Sonny Rollins- Tenor Madness Prestige Stereo Issue

is the blue label 'trident' logo lp, you know, the one w/ the diff cover, and it says 'remixed for stereo...etc'.............

well i was lookin at one today, it is vangelder stamped and stuff....is this really so, did rvg electronically rechannel it for stereo and do the new cuts of it and stuff, or is this true stereo, or, wel i have the VDJ cd issue which is pretty amazing, but i need to know abt this issue, thanks

is the blue label 'trident' logo lp, you know, the one w/ the diff cover, and it says 'remixed for stereo...etc'.............

well i was lookin at one today, it is vangelder stamped and stuff....is this really so, did rvg electronically rechannel it for stereo and do the new cuts of it and stuff, or is this true stereo, or, wel i have the VDJ cd issue which is pretty amazing, but i need to know abt this issue, thanks

Actually it probably says "Remastered for Stereo", as do most Prestige fake stereo reissues. This 1956 session was not recorded in stereo. The fact that RVG did the fake stereo remaster is interesting. As fake stereo releases go, these Prestiges aren't so bad - it's just a simple lows on one side, highs on the other, and hitting the mono button (if you've got one) usually can make it listenable. In fact, many of them, even though they claimed to be remastered for stereo, actually play very close to mono.

Actually it probably says "Remastered for Stereo", as do most Prestige fake stereo reissues. This 1956 session was not recorded in stereo. The fact that RVG did the fake stereo remaster is interesting. As fake stereo releases go, these Prestiges aren't so bad - it's just a simple lows on one side, highs on the other, and hitting the mono button (if you've got one) usually can make it listenable. In fact, many of them, even though they claimed to be remastered for stereo, actually play very close to mono.

I had a few fake stereo LPs back in my "vinyl days", but hitting the mono button on the system I had back then didn't make them listenable. At best some artefacts remained, for instance something that sounded like phase distortion (for lack of a better description).

I had a few fake stereo LPs back in my "vinyl days", but hitting the mono button on the system I had back then didn't make them listenable. At best some artefacts remained, for instance something that sounded like phase distortion (for lack of a better description).

I was only referring to the Prestige fake stereos. There is more than one process in rechanneling for stereo, and Prestige's method was the least insidious. I'm not saying that combining the two channels is as good as mono, but those of us who came up in the late 60's and early 70's were forced to put up with rechanneling, as these were often the only available sources of the music at the time. I have long since purged all of the rechanneled records from my collection, and I would recommend that new listeners steer clear of them, but they do vary quite a bit - anywhere from reasonably listenable to completely unacceptable.

I was only referring to the Prestige fake stereos. There is more than one process in rechanneling for stereo, and Prestige's method was the least insidious. I'm not saying that combining the two channels is as good as mono, but those of us who came up in the late 60's and early 70's were forced to put up with rechanneling, as these were often the only available sources of the music at the time. I have long since purged all of the rechanneled records from my collection, and I would recommend that new listeners steer clear of them, but they do vary quite a bit - anywhere from reasonably listenable to completely unacceptable.

I still have all the old Decca Jazz Heritage series, but I *never* listen to them. (It's a sentimental thing.) I think they were probably the worst examples of reprocessing for stereo I ever heard.

gregmo

Yes chewy, the CD (I have the K2) is mono. Makes sense why on the OJC reissues of Eric Dolphy in Europe 1-3 that the "Remastered For Stereo" line is blacked out on the covers for vols. 2 and 3. Though those albums on CD are true stereo.

They were true stereo on vinyl as well. Occasionally, Prestige got it wrong. A few records labeled "Remastered for Stereo" actually played true stereo!

k2? i thought there was only one (1) cd issue of that material: the ojc "Messages" cd that elimated "alternating current"///

------------------------

well you know, its still analog, definetly closer generation to hank blowin' thru the mic than the cd is, its not that bad, the mono button i THINK helps slightly---------its still vintage copy of the orig mono tape, you know......i mean the record definetly has an analog presence to it. i really need the originals though