JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Glad to hear you pressing forward with the box.

Ironically enough, I would describe the Daley to someone who hasn't heard it as a cross between Sonny Rollins' FREEDOM SUITE and Anthony Ortega's NEW DANCE. The sound on that Sonny record is particularly dry, unlike the proto Energy music of the Village Vanguard material, or his late 60s trios; I think Daley, who is obviously very Rollins-influenced, comes closest to this particular version of Sonny's playing. And it shares with NEW DANCE an adventurous insider-stepping-outside vibe, a searching, wide-eyed, late night quality. I also feel a connection between Russell Thorne and Chuck Domanico. Both play insanely well on these records

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(got cut off)

...especially in the arco mode. I'd be interested to know what you think of this, Jonathan. Perhaps I'm off the mark, but that's what I hear. I think a marriage of those two incredible recordings would be enough to persuade someone to take a chance. If you like Sonny Rollins, Lee Konitz, Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter in NEFERTITI mode ... I can't imagine you wouldn't like the Joe Daley Trio.

Dear All, Thanks again for all your comments and intelligent observations. As a first note, JSngry, sorry didn't mean to imply you thought Coker = Warne. Coker does have that influence for sure. I wasn't clear at all on that. By the way I just listened to Warne playing on Confirmation on the CD Two Not One with Konitz. Wow. Well good news Colinmce. New Dance was put out by my company Revelation Records. In fact it was recorded in my residence at the time above Pasadena. If you have it you'll see me as a youngster sitting at the piano in the picture. I think your observations are very accurate. And yes Domanico is fabulous. Love his playing. I may put out New Dance as a reissue since I own the rights. I know Hat Hut leased the rights to it from my partner and it is available, but I may redo it in the future. John L, I own all the rights to our Revelation material I will put out some Marsh. For sure. In fact I am making some tape copies for a specialized audiophile market who have tape machines and the second tape issue will be Marsh in a live performance in Pasadena. But in the future I'll put out the CD reissues of Warne. I have all the tapes right here. I'm so glad some of you know about Warne and his incredible playing. He has always been one of my favorite players.

Wow, CD issues of Warne's Revelation material would be fantastic! I have the hatOLOGY, but I'd like to have more, much more. I saw Warne live in the Netherlands in the 1970s and I've always loved his recordings from the Atlantics onwards.

Edited by J.A.W.

Ok...let me go out on a limb here...any chance that you guys have (or could get) the unedited Half Note tapes of Warne/Lee/Etc that Revelation released as the two volumes as The Art Of Improvising, the two albums of just Warne's solos? Those thing are freakin' epic.

Verve released 12 of them, but the Revelation albums are 34 solos, so there's (at least) 22 more to be unleashed. If you could get that stuff out...then we'd have world peace, maybe...

Jonathan, I was aware about your work with Anthony Ortega and Revelation, so it's great to get your perspective; Thanks. Wonderful to hear about Warne. I too took out NE PLUS ULTRA today and jumped right online to grab the Copenhagen/Kenny Drew, Germany 1980, and PAUSA set with Konitz. Never cam have too much Warne.

And not to overload you with requests, but how about putting out your two Ortega albums as released (since Hat cut them up)? I also love the Gary Foster, Clare Fischer and Carmell Jones sides!

John L, I own all the rights to our Revelation material I will put out some Marsh. For sure. In fact I am making some tape copies for a specialized audiophile market who have tape machines and the second tape issue will be Marsh in a live performance in Pasadena. But in the future I'll put out the CD reissues of Warne. I have all the tapes right here. I'm so glad some of you know about Warne and his incredible playing. He has always been one of my favorite players.

Jonathan - Some angel must have sent you down to earth to bring happiness to us jazz lovers!

Thank you all for your enthusiasm. As a note the Marsh/Kontiz material from the Half Note sessions was put out in an unedited version Lee Konitz/Warne Marsh Live at the Half Note or some such name. The performances with Bill Evans on piano (Tristano ironically was off the night they taped the sessions to teach) are monumental. We at Revelation as mentioned put out an edited version before that with only the Marsh solos with all else edited out. Warne gave us those edited tapes and we put them to vinyl. Whether I can reissue these again I have to see. We owned the rights back then and perhaps that would legally give me the right to put them out again edited for Marsh fans. I know Lee was not happy about those edited versions and I would not want to cause any upset. So we'll see what I've got for the future. But Warne is one of the all time greats and I'll figure something out.

