Do you still have your BN tapes?

Dmitry

%21B2DNkV%21CWk%7E$%28KGrHqYOKjwE%29pCm%28T7%21BMg9Qv,DT%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

Just saw this on eBay.

Did BN issue much of the music on tapes?

I never bought any, since I wasn't into jazz in the 1990s.

Yes, they did issues a lot of music on tape. When I first became interested in BN's (in Berkeley, CA, in the '80s), cassettes were the only thing I bought, and I thought they sounded great -- still do.

Back when I had a cassette player in my car, I would pick up cassettes when I found good ones in the one- or two-dollar bin. I had quite a few Blue Notes, including No Room for Squares and A Caddy for Daddy. A few years ago, I gave a bunch them to a friend who was driving an old hoopti that still had a cassette player.

But before that: back in the 1970's, my first car had an eight-track player. Every Woolworth's and K-Mart had bins of 8-tracks for a buck or two, and I picked up some great stuff, including a few Blue Notes: Elvin Jones' Coalition, The Best of Horace Silver, and Moto Grosso Feio by Wayne Shorter were three that I remember. The sound quality wasn't great, but I learned a lot from cheap 8-tracks.

I basically got into jazz through cassettes - Miles Davis In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew (yes, not on BN).

I think the first BNs I bought were Genius of Monk on 2 cassettes with a different ordering from the later CD reissues. I don't think I still have those.

I do have Mobley's Far Away Lands on cassette still and most of One Note with Blue Note (originally 4 cassettes). Probably a handful of others, but I don't have a working cassette deck at the moment, so they're just laying in a box in the closet.

I bought a lot when I was in grad school and I could find them for $3-$4. I didn't have a CD player because I didn't think I could afford the CDs back then.

A lot of them broke, although the Mobley still works. I always found the beep annoying.

Bertrand.

Other than a couple vinyl album when I was a young teenager, all of my initial excursion into jazz was on the cassette medium. Of the BNs, I had a Monk on Blue Note (can't remember which volume), I'm pretty sure I had Coltrane's Blue Train, huh, this is harder than I thought it was gonna be to remember. I had a whole lot of cassette at one point, and lemme tell ya, all those thick orange Impulse spines looked pretty cool on my shelf.

Damn, now I'm gonna be totally distracted all day trying to remember all the BN cassettes I used to own.

P.S. That Mobley "Far Away Lands" wasn't one of them. I definitely remember the first Mobley I purchased was on cd "Hi Voltage".

EDIT: Ah, the memories are beginning to flow. I had a Kenny Dorham "Una Mas", I may also have had "Quiet Kenny". I had several Turrentine on cassette, but the only BN, I think, was "The Spoiler" (but it might've been "Joyride"), also "The Other Side of Around Midnight". Man, I know there were a bunch more, but the cassettes and the memories are long long gone.

Edited by Chicago Expat

I never bought cassettes except blank ones. I'd always buy vinyl and record onto cassette and do the bulk of my listening to the tape. Then in college I was broke and had to sell my turntable and unfortunately most of my LPs. By the time I had a decent income, CD was king and that was what I bought.