Jimmy Cobb

Free For All

Jimmy Cobb came to FSU last week. In addition to presenting a clinic he played with a student combo as well as the faculty group. The man is amazing- at the age of 82 he's still swinging his ass off. The way he plays the ride cymbal is like no one else. It was fascinating to hear him talk about some of the sessions he played on- the Blackhawk, Someday My Prince Will Come, Full House, Smokin' at the Half Note, Cannonball & Coltrane and of course KOB, among others. When he rehearsed with the students he didn't read any music but would just listen to the tune a couple times and find his groove. The student group was playing the Joe Hen tune Shade of Jade (which he was unfamiliar with, not an easy tune)and after a couple listens he found the perfect thing to play. A real pro, and a real gentleman.

The man's discography is ridiculous. His longevity in jazz is not unlike Roy Haynes'.

What an honor to have had the opportunity to meet and play with him!

EDIT: Also, it was great to thank him for one of my favorite moments in jazz- on the Miles '58 sessions, on Stella, where he & PC go into that amazing medium walking groove on the second chorus for Trane's solo. Sublime. :wub:

Edited by Free For All

I saw him play in the summer of 2009 - had a very short chat with him and he was most delightful and played great for two hour-long sets (in the quartet of Swiss tenor sax player Roman Schwaller, with whom Cobb has recorded as well).

Great experience, Paul!

Best birthday present you got, I assume!? :party:

Saw him in London last summer in a Kind of Blue reconstruction in -- of all places -- the grounds of the Tower of London. Great stuff. His modesty was evident at the end of the set when he said "Thanks for coming. You could have been sitting at home watching television or something" -- and meant it (it was rather cold).

Cobb is in south Florida this weekend for a Coltrane tribute group-thing with Javon Jackson, Peter Washington and Mulgrew Miller. I kinda wish I could go, for Cobb and for 'Grew.

I'd go to that.

Yeah but $40 each for me and the wife is kinda steep, especially when there are three different seat sections but no difference in pricing. I'm sure I'l regret not going later.

Cobb is in south Florida this weekend for a Coltrane tribute group-thing with Javon Jackson, Peter Washington and Mulgrew Miller. I kinda wish I could go, for Cobb and for 'Grew.

That same group will be performing at UMASS on 3/26. Unless I have a conflict with the middle school play that my daughter is in the stage crew for, I plan to be there. In September Cobb performed in Hartford with a group that included Jackson, Richard Wyands and Nat Reeves. For $15 dollars it was a very enjoyable 100 minutes of music.