Edited by JLH

The original Revelation liner notes say that Lennie had the tapes (gotten from Verve), thought the material was of no real value except for Warne's playing, which he considered the tapes to be one of the best documents extant.. So he edited it down to just the Warne solos.

That's what the original Revelation liner notes say, anyway.

As mentioned earier, there would be hopes that there is a lot more unedited material to be gotten to, in light of the number of tunes on the two Revelation LPs vs the number of full performances put out by Verve.

The original Revelation liner notes say that Lennie had the tapes (gotten from Verve), thought the material was of no real value except for Warne's playing, which he considered the tapes to be one of the best documents extant.. So he edited it down to just the Warne solos.

That's what the original Revelation liner notes say, anyway.

That subject came up a while back on the Jazz Corner board. Here is what Charles Coffman posted about it:

I think the story behind Lennie's editing of Warne's solos is detailed in Safford's book. Briefly, Lennie had a copy of the tapes and thought Warne should listen to his playing on that session, so he asked Connie Crothers to make an edited version which was sent to Warne. Later, JW Hardy of Revelation records issued this truncated tape, with misleading liner notes implying that only Warne's solos were of interest. Lee was very hurt by this until Connie explained years later that Lennie never had said anything derogatory about Lee's playing on the date. As the Verve reissue demonstrates, both Lee and Bill played very well on that session also. It seems Warne may have been somewhat remiss or careless in allowing Hardy to release "Art of Improvising" with inaccurate information. It was rather a confusing situation that ensued. Also, the Verve box is not the complete session, so many of the solos Warne played are still only to be found on the "Art of Impovising" albums.

Indeed!

And most fascinating, too! I wasn't aware that any more than the great Verve 2CD set might even be around from there!

Would make a nice JLH-produced Mosaic Select, I guess!

(That is not to state anything against a Phonographic release, of course... the Verve-involvement made me think of Mosaic - but then if the tapes don't belong to them, it might be all different again!)

I would describe the Daley to someone who hasn't heard it as a cross between Sonny Rollins' FREEDOM SUITE and Anthony Ortega's NEW DANCE. ... I think Daley, who is obviously very Rollins-influenced, comes closest to this particular version of Sonny's playing. And it shares with NEW DANCE an adventurous insider-stepping-outside vibe, a searching, wide-eyed, late night quality. I also feel a connection between Russell Thorne and Chuck Domanico.

Good call.

If more people on the fence about this reissue (who haven't heard a note of Daley) had an axis to work from, I think there'll potentially be more buyers willing to take a risk. The risk will pay off. This is fantastic music. I'm purchasing the box set on Day One.

I think it's amazing that Jonathan is here in the jazz reissue market, putting up his own funds for consistently high-quality product, when major labels just ho-hum it into nothingness. In 2012, quality jazz reissues on compact disc feel like a great gift (at least to me). Who says the CD is dead?!?

Geez, you guys are inspiring as can be. it is so appreciated. So after I get this Fischer, Extension out in the next week, I'll do Steig, Flute Fever and then Daley. I'll save the money for Daley and do it right. That's three killer reissues in a row. The Fischer, Extension to me is mind blowing and one of the greatest large ensemble arrangements I have ever heard. Very exciting. And not an easy sell itself. At least the Dixon and Hemphill had a reputation whereas these next two are a bit out of the blue, I think. Thoughts?

Geez, you guys are inspiring as can be. it is so appreciated. So after I get this Fischer, Extension out in the next week, I'll do Steig, Flute Fever and then Daley. I'll save the money for Daley and do it right. That's three killer reissues in a row. The Fischer, Extension to me is mind blowing and one of the greatest large ensemble arrangements I have ever heard. Very exciting. And not an easy sell itself. At least the Dixon and Hemphill had a reputation whereas these next two are a bit out of the blue, I think. Thoughts?

How about a website/facebook documenting the reissues and the outstanding reviews they have received. Good photos of the product would help push the reissues to those unfamiliar with the artists.