Computer Gurus: internet problems

Please, try this.

1. Turn your computer off.

2. Turn your modem off (unplug it). Also disconnect the network cable from the modem to the computer. Leave it unplugged from power for about a minute.

3. Turn the modem back on, but don't hook the computer back up yet.

4. See if there is a reset switch on it somewhere (like I said, it's probably recessed).

5. Hold the reset switch down for a good 20 seconds.

6. Wait till all the lights settle down.

7. Plug the network cable back into the computer and power the computer on.

Test it and see how it behaves.

Edited by Shawn

Please, try this.

1. Turn your computer off.

2. Turn your modem off (unplug it). Also disconnect the network cable from the modem to the computer. Leave it unplugged from power for about a minute.

3. Turn the modem back on, but don't hook the computer back up yet.

4. See if there is a reset switch on it somewhere (like I said, it's probably recessed).

5. Hold the reset switch down for a good 20 seconds.

6. Wait till all the lights settle down.

7. Plug the network cable back into the computer and power the computer on.

Test it and see how it behaves.

Shawn, for my own edification, can you tell me what you think might be going on in terms of certificate recognition that a power cycle would fix?

Jim, I agree. I've thought about it, but I don't have the money now. I understand that a good game machine (which I understand to be the standard nowadays) costs $700 or so. I hope to have that much maybe in six months, but not anything near that today.

I was pretty much in the same boat as you, with a 9-year-old computer that I kept intending to replace but kept putting it off because I didn't want to have to screw around with moving files, reloading software, etc. (I work in IT, so when I come home I don't really want to spend a lot of time fixing my own computer). What finally got me off the fence was running across a deal too good to resist - one of the local big-box specialty computer stores had a dozen or so refurbished HP desktops that normally sell for $450 or so for $339 each. They're not high-end gamer machines, but they have considerably more horsepower than you normally can find at that price point - Windows 7 Home Premium, 4GB RAM, AMD quad-core 2.9GHz Athlon CPU, 750GB hard drive, built-in wireless (this came in real handy when I was setting up the machine over the course of a couple of weekends, since I didn't have to run a network cable to my router in the other room). Of course, like all HP machines it had oodles of crapware preinstalled on it, so I had to spend some time removing all of that from the startup folder and reconfiguring it the way I wanted it, but after doing so I can't believe I waited so long to get a new machine. It's a lot faster than my old machine, for what I do on a regular basis (I'm not a gamer at all, but those who have played games on this particular machine have commented that it acquits itself respectably on that front for a midpriced desktop). Only real drawback is the anemic 250W power supply, which will have to be upgraded if I start using the expansion slots.

Also got a nice 23" Samsung monitor on sale for $150, so for a little over $500 with tax, I'm very satisfied. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient and shop around. As an interim measure until you've accumulated the necessary cash, you may want to try backing up all your files and reinstalling your operating system - on a old machine, the registry can get corrupted over time and the quickest way to fix it is usually to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything.

Shawn, for my own edification, can you tell me what you think might be going on in terms of certificate recognition that a power cycle would fix?

Just trying to rule out the Modem as a possible cause. Thus suggested a reset of that device (to clear the flash memory).

When troubleshooting internet stuff, I always like to start at the source (modem, router, etc) and then move to the computer last.

Shawn, I forgot to do what you suggested regarding the modem. But this afternoon, all of my problems magically disappeared on Firefox. I still had the certificate issue on IE, but since I rarely use IE I don't care very much.

Any ideas as to why the problems would disappear? Do you think that the problem may have been with my ISP, TimeWarner Cable?

...so for a little over $500 with tax, I'm very satisfied. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient and shop around.

Sounds great, Dave! I am on Newegg's mailing list. Do you think that they would be a source of good deals for a unit? Most of their specials are for parts.

...so for a little over $500 with tax, I'm very satisfied. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient and shop around.

Sounds great, Dave! I am on Newegg's mailing list. Do you think that they would be a source of good deals for a unit? Most of their specials are for parts.

Yeah, I'm on Newegg's list as well, but I've only ever used them for parts. They do have the occasional deal for a desktop or laptop there, though.

I got my machine at Micro Center - they have stores in many cities, or you can order on the website (but some items are only available for in-store pickup). As an example, here is quite a good deal on a model that was the successor to the one I got, and this one's new instead of refurbished.

I would also strongly recommend a bigger monitor as opposed to a smaller one - you won't be sorry. Make sure you get a DVI cable as opposed to the standard VGA cable that comes with most monitors, they're not cheap but are better for digital video applications.

Edited by Dave Garrett

Thanks Dave. We have a BJ's very nearby. Do you think that their HP's are any good?

There is also a Sam's not much further away, but I've never been there.

Not familiar with BJ's except through word of mouth - we don't have them here. And I can't say that I've really paid attention to the computer offerings at Sam's, as I tend to prefer Costco when it comes to warehouse club stores.

The local newspaper has a very good technology columnist who publishes recommended specifications for desktops and laptops every year, geared toward novice, home, and power users. You will probably find his most recent update for desktops useful.

There have been many discussions on this board about Mac vs. PCs. The Mac mini costs $699, and there's really no discounting - that's the price. You can probably find better deals on PCs - faster processors, more RAM, larger hard drives and the such. In my experience, with a Mac you have software and hardware that works, and far fewer worries about viruses. The peace of mind factor is worth the difference in price.

The first computer I ever owned was a Mac IIx. And I've given serious thought to making the switch to an iMac for some time but ultimately couldn't justify the price differential. Macs are very nice systems, and OS X gets points from me for being Unix-based (and if not quite free like the various Linux distros, certainly inexpensive enough). But if you haven't lived with Windows 7 for a while, and your experience of MS operating systems is limited to previous versions of Windows, you might be quite surprised by how much it just works.

This series of posts is worth reading, particularly the second one containing the Mac vs. Windows PC comparison table.

I got a new computer with Windows 7 last year, and am very pleased with the OS. It is a huge improvement on Windows XP. Windows XP was in its turn a huge improvement on previous Windows versions when it came out, but compared to Windows 7 it definitely shows its age.

As antivirus software you can download the free Microsoft Security Essentials. It has been doing well in tests, is unobtrusive and light on the resources.