RIP Snooky Young

Free For All

Just heard he passed. An amazing career from Jimmy Lunceford to Basie to Lionel Hampton to Thad & Mel to the Tonight Show band to the Clayton/Hamilton band with many stops in between. A master of the plunger and a great lead player. The man knew how to swing.

I haven't found an obit yet; if someone finds one please add a link.

I saw this news earlier this evening on another board. One of the greatest lead trumpet players ever. I heard him first on Thad and Mel's "Central Park West" LP and remember thinking, "Man, that guy's a strong lead player."

RIP Snooky, and thanks for firing up all those great big band recordings.

Great YouTube video here of Thad in Mel in '68 with Snooky on lead.

Notice the shot around 2:35 of Snooky enjoying Roland Hanna's amazing solo.

Edited by John Tapscott

Damn, now there's a cat who had a blessed life and must've had a heart bigger than life itself to have lived it all the way he did.

I'll put him down as the greatest lead player as far as my personal tastes go for that type of thing. Like Paul said, he knew how to swing. Plus he knew how to make a section, and ensemble, and a whole damn band swing.

Amazing career, amazing life, amazing player, and unlike most lead palyers, a damn fine soloist as well.

Nobody can say that he never carpe diemed, not to have done it like that.

God bless Snooky Young. RIP & MUCHAS gracias.

I saw this news earlier this evening on another board. One of the greatest lead trumpet players ever. I heard him first on Thad and Mel's "Central Park West" LP and remember thinking, "Man, that guy's a strong lead player."

RIP Snooky, and thanks for firing up all those great big band recordings.

Great YouTube video here of Thad in Mel in '68 with Snooky on lead.

Notice the shot around 2:35 of Snooky enjoying Roland Hanna's amazing solo.

please name everyone in this video

:)

The saxes left to right: Joe Henderson, Jerry Dodgion, Jerome Richardson, Eddie Daniels, Pepper Adams.

Other than Snooky on lead I'm not sure about the other trumpets. My guesses would include Danny Moore, Al Porcino....possibly Richard Williams?

Jimmy Knepper and Eddie Bert are in the trombone section- I'm not sure about the other two. Benny Powell maybe?

Of course, Mel, Roland Hanna and Richard Davis are in the rhythm section.

Edited by Free For All

Jerome Richardson, Jerry Dodgion, Joe Henderson, Eddie Daniels, Pepper Adams = reeds

Snooky Young, Richard Williams(?). ? & = tpts

Cliff Heather, ?, Garnett Brown, Jimmy Knepper = tbns

Roland Hanna, Richard Davis, Mel Lewis = rhythm section

and Thad Jones as The Beaver.

Richard Williams on 3rd, right? Yeah, seems like a good call, as doe Al Porcino.

Eddie Bert, yeah, knew the face, couldn't place the name.

You remember Cliff Heather, right Paul? The old man of the band!

An I think that's Garnett Brown's forhead. But I could be wrong.

Very sad to hear this. I think the last time I saw him was in the trumpet section of Gerald Wilson's Orchestra. There was some comment made at the time regarding the combined ages of Gerald, Snooky and Jack Nimitz (I think). RIP Snooky - at least he had a good long 'innings' and what a career. :(

Edited by sidewinder

When I was a teenage rock and roll fan, and had never heard a jazz album, I was impressed with his sound in his brief soloing on The Band's "Rock of Ages". It made me more receptive to checking out trumpet players in jazz (which I had accomplished in large quantity within a few years later).

When I was a teenage rock and roll fan, and had never heard a jazz album, I was impressed with his sound in his brief soloing on The Band's "Rock of Ages". It made me more receptive to checking out trumpet players in jazz (which I had accomplished in large quantity within a few years later).

That's where I first encountered him too. That was quite a horn section: Young, Howard Johnson, Earl McIntyre, J.D. Parran and Joe Farrell.

I've seen him a couple times recently with the Clayton/Hamilton big band. Section mate Clay Jenkins usually assists him out to his seat- I'm sure people think "Wow, that guy is really old- wonder if he can still play?". Then the rest of the band comes out and they start "I Be Serious 'Bout Dem Blues" which has a short intro then Snooky stands up and WAILS on a plunger solo. People go absolutely nuts. It sets a perfect tone for the concert. :)

That's where I first encountered him too. That was quite a horn section: Young, Howard Johnson, Earl McIntyre, J.D. Parran and Joe Farrell.

Oh, yeah, I loved that album. Baby, don't do it, don't you break my heart.

band_rock_of_ages_band_in_concert-SABB11045-1243451985.jpeg

Edited by alankin

That video of Thad Jones & Mel Lewis & the band is pretty great - I remember almost getting mad many years ago during a phone conversation with the leader of some local big band when he called Thad & Mel out of style or whatever ... his band was nice, I had been asked to write about them at the occasion of their umpteenth anniversary, but I have yet to hear a local big band playing on that level.

Players like Snooky Young are indispensable and invaluable for music on such a level, they get overlooked by the public, raved about only by connoisseurs like those that write here, but what would music be without them? Hearing about the passing od such musicians makes me melancholy - R.I.P. and a million thanks for the music.