2011 MLB Season

The kid who was drafted after Strasburg got in his first game for the M's. Dustin Ackley now at 2nd and if things work out he'll likely bat 2nd as well. It's too bad Jamie Moyer isn't healthy to pitch vs. his old team (not that he could crack the current rotation.)

Ackley turned an amazing DP last night.

Ackley just smacked a home run in his first AB tonight.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for today's win against the Cubs, nice play by Gritty Gutty Brett Gardner. The Yankee pitching staff should thank the baseball gods that we've got him in left field and Granderson in center.

Wow, nice play all around. Gardner isn't known for his arm, but that throw was money. Having his momentum going towards the infield helped him along, but you still have to be on target. Nice, gutsy, stand-up-and-take-it play from Russell Martin too. He's a tough nut.

Yes, I should have given Martin credit for holding on at the plate as well. And I've always got a soft spot for good-throw-nails-the-runner highlights... this one from last year still one of the best I've seen in recent years:

walkoff throw at the Trop

Would love to see others from fellow baseball fans here.

And I've always got a soft spot for good-throw-nails-the-runner highlights... this one from last year still one of the best I've seen in recent years:

Would love to see others from fellow baseball fans here.

David,

Don't forget to give A-Rod credit for taking the throw on the short hop and then applying the tag. The guy at the other end of a great catch and throw often gets overlooked.

Here's one of my favorites. We're talking about nailing a guy going from first to third by at least three feet with a tape to tape throw out of moderately deep right field. If you find yourself at a loss for words, try "wow".

Edited by Dave James

I saw a Cubs game on WGN in 1990(?) where Andre Dawson threw a man out at home - on the fly - from the right field wall of Wrigley. Cat threw a strike to the catcher (was it Girardi then?) that landed right where the tag needed to be. No hops, no nothing. Just catch the ball and the runner ends up tagging himself out. Might well be the best play of its type I've ever seen. Sure is the best one I can remember!

Andre Dawson was a baaaad man.

I saw a Cubs game on WGN in 1990(?) where Andre Dawson threw a man out at home - on the fly - from the right field wall of Wrigley. Cat threw a strike to the catcher (was it Girardi then?) that landed right where the tag needed to be. No hops, no nothing. Just catch the ball and the runner ends up tagging himself out. Might well be the best play of its type I've ever seen. Sure is the best one I can remember!

Andre Dawson was a baaaad man.

Dawson was a four tool guy. He could hit, hit with power, throw and run. He had it all.

Great mustache too, made him a five tool guy for those games after the games...

But seiously, I don't know what kinf of Cubs video archives WGN has,but there should be enough Dawson highlights to make a souvenir videocassette tape. I'd sure buy it!

I mean, Dave, DUDE, this cat threw from the wall straight to to the plate in a single arc and nailed the runner before he really knew he was there. There footage of Clemente doing something like that somewhere too,

But seiously, I don't know what kinf of Cubs video archives WGN has,but there should be enough Dawson highlights to make a souvenir videocassette tape. I'd sure buy it!

I mean, Dave, DUDE, this cat threw from the wall straight to to the plate in a single arc and nailed the runner before he really knew he was there. There footage of Clemente doing something like that somewhere too,

Great arm. Great talent. I forgot, though, he was actually a five tool guy. He also had a temper.

Dammit...game called, Mitch Moreland's slam no longer exists. It would likely have been a much-needed two wins in a row before 20 Games In 20 Days finishes, and would definitely have been a huge boost going into the weekend series against the Angels.

In the meantime, the hardcore fans are really, truly pissed: http://www.lonestarb...-plane-to-catch

There's one comment there that I want to set straight: Joe West, has been, is now, and always will be, the worst umpire in baseball!

Great arm. Great talent. I forgot, though, he was actually a five tool guy. He also had a temper.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oAKkHxkkCyA

Did you see Eric Gregg trying to "settle things down" at the dugout? Way to go Eric. One thing: Joe West was terrible then, he's terrible now, and forever and ever and ever and ever, will always be a terrible umpire.

Edited by Matthew

I would love to see footage of that Andre Dawson throw...find it Jim! ;) It's the least you can do for beating up on the hapless braves, with guys that should be braves still! :angry:

Best I have seen...well, there was a white dude with the Astros in the 80's...Not Glenn Davis, he was a 1st baseman...have to look him up, you know, that dude...Ah, had the first name right, Glenn Wilson, remember him???

Dave Parker(I think there was an even better throw than the one above that was used for years for This Week In Baseball, a throw from the warning track to home...but then again, it may have been that A.S. one...

But I think Rick Ankiel has to be the best, at least that I have seen in recent years....(who are we forgetting who had amazing arms? Dave Winfield???)

A merely very good throw

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=5258191

Those famous two throws in one game via the rockies in '08...

(sorry, there is an ad each time)

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=2655396

It's the least you can do for beating up on the hapless braves, with guys that should be braves still! :angry:

You know I really feel bad about that, so can I offer you Dammit Darren Oliver as a token of atonement? Just c'mon over and get his stuff, move it on over to y'all's clubhouse, no strings attached.

Please, I insist!

