Duke with Django

fasstrack

Yesterday on WKCR in NY among other treasures played on Ellington's birthday was a concert at the Chicago Civic Opera House with Django Reinhardt as featured performer. I know this is well-known material but I don't own it. What, if anything, is the CD configuration?

Also, does anyone know if the other concert with Duke/Django at Carnegie Hall----where Django supposedly missed most of the show b/c he told the cabbie to take him to East 57th Street---was recorded?

Maybe this should be moved to 'Offering and Looking For'---but I don't know what I'm looking for yet.

Fasstrack, the Chicago 1946 concert was previously released on MusicMasters and got reissued not too long ago:

Ellington Chicago 1946

The recently-unearthed Savory collection includes an excellent track of Django playing with Ellington--can't remember if it's from the Carnegie Hall concert or not, but I'm pretty sure that it is. There'll be a brief sample of it on next week's Night Lights show.

Edited by ghost of miles

The Chicago concert with Django Reinhardt was recorded by John Steiner. The full Django segment was first released on Vol. 13 of the Intégrale Django Reinhardt from Frémeaux & Associés

51McVR6l3VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The thoroughly researched liner notes indicate that the November 23 concert at Carnegie Hall was recorded (a portion came out on VDiscs, but not the Django appearance).

The Carnegie Hall concerts were disasters for Django who showed up late at the opening concert after he ran into French boxing hero Marcel Cerdan. Django did not play with the orchestra. The tour with Duke was cut short after the incident!