2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benches clearing brawl after Victorino gets drilled by Ramirez in last night's 9-2 loss to the Phillies.

Apparently, the Phils have resorted to trash talking as opposed to winning WS rings. That's fine. Fire up the Giants, boys...go ahead. Get it while it's cheap.

ap-201108052349857506984.jpg

Trash talking? Cholly saying, rightly, that Lincecum and Cain are "very,very,very,good" not great pitchers is trash talk? Please. Ramirez and Whiteside showed what a bunch of punks they are last night. They embarrassed the Giants organization.

Speak to your guys' manager. He was running off at the mouth about Lincecum and Cain after the Giants beat the Phils last week. That's fine. Get it while it's cheap.

Punks? And what was Placido Polanco doing charging Whiteside? The Phillies are all mouth and I guess that's all they got when it comes to trying to win championships. If they can't do it on the playing field they try to do it through insult and trash talking.

I have just become a Phillies hater.

Oh please. You really are comical. The Phillies have the best record in baseball and are a lock to make the playoffs of the 5th year in a row. The Giants got lucky last year when they won their first championship in over 50 years and now their fans act like they are a dynasty. Wake up. Your team has lost 8 of its last 9 games and is a half game in front of the Diamondbacks. Find me examples where any of the Phillies players have been accused of trash talking or insults. The only person that has said anything was the manager. Go back and read what Manuel said about Cain and Lincecum. He said they were not great pitchers, just good. He later clarified his comments to say that they were,"very, very, very good" pitchers. You call that trash talking?? Well guess what? Bochy agreed with him!!

Interestingly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Manuel's original point had some validity.

"I guess what Charlie's point is, is longevity," Bochy said. "He's right. When you call somebody great, they've done it over quite a few years."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/04/SPVU1KJHJA.DTL#ixzz1ULza52o9

Philly talk jocks aren't much better:

Tony Bruno calls Ramirez an illegal alien.

I quote From @TonyBrunoShow:

gutless #!@%*# Giants. Bochy is a coward for having his illegal alien pitcher hit a guy since mighty Frisco boys ...

Stop being a dope. How is Bruno a Philly talk jock? Yeah, he's from here but hasn't worked(or lived) locally in over 30 years.

gutless #!@%*# Giants. Bochy is a coward for having his illegal alien pitcher hit a guy since mighty Frisco boys ...

Stop being a dope. How is Bruno a Philly talk jock? Yeah, he's from here but hasn't worked(or lived) locally in over 30 years.

He's still a homer and it reflects very badly on fans from Philly, don't you think?

Here's the example you asked for:

Rollins stole second with a six run lead. Now, why Bochy is this "coward" but Manuel isn't a punk for sending Rollins is amazing bullshit. Victorino got plunked in retaliation for that in-your-face play. The Phillies started it, the Giants finished it.

At this point, best record or not, I hope the Phils get stomped in the playoffs.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Benches clearing brawl after Victorino gets drilled by Ramirez in last night's 9-2 loss to the Phillies.

Apparently, the Phils have resorted to trash talking as opposed to winning WS rings. That's fine. Fire up the Giants, boys...go ahead. Get it while it's cheap.

Trash talking? Cholly saying, rightly, that Lincecum and Cain are "very,very,very,good" not great pitchers is trash talk? Please. Ramirez and Whiteside showed what a bunch of punks they are last night. They embarrassed the Giants organization.

Speak to your guys' manager. He was running off at the mouth about Lincecum and Cain after the Giants beat the Phils last week. That's fine. Get it while it's cheap.

Punks? And what was Placido Polanco doing charging Whiteside? The Phillies are all mouth and I guess that's all they got when it comes to trying to win championships. If they can't do it on the playing field they try to do it through insult and trash talking.

Oh please. You really are comical. The Phillies have the best record in baseball and are a lock to make the playoffs of the 5th year in a row. The Giants got lucky last year when they won their first championship in over 50 years and now their fans act like they are a dynasty. Wake up. Your team has lost 8 of its last 9 games and is a half game in front of the Diamondbacks. Find me examples where any of the Phillies players have been accused of trash talking or insults. The only person that has said anything was the manager. Go back and read what Manuel said about Cain and Lincecum. He said they were not great pitchers, just good. He later clarified his comments to say that they were,"very, very, very good" pitchers. You call that trash talking?? Well guess what? Bochy agreed with him!!

Interestingly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Manuel's original point had some validity.

"I guess what Charlie's point is, is longevity," Bochy said. "He's right. When you call somebody great, they've done it over quite a few years."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/04/SPVU1KJHJA.DTL#ixzz1ULza52o9

Lucky? You have just got to be kidding me.

The Giants won the NLDS, NLCS and the WS all on the road. The pitching was sterling. The hitters stepped up and when one wasn't the other was. Flawless defense....and you call this luck? It was textbook championship baseball.

Go back and watch the highlights...I'm thinking you need a refresher course on how to win championships.