...(who are we forgetting who had amazing arms? Dave Winfield???)

Jesse Barfield of the Blue Jays is usually considered the best post-Clemente arm. There were some stories of Cesar Geronimo of the Big Red Machine throwing no hoppers from deep in CF to the plate, though I don't think footage exists.

Marlins lose again last night. That's 8 in a row, 1-16 for June and they have lost 18 of their last 20 games. New manager by Monday?

Or maybe a very very very old one. Buster Olney reports that Jack McKeon is being considered as interim manager. I guess Connie Mack isn't available so it might as well be Jack.

As for today's win against the Cubs, nice play by Gritty Gutty Brett Gardner. The Yankee pitching staff should thank the baseball gods that we've got him in left field and Granderson in center.

Wow, nice play all around. Gardner isn't known for his arm, but that throw was money. Having his momentum going towards the infield helped him along, but you still have to be on target. Nice, gutsy, stand-up-and-take-it play from Russell Martin too. He's a tough nut.

Gardner has a better arm than most people - including opposing team's baserunners - realize. He had 12 assists last year.

Don't forget Dave Parker!

That one didn't work for me, some plugin thingy I don't have. Here's the YouTube version though:

Thanks for that. Silverlight is a pain in the ass, at least with Google Chrome. As for Parker's throw it's actually just a tad too high. :g

Nice to hear Vince, see Lou Brock and Graig Nettles (hell everybody), even the outside of the ugly old Kingdome.

Anyone remember Rocky Colavito? He played for Cleveland, Detroit and late in his career. for New York. He had one of the very best arms ever. He even pitched a little for the Yankees. Also, how many ballplayers in the history of the game have had a curse named after them? There's Babe Ruth, of course, and Rocky Colavito.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Rocky_Colavito

Definitely remember Rocky Colavito!

Not the Rangers' day today, good pitching by Jair Jurrjins & Co. A fine diving clutch catch in left by Nate McLouth killed a potential rally daid, and so it goes. We make it through the toughest part of our schedule (on paper, anyway, 17-20 games on the road, all against already good or getting hot teams) 10-10 with no fatal injuries. Would like for it to be better, but could have easily been worse. Lots of disposable parts on this team right now if a do-able deal that should be done comes to the do-ing, and one hopes taht bullpen stabilization is on the way (but then again, for how many teams is that not the case?)

Onward...

A special Dammit Darren Oliver award today to the usually stable Yorvit Torrealba. Vit called a horrible game, made Ogando work harder than he had to, and was directly responsible for two of the Braves' runs - two of the three allowed by Ogando were unearned, both the result of separate errors in the same inning by YT, including one on a mind bogging F-ed Up infield popup with two outs that saw Mr. Vit apparently go deaf, numb, and all but blind as he failed to hear, feel, or hear a thundering and screaming (make that SCREAMING) Michael Young calling him off the ball for waht seemed like, uh, ten or fifteen minutes. Wash left him in long enough to drive in a fun the following inning and then sent his ass to the showers right away, replacing him with the Eddie Brinkman of catchers, Taylor Teagarden. Ogando immediately regained his form, but the damage had been done. He came out after just five with 104 pitches. Ovreall, though, he looked just fine. But today, he definitely was failed by his usually reliable battery-mate.

The preliminary reason given for Torrealba's early exit was general fatigue, but me, I'd not turn down a reasonable bet that he was hungover. That's a lot more plausible explanation for his performance!

EDIT to add that accrding to reports, both Ogando & Torrealba received IVs to replenish fluids (as opposed to injecting microchips, right?). so maybe YT wasn't drunk after all. But he sure played like it!

Edited by JSngry

Marlins lose again last night. That's 8 in a row, 1-16 for June and they have lost 18 of their last 20 games. New manager by Monday?

Make that 9 in a row, 1 for 17 in June, and lost 19 out of 21.

Ouch.

10 in a row, 1 for 18 in June, and lost 20 out of 22.

No surprise there, if you saw the clip when it happened (WTBS had the replay during the Sox broadcast yesterday). Seemed virtually certain that it was much worse than a "sprain", now we'll see if the Card can hang without their biggest bat.

Pujols is probably just glad he doesn't have to play 3B for the time being.

Speaking of injuries, before anyone starts to annoint the Sox as on their way to October, have you noticed that in the last five days or so, they've lost two starters - Crawford and Lowrie - and their third best starting pitcher, Buchholz. Crawford has a bad hamstring, the kind of injury that can take much longer to heal. Lowrie has had a bum shoulder and finally took a bad swing last week, and Buchholz has had a lingering back problem and no one really knows if an enforced rest will get rid of it or not.

On the other hand, we get to see Andrew Miller, who sounds like he could be Randy Johnson before he figured it all out, get a few starts.

Pujols is probably just glad he doesn't have to play 3B for the time being.

No kidding. I get that they needed to squeeze in Berkman's bat while giving him some rest from the OF, but isn't it fascinating that given Albert's contract status how much easier it was to stick him over there. His long streak of .300/30/100 (or whatever it is) is probably done for.

Miller is interesting. If he does figure it out look freakin' out. If he doesn't, he'll be "wildly" interesting.