Edmond Hall, early clarinet great

Recently Jazz From Blue Lake checked out the early New Orleans clarinetists Johnny Dodds and Jimmy Noone.Tonight and tomorrow we continue the thread with recordings by Edmond Hall tonight (mostly from the 1940's on Blue Note, yet also including an Esquire All Star Session with Coleman Hakins and Art Tatum, as well as Louis Armstrong's All Stars Live in Grand Rapids, and the Eddie Condon Town Hall Concerts) and Sidney Bechet tomorrow, 10 p.m.-3 a.m. edt www.bluelake.org/radio

Hall seems to be a forgotten player in jazz.

I have this raido boradcast I got from a friend that worked at the radio station in Stuttgart. It is one of my favorite recordings. I listen to it offen.

March 15, 1961 Stuttgart, Radio SDR, Sendesaal Villa Berg

Edmond Hall,cl Horst Jankowski,p Peter Witte,b Hermann Mutschler,dr

1 Blue Room 3:55 2 Winnie 3:22 3 Adam And Eva 3:33 4 Swing For Dieter (aka Rompin' In 44) 4:04 5 Manhattan 3:04 6 Some Of These Days 3:44 7 Sweet Georgia Brown 3:37 8 Moonglow 4:25 9 Honeysuckle Rose 4:05 10 On The Sunny Side Of The Street 4:40

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• 7 months later...

I have this raido boradcast I got from a friend that worked at the radio station in Stuttgart. It is one of my favorite recordings. I listen to it offen.

1 Blue Room 3:55 2 Winnie 3:22 3 Adam And Eva 3:33 4 Swing For Dieter (aka Rompin' In 44) 4:04 5 Manhattan 3:04 6 Some Of These Days 3:44 7 Sweet Georgia Brown 3:37 8 Moonglow 4:25 9 Honeysuckle Rose 4:05 10 On The Sunny Side Of The Street 4:40

Sounds fantastic. Is this commercially available somewhere? Hall is by far my favourite clarinet player.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds fantastic. Is this commercially available somewhere? Hall is by far my favourite clarinet player.

No it was never released before.

No it was never released before.

Never released at all, according to the definitive book on Hall, "Profoundly Blue" by Manfred Selchow. It's documented (with a different running order) on page 470, with the notation 'tape only'. It seems that you have a real gem, Hardbopjazz...

Ed Hall's my favourite clarinetist...nobody was HOTTER.

One of my favorites too. I like Herb as well.

This thread inspired me to pull out this.

Hall.jpg

I agree: Petite Fleur is a fine record. I have the LP of it, autographed to my by Edmond...

I knew brother Herb Hall better than Ed -- Herb recorded in Toronto a couple of times, for Sackville. I thought there was a familial similarity in their sound, but Herb disagreed, saying they didn't sound at all alike. Hmmmmmm

Count me in as a big fan of Edmond Hall. One of the greats. Funny thing as regards Herb - years ago I used to think they sounded alike. Not now. ??

Check out some Benny Goodman stuff from the thirties and early forties. When Benny growls he sounds an awful lot like Edmond. One side like this that comes to mind is Benny's "Royal Garden Blues."