Billie Holiday

mrjazzman

My two cents: I have the complete Columbia and the Verve master takes, so I cannot answer the question precisely. I enjoy them both greatly, though on balance, I would go with the Columbia set. The last disc or two of the Verve set have some great moments, but sound more uneven to me. I think the songs on the Verve set are more drawn from the great American songbook, which is a strength of that collection if you like those songs (I do). I don't think you'll be disappointed either way if you like Billie Holiday.

I would pick the Teddy Wilson CDs with Billie on the Scottish Hep label first because of their excellent sound quality; they were mastered by the late John R.T. Davies. They cover the same era as the Columbia box, which comes in second place for me, though I don't like its sound very much; to my ears it's too harsh in places. The Verve box covers a very different era, of course, and comparing the two is comparing apples and oranges in my view.

I'd pick the Verve. The Columbias are very happy music, and I'm glad to have them, but the Verves have an aura. Definitely not happy music, more "3 AM in your soul" kind of music.

It is hard to compare the two sets - it's almost like they were made by two different people.

For my part, the Columbias without a doubt. Nothing wrong with the Verve material, but I do prefer earlier Billie to later. Like JohnL states above, I just could not live without these recordings. They're among my absolute favorites in all of jazz. I listen to them on a monthly basis. Pres, Teddy, Benny ... imo, along with Goodman's RCA small groups, the Ellington Units and Lester Young's combos they are the apex of small group swing.

Just get both. You can't go wrong. Both labels have an all star cast. The Verves have the advantage of better sound but a more shot out Billie. No matter - she still delivers the goods. The Columbias have a younger fresher Bilie, an all star cast, but the disadvantage of 30s and early 40s audio. No matter - she still delivers the goods. And don't forget the Commodores. Which are really my favorites.

I suspect you'd get a lifetime of pleasure from both; and once you have one, you'll want the other.

I'd go for the Columbia - the voice is agile, the mood more upbeat. It can also be bought very inexpensively. I got a set for arounf £13 off Amazon just before Xmas.

The Verve set is also marvellous though the voice is more constrained. Great instrumentalists though playing what was becoming 'mainstream' rather than the more peppy small-band swing of the Columbia. Don't know if it still sells in a silly biscuit tin with a cardboard concertina that holds the discs.

Either way you'll get lots of joy.

I'd pick the Verve. The Columbias are very happy music, and I'm glad to have them, but the Verves have an aura. Definitely not happy music, more "3 AM in your soul" kind of music.

It is hard to compare the two sets - it's almost like they were made by two different people.

I agree that the Verves are not happy music, but disagree that the Columbia material can be labeled as such. The Columbia sides contain some of her most devastatingly sad performances, for example "Mandy is Two" "Until the Real Thing Comes Along," or "Without Your Love"...

The Columbias do have a much larger emotional range than do the Verves, which is one reason why I love them so much.

Another vote for getting both plus others. Music for a lifetime of listening.

Yes indeed. In the meantime the poster could chose based on whether he's currently more in the mood to hear Lester Young (Columbia) or Ben Webster (Verve.) Which again suggests that this isn't an either/or but both. ;)

As far as complete sets are concerned, if you had to pick one, would it be the Verve or the Columbia set????????

I just want to remind everyone what the original poster requested: "if you had to pick one." It seems an easy out to say, "well, get both!" C'mon, get some guts and choose!

• 1 year later...

Columbia vs. Verve is day vs. night, and nobody has pointed out the flaw in the original question: why would anybody ask this question if they were familiar with a representative sample of both, and if not, shouldn't they get a sample set from each period before plunging into a complete set? Personally, I think she was at her best between those labels. Her voice and interpretations are more mature without the rough spots of the '50s. The Commodore sides are great, and a subset of the Deccas, but her live performances from the '40s and early '50s are sublime. I'm fondest of the performances with the sparest accompaniment.

Let us all thank the web designer for the wonderfully eye-friendly white type on magenta background.

Columbia vs. Verve is day vs. night, and nobody has pointed out the flaw in the original question: why would anybody ask this question if they were familiar with a representative sample of both, and if not, shouldn't they get a sample set from each period before plunging into a complete set? Personally, I think she was at her best between those labels. Her voice and interpretations are more mature without the rough spots of the '50s. The Commodore sides are great, and a subset of the Deccas, but her live performances from the '40s and early '50s are sublime. I'm fondest of the performances with the sparest accompaniment.

Let us all thank the web designer for the wonderfully eye-friendly white type on magenta background.

obviously no one was looking for one except you. maybe you should re read the question

Original question.

As far as complete sets are concerned, if you had to pick one, would it be the Verve or the Columbia set????????

My assumption was that you were looking for advice. If you were just polling preferences I stand corrected.

Edited by Pete C