Margie Anderson

JSngry

Margie Anderson is a Boston-based singer who still lives in Boston, although she is no longer active as a singer. She has been a close friend of mine for many years. The CD is her own reissue of a session recorded in the late 1950's. The material was issued on a variety of budget labels, although the pictured LP is the original release. I gave up years ago trying to sort out who's backing her on this session, although she does remember that the band was led by pianist Bob Freedman. Margie also recorded for Columbia in the early 1950's. There is some information about her (and from her) in the book about Gigi Gryce by Noal Cohen and Mike Fitzgerald. She had known Gigi in his Boston days (early 1950's) and I put Cohen in touch with her.

Margie Anderson is a Boston-based singer who still lives in Boston, although she is no longer active as a singer. She has been a close friend of mine for many years. The CD is her own reissue of a session recorded in the late 1950's. The material was issued on a variety of budget labels, although the pictured LP is the original release. I gave up years ago trying to sort out who's backing her on this session, although she does remember that the band was led by pianist Bob Freedman.

Is there any chance that that/this might be Charlie Mariano on alto?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4UpbjiUyI

That song is just a trip in general...

Margie Anderson is a Boston-based singer who still lives in Boston, although she is no longer active as a singer. She has been a close friend of mine for many years. The CD is her own reissue of a session recorded in the late 1950's. The material was issued on a variety of budget labels, although the pictured LP is the original release. I gave up years ago trying to sort out who's backing her on this session, although she does remember that the band was led by pianist Bob Freedman.

Doubtful. Charlie was in Los Angeles playing with Shelly Manne at the time. It does sound like him, though! Oh, and by the way, the tracks on the Maxine Brown album are not by Margie. She once told me that she made an LP of 1920's songs as well as the "Blues" album, but I've never run across a copy. I do have two of the Columbia 78's.

Doubtful. Charlie was in Los Angeles playing with Shelly Manne at the time. It does sound like him, though! Oh, and by the way, the tracks on the Maxine Brown album are not by Margie. She once told me that she made an LP of 1920's songs as well as the "Blues" album, but I've never run across a copy. I do have two of the Columbia 78's.

Jimmy Mosher?

• 3 years later...