JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some small group Sam Rivers would be great. Essence - The Heat And Warmth of Free Jazz, the tuba trio live at Amsterdam's BIM HUIS in 1976, has some truly stellar moments (e.g. the on-fire "Group With Tenor" from Vol. 1). Rivers' Paragon and The Quest are also excellent trio records (with bass instead of tuba). To my ears, all of these records step up the energy that one hears on Dogon A.D..

how about some Dean Benedetti? I mean, recordings of HIS playing, not Bird's.

Available on the Mosaic set.

Benedetti's own playing?

Yes, there's a demo acetate of a Benedetti band which includes Jimmy Knepper and some home recordings - Benedetti playing along with records, etc.

Some small group Sam Rivers would be great. Essence - The Heat And Warmth of Free Jazz, the tuba trio live at Amsterdam's BIM HUIS in 1976, has some truly stellar moments (e.g. the on-fire "Group With Tenor" from Vol. 1). Rivers' Paragon and The Quest are also excellent trio records (with bass instead of tuba). To my ears, all of these records step up the energy that one hears on Dogon A.D..

A copmlete edition of the Bimhuis material would be wonderful!

Would be a 3CD set, I assume... or could it be squeezed (squozen?) onto two? I've not heard the final encore, and it seems the Circle LPs had the sets jumbled around or something (and the two encores only appeared on LPs by various artists).

"Paragon" is a wonderful album, in my opinion. Got the LP and a friend made me a CDR-dub (which I've not even listened to yet... got to do that soon). That's a fine suggestion for a single Rivers album, I think (but I don't nearly know all of his seventies albums, I think).

Black Unity Trio - Al-Fatihah (Salaam records, with abdul wadud, joe phillips and haasan al hut)

dimly remember reading about someone trying to reissue that one and not getting past either wadud or phillips who was against a reissue for some reason or other... (Ubu?)

(clips on youtube sound pretty great to me though... on page 60 here is more on this band

Edited by Niko

Black Unity Trio - Al-Fatihah (Salaam records, with abdul wadud, joe phillips and haasan al hut)

dimly remember reading about someone trying to reissue that one and not getting past either wadud or phillips who was against a reissue for some reason or other... (Ubu?)

(clips on youtube sound pretty great to me though... on page 60 here is more on this band

Would have to look it up but yes, there were attempts... maybe multiple ones. Thought it was Mumin (Phillips), while Wadud's whereabouts remain mysterious... also I think the album - while certainly being some kind of underground classic - doesn't live up to Jonathan's expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the gnashing of teeth over the cost of a Joe Daley 3 disc box, my view is that any self-respecting jazz obsessive has no choice. If JLH puts it out, you buy it. End of story.

I like your "avatar" image. I clearly remember going to the record store when I was a teenager and buying that Andrew Hill as well as the Sam Rivers from the same series. I had never heard either player at that time. They changed my life! Particularly the Hill; now I have everything he ever released.

Yeah, that's a killer LP. It's not earth-shattering in the broad sense, but as far as intense free jazz records go, it's mighty fine.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Yeah, that's a killer LP. It's not earth-shattering in the broad sense, but as far as intense free jazz records go, it's mighty fine.

Agreed - but as I said above, I think that's not quite up to JLH's scrutiny.

alas...

Hey all, thanks to all of you who recommended I hear Gene Shaw's Carnival Sketches. Very fine LP which I had never heard. Love it. And yes this must be his best work as it is awfully good. I guess next will be Steig. And good news. Looks like I have the rights to Carter Bradford Flying Dutchman and, if I wish, Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened. So that is very very good news. The Flying Dutchman catalog was finally sold and I got first rights to those performances. Those I'll do soon, because I need some big smackers to do Joe Daley correctly. I'll probably just run 1000 Joe Daley's and it will be a gorgeous box set and a one time take it or leave it affair. Anyway, we're making progress here. And for those who have not heard Steig's Flute Fever, you'll be wowed.