And who ever said anything about any dynasty...? The Phillies couldn't get it done. Period. Now, they have resorted to mind games and dissing pitchers and players...even The City itself. The fans from that town are notorious for bad-mouthing and trash talking. Inferioity complex was the comeback, I believe.

What's next? Everybody's Gay? Pssh. Play the game, then we see what you got. Fair?

Get it while it's cheap.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I don't think getting to Sabathia a couple of times means anything going forward. If anything it increases the chance that Sabathia will shut them down at some point this season and if that happens in October the Red Sox will be in deep trouble.

Let me reply that if CC winds up with 22 or 23 wins but loses to the Rex Sox again making him 0-5 or 0-6 against them for the year, then I think he should not even be considered for the Cy Young. If one team has your number, then you're simply not that great IMO.

He's still a homer and it reflects very badly on fans from Philly, don't you think?

Rollins stole second with a six run lead. Now, why Bochy is this "coward" but Manuel isn't a punk for sending Rollins is amazing bullshit. Victorino got plunked in retaliation for that in-your-face play. The Phillies started it, the Giants finished it.

At this point, best record or not, I hope the Phils get stomped in the playoffs.

No I don't think it reflects badly on the Philly fans. It reflects badly on Bruno. Period.

RE: Rollins steal. Stealing w/ a 6 run lead in the 6th inning does not constitute bullshit. It's smart baseball. I mean are you saying that a 6 run lead with 4 more at bats coming is an insurmountable lead? Really?

RE: Rollins steal. Stealing w/ a 6 run lead in the 6th inning does not constitute bullshit. It's smart baseball. I mean are you saying that a 6 run lead with 4 more at bats coming is an insurmountable lead? Really?

Don't you know? You're supposed to stop hitting home runs too! It's part of "the code" man!

Goodie is being utterly ridiculous.

You want them to just play the game? Then take your whipping like a man and don't go plunking batters, then stepping forward as if to say "wtf are you going to do about it?"

Then again, for a AAAA offense like the Giants, maybe a six run deficit with four frames to go is insurmountable, and the "mercy rule" applies. After all that's what, nearly three games worth of offense for them?

As for that championship let's not forget that if not for an historically disastrous collapse by San Diego, the Giants don't even sniff the playoffs, and Goodie is still wondering whether the Giants will manage to win in his lifetime.

Edited by Dan Gould

The Giants won the NLDS, NLCS and the WS all on the road. The pitching was sterling. The hitters stepped up and when one wasn't the other was. Flawless defense....and you call this luck? It was textbook championship baseball.

Go back and watch the highlights...I'm thinking you need a refresher course on how to win championships.

And who ever said anything about any dynasty...? The Phillies couldn't get it done. Period. Now, they have resorted to mind games and dissing pitchers and players...even The City itself. The fans from that town are notorious for bad-mouthing and trash talking. Inferioity complex was the comeback, I believe.

What's next? Everybody's Gay? Pssh. Play the game, then we see what you got. Fair?

Get it while it's cheap.

Talk about an inferiority complex. Your team and fans get bent out of shape because the manager on another team dared to, correctly imo, say that their two best starters are good not great pitchers. Then you think that stealing w/ a 6 run lead somehow justifies your pitcher for throwing at the other team's batter? And now you play the gay card. Nice. Again I ask you - where have the Phillies said anything bad about the Giants or now that you've cast a wider net - San Francisco??

Like you say - play the game. So far this series your team hasn't. If anybody needs a refresher course on how to win championships it would appear to be the Giants. Their season is on the verge of spiraling out of control. Today's game is almost a must win for them.

From MLB.com, Phillies Jimmy Rollins's take on his stealing 2nd in Friday night's game in SF:

Rollins offered his take Saturday.

"Two things," he said. "Either Charlie [Manuel] stops me, or they don't hold me on. When you're holding the guy on, you're still playing the game. You're not conceding. If you concede the running part of the game, then I'll concede the running part of the game. If you're holding me on, you're saying, 'We're still playing the game the way it's supposed to be played.'

"You've got 12 outs [remaining]. In the seventh inning, obviously I'm not going to run. But in the sixth inning? When we don't want guys to run our bench coach [Pete Mackanin] tells Ryan [Howard] to back up, play behind him or whatever. OK, the running game is off. The running game usually stops after the sixth. or if it's just way out of hand early. Like if it's 7-0 in the second or third inning, you don't run. I understand the gentleman's code, but if you've got 12 outs to work with? I've got the green light. It's on until they take it off or you take it off."

The Phillies don't believe Rollins' stolen base had anything to do with the plunking. They believe Ramirez got upset because the Phillies were hitting him and wanted to send a message.

No I don't think it reflects badly on the Philly fans. It reflects badly on Bruno. Period.

Against a team that is clearly in a slump at the plate? A team which is last in almost every offensive category on the planet? After Charlie Manuel dissed the Giants' top pitchers, the team and the entire city of San Francisco? Please. It was an in-your-face play pure and simple. Manuel is a punk's punk.

