Running Low/Last Chance

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There a two by Mitchell and Cook from the time they were still with Silver on OJC, originally done for Riverside or Jazzland:

f31222bif16.jpgc5624334791.jpg

The Muse dates are all good, besides his two there were some with Bill Hardman (they had a band similar to his teaming up with Mitchell, saw it live, was great!) and one with Mickey Tucker. His quartet date for VeeJay (released on Affinity) is good, too. Haven't heard his SteepleChase dates, but suspect they're okay. He was a role model for a musician always appreciative of his peers.

AMG entry

Just ordered the Blue Mitchell set.

Is there any way of knowing when sets are going to time out? Shouldn't Mosaic make that clear on their website? I think I'll tell them that.

I'd think it would be pretty difficult for them to predict -- the website says "Last Chance reflects our best estimate that the set will be sold out soon which can range anywhere from tomorrow to two months". I'm sure the mad rush on the Blue Mitchell set that this thread set off generated a big spike in their sales during the past few weeks.

It would be nice if they had a "total number remaining" counter or something. At least that would give us an idea of how soon things might run out.

Has Bring It on Home to Me or Heads Up ever been issued on single compact discs in the US, Japan etc? I'm still on the fence about buying the Mosaic set even though it's running low.

I have Step Lightly on a TOCJ, The Thing to Do and Down With It on US issues and Boss Horn on the Spanish Blue Note-Time Life edition.

If Bring It On Home to Me and Heads Up haven't been released on CD, is there any plans to do so anywhere in the near future?

I hesitated so long before buying this one, and it's so much better than I thought!

I did not hesitate that long (have it since 2 or 3 or even 4 years) - but it was WAAAY better than I expected, too!

What I love about the second to fourth albums (the Mitchell-Cook band) is that they're so timelessly old-fashioned, solid, playing shout choruses and such things, just doing their thing, without having to bother much abouth what's going around of them (yet Corea certainly brings in some touches of "new", and he was a musician then at the point of starting all his great experimental music, as the original Return to Forever and Circle).

ubu

ubu-I won't recommend this, but I know I should have listened to discs 2-4 before disc 1 of that one...

Mark, I was thinking it over several times, too. But generally, I am slowly and unforcedly working my way back (first from modal/free to bop, and now to swing and earlier things), and I like almost anything I have yet encountered. And if I don't like it now, there might still come a time I will... ;)

Anyway, I think I do have some sort of idea of what I will going to hear.

ubu

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many Blue Mitchell sets are left?

Drop them an email (via the Feedback function of the website) - they'll probably answer you within 24 hours.

By the way, I did already receive the Atlantic New Orleans set (only a week for surface shipping! And while customs opened, they failed to take not it's worth is about twice as much as the maximum allowed to import without fees... lucky me, for a change!).

After reading the comments about disc 1 and not starting with disc 1 I obviously had to start with disc 1 ;) - and I do like it! Even very much so! Maybe not the stuff you return to every day, but I really like it.

No time yet to listen to discs 2-4, but I'm sure I'll like them a lot!

ubu

They told that I should order immediately.  I haven't, but I will in next two days.

Don't wait. Order immediately. Though Mosaic says there are 70 left, things can change VERY quickly in Mosaicland. Get out the credit card and worry about it when the bill comes next month (like I always do!). If you miss out on this set you will never forgive yourself.