What are you thinking now?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that apparently no one understood that my previous post on this thread referred to a hilarious episode of the Andy Griffith show, titled "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.", in which Gomer is punished by having to sit alone in a quonset hut with a bucket over his head. The dialogue between Andy and Gomer when Andy discovers Gomer there, is among my favorite in all literature.

The amazingly delicious mattcha parfait I had in Kyoto, the gourmet capital of the world imho.

The photo does it no justice.

2996629697_a44a236ef9.jpg

so what is in this??

:excited:

The one I had was a bit different and probably better. I've tried to list all the contents as best I can.

Two types of 'matcha' (green tea) soft ice cream

Vanilla soft ice cream

Whipped cream

Matcha sponge cake

Soft Yatsuhashi, a cinammon sweet bean paste.

Anko regular sweet bean paste.

Apricots

Kuromame ( sweet black beans)

Mochi balls

Mint

Broken pieces of hard Yatsuhashi

A Yatsuhashi stick.

Getting the correct balance between the ingredients is important. The end result is light and not cloying but almost indescribably delicious. :)

Edited by kinuta

Sorry you feel that way. Just thought it was an interesting place for random thoughts that some might enjoy reading. I'm enjoying reading the thoughts.

3709.jpg?_ex=240x240

Roasted black beans, crunchy and addictive.

Made me think of mixed nuts, I love mixed nuts and eat too many when I have them.

That's an interesting thought Chuck. I've wondered before whether composers were sometimes writing music that they could peform or writing for a virtuoso's skills. I don't really know enough about Debussy and his biographical information to know what kind of a pianist he was.

I'm more familiar with his orchestral work than his solo piano pieces, though I do have recordings of I think most of those, and from several different pianists. Pretty challenging piano pieces, great skill would be needed is my guess. (I have playad piano, but I'm no judge of difficulty as I'm awful).

If I had to guess I'd say Debussy's skills weren't up to it, but that's just a guess.

Edited by jazzbo

The amazingly delicious mattcha parfait I had in Kyoto, the gourmet capital of the world imho.

so what is in this??

The one I had was a bit different and probably better. I've tried to list all the contents as best I can.

Vanilla soft ice cream

Whipped cream

Matcha sponge cake

Apricots

Mochi balls

Mint

A Yatsuhashi stick.

Getting the correct balance between the ingredients is important. The end result is light and not cloying but almost indescribably delicious. :)

o.k. i want to try one - can i get one in the States?

:mellow:

so what is in this??

Vanilla soft ice cream

Whipped cream

Matcha sponge cake

Apricots

Mochi balls

Mint

A Yatsuhashi stick.

o.k. i want to try one - can i get one in the States?

:mellow:

LOL.

I'd say that's highly unlikely but you'd better ask an American poster about that, I wouldn't know.

Perhaps there is a restaurant in NYC specializing in Kyoto cuisine but I very much doubt that it would be up to the standard of the real thing.

Matcha parfait is a speciality of Kyoto.

Afterthought : If you can find a Japanese department store like Mitsukoshi, Seibu etc that may be your best bet. They usually have upscale tea shops and cafes that might well sell it.

Edited by kinuta