Victorino paid for it.

Get it while it's cheap.

Talk about an inferiority complex. Your team and fans get bent out of shape because the manager on another team dared to, correctly imo, say that their two best starters are good not great pitchers. Then you think that stealing w/ a 6 run lead somehow justifies your pitcher for throwing at the other team's batter? And now you play the gay card. Nice. Again I ask you - where have the Phillies said anything bad about the Giants or now that you've cast a wider net - San Francisco??

Like you say - play the game. So far this series your team hasn't. If anybody needs a refresher course on how to win championships it would appear to be the Giants. Their season is on the verge of spiraling out of control. Today's game is almost a must win for them.

Play the Gay card....WTF? That was in reference to Bruno's racism and put downs.

I'm saying that after the manager ran off at the mouth and put our guys down, the steal sign was a direct insult and disrespecting of the Giants and their pitching staff....especially with a six run lead late in the game. Please tell me Manuel is just this loveable sweetheart who wouldn't try to get inside a rival team's head.

He's a punk.

I'm still looking for Manuel's diss. of the Giants other than the pitching comment discussed above which doesn't seem to be a dis.

He was saying the Giants pitchers are good not great in order to suggest they aren't as good as the Philly pitchers. Ergo, it should be no big thing to beat the Giants. If he wanted to fire up his guys, then don't do it the newspapers.

I have no idea how else you could take that.

Edited by GoodSpeak

From MLB.com, Phillies Jimmy Rollins's take on his stealing 2nd in Friday night's game in SF:

Rollins offered his take Saturday.

"Two things," he said. "Either Charlie [Manuel] stops me, or they don't hold me on. When you're holding the guy on, you're still playing the game. You're not conceding. If you concede the running part of the game, then I'll concede the running part of the game. If you're holding me on, you're saying, 'We're still playing the game the way it's supposed to be played.'

"You've got 12 outs [remaining]. In the seventh inning, obviously I'm not going to run. But in the sixth inning? When we don't want guys to run our bench coach [Pete Mackanin] tells Ryan [Howard] to back up, play behind him or whatever. OK, the running game is off. The running game usually stops after the sixth. or if it's just way out of hand early. Like if it's 7-0 in the second or third inning, you don't run. I understand the gentleman's code, but if you've got 12 outs to work with? I've got the green light. It's on until they take it off or you take it off."

The Phillies don't believe Rollins' stolen base had anything to do with the plunking. They believe Ramirez got upset because the Phillies were hitting him and wanted to send a message.

C'mon, what else are the Phillies going to say....we were dissing the Giants pitchers?

Against a team that is clearly in a slump at the plate? A team which is last in almost every offensive category on the planet?

Translation from Goodie-speak:

Our offense sucks, and everyone knows it! How dare you rub it in when you're beating us so bad!! Take pity on us for Christ sake or we're totally justified in throwing at your batters!!!

WAAAAAHHHHH!

Goodie is being utterly ridiculous.

You want them to just play the game? Then take your whipping like a man and don't go plunking batters, then stepping forward as if to say "wtf are you going to do about it?"

Then again, for a AAAA offense like the Giants, maybe a six run deficit with four frames to go is insurmountable, and the "mercy rule" applies. After all that's what, nearly three games worth of offense for them?

As for that championship let's not forget that if not for an historically disastrous collapse by San Diego, the Giants don't even sniff the playoffs, and Goodie is still wondering whether the Giants will manage to win in his lifetime.

Oh I get it...the Giants got into the playoffs because San Diego didn't? How do you explain the WS Championship, then? What about the possible WC?

The Giants beat the Padres to get into the post season. May I remind you that the Padres just owned the Giants that year? The Giants won when they needed to and if there is any truth to tell, they were in third or fourth place as late as July. The Giants mounted a comeback and won the games they needed to win. That is how the game is played, you know that.

Kind of sounds like your Red Sox when they won the WS for the first time in decades.

Against a team that is clearly in a slump at the plate? A team which is last in almost every offensive category on the planet?

Translation from Goodie-speak:

Our offense sucks, and everyone knows it! How dare you rub it in when you're beating us so bad!! Take pity on us for Christ sake or we're totally justified in throwing at your batters!!!

WAAAAAHHHHH!

This from the crybaby who gave up on his Red Sox 14 games into the season. Where are they now, Dan...hmmm?

I think what the problem here is you Easterners can't deal with some uppity West Coast team winning it all...so you resort to put downs. Real classy, Dan.

Edited by GoodSpeak

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110807&content_id=22915306&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex&partnerId=ed-5129670-216007610

Kudos to Michael Young on the occasion this evening of reaching career hit 2000. I'm told that his is the third fastest pace ever for a RH hitter to hit this milestone, and the 11th fastest of anybody..

Much love, and more respect than ever, especially for putting the friction of the off-season behind him and going on to answer whatever call has come to him (and they have been many and diverse). Great player, class act.

Michael Young, y'all, Michael Young.