Dot Records founder Randy Wood dies

brownie

Wasn't Dot Lawrence Welk's label for many years? I also think that Steve Allen recorded for them.

PS - Now that I have taken the time to read the obit, which I should have done before posting, I can see about Welk. I remember Welk with Ranwood as well, but didn't know that that was another Randy Wood operation. I had also forgotten that Wipeout was on Dot.

Edited by GA Russell

What would be considered R&B records 1945-1948? Louis Jordan? Illinois Jacquet? Charles Brown? T-Bone Walker? I can think of quite a few people in the late '40s but not as early as '45. (I'm not saying there weren't any, just that I don't know of any unless includes a lot of musicians I think of as Blues artists.)

What would be considered R&B records 1945-1948? Louis Jordan? Illinois Jacquet? Charles Brown? T-Bone Walker? I can think of quite a few people in the late '40s but not as early as '45. (I'm not saying there weren't any, just that I don't know of any unless includes a lot of musicians I think of as Blues artists.)

The term "R&B" had not been coined yet and it is of course a gradual shift from swing and blues and not always easy to draw the lines between the different genres, but some who recorded in 1945 what in retrospect is considered to be early R&B are:

Louis Jordan

T-Bone Walker

Joe Liggins

Roy Milton

Wynonie Harris

Bull Moose Jackson

Jack McVea