Movies you wish they'd make

I thought it might be fun to talk about movies we'd like to see.

I'd love to see a movie of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

3_Stigmata_Dune_Artwork.jpg

I'd love to see a Jackie Q movie!

JackieQ_Main-Profile_17.jpg

And I'd love to see a new, very Chandleresque Philip Marlowe movie made, perhaps "Farewell my Lovely" or "The Big Sleep". . . . (I haven't seen one yet that really seemed right to me.)

chandler6_farewell_my_lovely.jpg

TheBigSleep.jpg

And I'd love to see a new, very Chandleresque Philip Marlowe movie made, perhaps "Farewell my Lovely" or "The Big Sleep". . . . (I haven't seen one yet that really seemed right to me.)

TheBigSleep.jpg

I haven't seen one that seemed right to me, either, but at this late date we've lost all those 1930s-50s Californian locations which seem such a part of Chandler.

Palmer Eldritch is a tremendous book, but how could you shoot it convincingly? You can't film on the moon and the creation of a convincing-looking future would cost enormously. It would be bound to rely heavily on computer generated images and they don't appeal to me. :unsure:

I thought it might be fun to talk about movies we'd like to see.

I'd love to see a movie of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

3_Stigmata_Dune_Artwork.jpg

I'd love to see a Jackie Q movie!

JackieQ_Main-Profile_17.jpg

TheBigSleep.jpg

Lon,

You didn't like Robert Altman's movie of "The Long Goodbye" with Elliot Gould? It would seem to fit your bill.

I haven't seen one that seemed right to me, either, but at this late date we've lost all those 1930s-50s Californian locations which seem such a part of Chandler.

Palmer Eldritch is a tremendous book, but how could you shoot it convincingly? You can't film on the moon and the creation of a convincing-looking future would cost enormously. It would be bound to rely heavily on computer generated images and they don't appeal to me. :unsure:

Well, I think they could find the locales or build sets. I think it could be done, and I'd love to see one.

I know the PKD book presents many challenges. I'm probably more tolerant of CGI than you are, and I think they could do a convincing job now if they had the budget and a staff with real determination and imagination.

Lon,

You didn't like Robert Altman's movie of "The Long Goodbye" with Elliot Gould? It would seem to fit your bill.

It was okay, I've seen it a few times, it didn't really convince me, it didn't really fill the bill for me.

I enjoyed The Long Goodbye as a movie, but not as an adaptation of a Chandler work.

I enjoyed very much both Robert Mitchum Chandler movies. I also enjoyed the few HBO Chandlers that I saw (can't remember the star's name), and would like to see the rest. Maybe they're on DVD.

PS - A search at Amazon shows me that it was Powers Booth, and that all eleven episodes are available on DVD. On to my wish list!

Edited by GA Russell

A movie based on the Remedios Varo painting "PHENOMENON OF WEIGHTLESSNESS"...

remediosvaroFenomenodeIngravidez.jpg

...and I'd like it done in an animation style similar to that of the original BBC Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

And though it's kind past its date, I'd still be interested in seeing a movie made of William Gibson's "Neuromancer"

0441000681.jpg

You're not happy with Hawks's "The Big Sleep"? I also like "The Long Goodbye" even though most Chandler fans didn't and Altman said really stupid things about it.

I do like the Big Sleep with Bogart and Bacall. Since Lon said new, I did not mention it.

A side issue - isn't the plot of the Big Sleep both in the original book and film, famously muddled? Didn't Chandler himself admit it did not quite add up? Or am I thinking of another title and by the way, I adore Chandler.

Chandler had problems with plotting. Always. But. . .it's not about the plot for me with Chandler. It's about the words. When he was on, he was among the very best.

Personally, I've not really felt any of the movies, ANY of the movies, really captured the tone and feel that happens in my brain and heart in a Chandler movie.

[

A side issue - isn't the plot of the Big Sleep both in the original book and film, famously muddled? Didn't Chandler himself admit it did not quite add up? Or am I thinking of another title and by the way, I adore Chandler.

The Big Sleep is based on two short stories and they don't entirely blend together.

I heard the author's mother on a speaking tour she gave when Dunces won the Pulitzer, and you could picture this frail little old lady calling out to Santa Battaglia and hiding her Muscatel in the oven!

John Candy was being talked about for the role of Ignatius in some production that never happened. THAT would have been something!

Edited by Neal Pomea