Whynot or Why Not label

romualdo

Not sure if a thread has already been commenced on this wonderful label

Over the past 2 years or so Candid (UK) have been releasing titles from this mid to late 70's Japanese label (some were recorded in the 80's & released on other labels).

I've picked up eight of these, mostly the predictable titles - Air, Walt Dickerson, Ted Curson, Don Pullen (wasn't a Whynot LP release), Muhal Richard Abrams

but recently I had a go at two of the more obscure artists ie Monty Waters & Charles Sullivan - both have a very small recorded legacy (Sullivan was also released on Strata East which was reissued on Inner City - currently available) but both of these sessions are tremendous.

Charles Sullivan sounds a tad like Woody Shaw.

Wonder why these guys never had greater exposure?

Other releases include

Chico Freeman - Lord Riff & Me, Morning Prayer

Donald Smith - Luv

George Cables - Why Not

Joe Lee Wilson - Shout For Trane

Joseph Bonner - Triangle

Kenny Barron - Live

Manhattan Graffiti Four - MG4

Sonny Fortune - Invitation

Walt Dickerson - 1976

Any comments on these releases would be most welcome

Maybe a few bootlegs were released on cdr then. . . .

The easiest way to tell cdr from cd is "tint." Most common these days is a light green tint. There are also blue, purple, black. . . Some are hardly tinted at all though, that's become quite common on purchased cdrs.

Plus they just look different, they don't look as if they're uniformly a plated finish, They often to me seem to look as if they're covered with a host of concentric circles barely visible.

Edited by jazzbo

Why Not albums wdere carefully produced and manufactured. Bought several of them when they came out (on vinyl): Air, Ted Curson, Walt Dickerson Charles Sullivan.

There is also an Andrew Cyrille album (Junction) that also came out on IPS.

Excellent sound on all those I heard.

I have the George Cables on vinyl (very nice) and would really like to get the Walt Dickerson !

New member here. Yes the Dickerson is excellent. I have the Japanese version. The other Dickerson disc from this time (Tell me only the beautiful things) is even better. The opening unaccompanied solo on the first track is one of my favourite Dickerson moments, and Ware is very fine throughout. The two Air albums also fine.

I have the George Cables on vinyl (very nice) and would really like to get the Walt Dickerson !

New member here. Yes the Dickerson is excellent. I have the Japanese version. The other Dickerson disc from this time (Tell me only the beautiful things) is even better. The opening unaccompanied solo on the first track is one of my favourite Dickerson moments, and Ware is very fine throughout. The two Air albums also fine.

Welcome - Hope you'll stick around and join the conversations.