Calling All Romantics

fasstrack

Joel Fass solo guitar

Smalls 181 W.10th NY, NY

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com

Monday, May 2nd

Early show: 7:30-9:15

For people in the NY area, especially you early birds:

I'm playing the early two sets fine tuning material for a solo guitar CD I want to record called Calling all Romantics. I've been playing solo guitar for over 30 years and it's time to document it. I'm using this gig to read the crowd and fine-tune the material. The theme is Romanticism---a wide berth, admittedly. Like all the gigs I lead I will stretch out and dig into what I have artistically, but the tunes are the star.

I'd especially like to see my friends to inspire me to play well and give spiritual support for the project. If you can't make it there will be a live stream at the website listed up top. All gigs are also archived there. Click on artists, the guitar icon, my name

See you at Smalls

Edited by fasstrack

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com

Link fixed to where it's live.

FYI - if you want a clickable link in a post here, you gotta preface it with whatever the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol is. It's usually http://

Just so you know.

Alright. Thanks, and I just dusted off my dunce cap. Come to think of it there was no dust on it. :w:party: (only emoticon with a cap. I'm sure more will follow from youse wags)

It was nice, especially the 2nd set. Amazing house for a Monday and that inspired me. The 1st set my nerves got the better of me on some tunes, speeding up (when you hear that as you play it's uncomfortable and you just have to go with it). I was making mistakes and forgetting things, too. Also nerves. And I'm not hard on myself. This was the first gig back after quite some time, so I was brave! I kept taking chances and digging in and before long it settled down and swung. The ballads came off well, I thought, and it was not easy listening for them (or me) b/c I will play from a whisper to a roar, and when it's really quiet you can hear the talking cutting through. But ballads, by the end of them, calm a crowd down, too.

All this is very therapeutic and makes you focus more. Last night kept getting better and better. I had a singer, Maryanne Sollivan, and a keyboard player, Brian Charette play the last two tunes and that worked well for relative strangers, and was well-received. The crowd was enormous by then.

On to the next one. I really feel like playing and performing now.

Edited by fasstrack