Love those old price stickers.

Dmitry

I forget, who would usually put the bullet hole in the jacket, the record company, the distributor, or the retail store?

It would have been the record company who drilled it, before selling it to a cut-out (deletions) distributor.

This would be done when the title was going oop, and the rec.co. drilled to indicate that no returns would be taken?

BTW, the cd version of this album lists you as one of the Thank You people.

So I assume that all this babble about cut-outs or drill hole items being of INFERIOR vinyl PRESSING quality is just hocus pocus, right?

It's just that these records happened to come along at the end of the marketing line when they were being phased out?

Maybe the fanatics are afraid that the cut-outs most likely are from the end of the pressing run when the stampers were more worn. Seems like a long shot, though.

It's probably true for the multi-thousand selling albums, but for a somewhat obscure title like this one, I would be surprised if they did more than a couple of runs. The truth probably hides in the dead wax numbers, but I don't know what they mean.

As long as we're on the topic,here're the photos of the British EMI issue of the Indo-Jazz Suite. Did it come out before the US version? My knowledge of the British labels and catalog numbers is nil.

KGrHqFg8E1fMgqV5zBNZ1zRFdg_12.jpg

KGrHqJiIE1MOpZsOBNZ14NSrw_12.jpg

KGrHqRkwE1LC7oFIqBNZ16trhg_12.jpg

It's probably true for the multi-thousand selling albums, but for a somewhat obscure title like this one, I would be surprised if they did more than a couple of runs. The truth probably hides in the dead wax numbers, but I don't know what they mean.

As long as we're on the topic,here're the photos of the British EMI issue of the Indo-Jazz Suite. Did it come out before the US version? My knowledge of the British labels and catalog numbers is nil.

KGrHqFg8E1fMgqV5zBNZ1zRFdg_12.jpg

KGrHqJiIE1MOpZsOBNZ14NSrw_12.jpg

KGrHqRkwE1LC7oFIqBNZ16trhg_12.jpg

I have got a (mono) copy of that UK issue LP on the Columbia Lansdowne Series. The UK issue is the original, pretty sure it came out before that Atlantic (I suspect that Dennis Preston of Lansdowne Studios/Record Supervisoin Co. will have set that arrangement up for US issue on Atlantic).

Incidentally, UK Columbia was an imprint of EMI and nothing to do with US Columbia/CBS.

Several of those UK Columbias came out in the States. There's a rare David Mack 'New Directions' LP with Shake Keane but I don't think it came out on Atlantic per se. Maybe one of their subsidiaries?

Edited by sidewinder

I forget, who would usually put the bullet hole in the jacket, the record company, the distributor, or the retail store?

It would have been the record company who drilled it, before selling it to a cut-out (deletions) distributor.

This would be done when the title was going oop, and the rec.co. drilled to indicate that no returns would be taken?

BTW, the cd version of this album lists you as one of the Thank You people.

Yes, the drilling is to prevent returns.

The CD is on Koch? I helped them with a couple of titles, and they thanked everybody who helped them on the whole series!

Several of those UK Columbias came out in the States. There's a rare David Mack 'New Directions' LP with Shake Keane but I don't think it came out on Atlantic per se. Maybe one of their subsidiaries?

Wow...

srs-12009.jpg

Serenus was the label, apparently an independent label: http://www.justabuzz.com/serenus.shtml

Yes, Serenus - that is the one.

The UK sleeve design is completely different from the UK version. It is a foray into third-stream/serialism and critic Max Harrison wrote an interesting essay on it. Not altogether successful but certainly unique.

Edited by sidewinder