Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz....

Harold_Z

We had a thread on this some years back. Either on this board or the old Blue Note Board. The RCA Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz was a budget series of 10" lps available in the late 50s. When I was about 10 or 11 years old I bought the whole set new for a whopping 49 Cents per lp. I still have them and they have been invaluable. The re-mastering is 50s RCA great and stands up well today. Lo and Behold...Amazon mp3 downloads has the whole shebang - listed as Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz for a whopping $13.98. It's a great deal for those so inclined.

Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz

Edited by Harold_Z

It was produced by Bill Grauer and Orrin Keepnews for one of the supermarkets (A&P?). We had tons of them in a closet at Riverside. I could have taken a set home (with permission), but I didn't. I had already bought them—big spender that I am. :)

Yeah Chris - I bought mine in a supermarket near my home. I can't remember which chain but I'm going to ask relatives if they remember.

We had a thread on this some years back. Either on this board or the old Blue Note Board. The RCA Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz was a budget series of 10" lps available in the late 50s. When I was about 10 or 11 years old I bought the whole set new for a whopping 49 Cents per lp. I still have them and they have been invaluable. The re-mastering is 50s RCA great and stands up well today. Lo and Behold...Amazon mp3 downloads has the whole shebang - listed as Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz for a whopping $13.98. It's a great deal for those so inclined.

Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz

We had this when I was growing up--my father bought it from a local supermarket, one volume at a time. I'm reminded that we also purchased at around the same time--also through a supermarket--a history of European "classical" music. These volumes were a pretty good introduction to 19th Century composers, with one or two forays into the 20th (Stravinsky, and I think Ravel) and a look backward at Bach, Handel, Mozart, and Haydn.

Self-improvement through self-cultivation. A middle class virtue of the 1950s.

I see these albums in the bins sometimes. It was a good series.

rcaJazz11.jpg

What does that mean?

The idea that if you expose yourself to as many different things as possible (music, art, literature, science, etc.) you'll be a better person for having done so. I'm not sure I would limit that to the middle class or to the 50's. It's still true.

rcaJazz11.jpg

What does that mean?

The idea that if you expose yourself to as many different things as possible (music, art, literature, science, etc.) you'll be a better person for having done so. I'm not sure I would limit that to the middle class or to the 50's. It's still true.

Isn't that premise of the Renaissance, still in effect from the 1300s to this day?

rcaJazz11.jpg

What does that mean?

Isn't that premise of the Renaissance, still in effect from the 1300s to this day?

I read something about the German newspaper magnate, August Scherl, circa 1900 he began publishing a series of books under the title 'Read Your Way Up' - with the idea that everyone is born a philistine and you have to advance slowly from cheap action-packed fiction to the literary classics, or else you cannot fully appreciate them... but I think the series never got further than the cheap stuff

FLETCHER HENDERSON AND HIS ORCHESTRA: Dick Vance (tp, vcl), Joe Thomas (tp), Roy Eldridge (tp, vcl), Fernando Arbello (tb), Ed Cuffee (tb, vcl), Buster Bailey (cl, as), Don Pasquall (as), Elmer Williams (ts), Chu Berry (ts, bari -1), Fletcher Henderson (p, arr), Horace Henderson (p on matrix 100887, arr), Bob Lessey (g), Israel Crosby (b), Walter Johnson (d), "Georgia Boy" Simpkins (vcl), L.J. Russell (arr).

Chicago, August 4, 1936

100882-1 Shoe Shine Boy (RE-vcl) (LJR-arr) Vic 25375

100883-1 Sing, Sing, Sing (GBS-vcl) (HH-arr) -

100885-2 Knock, Knock Who's There? -1

(RE, EC & band-vcl) (HH-arr) RCA LPM 10019 (LP)

100885-1 Knock, Knock Who's There? -1

(RE, EC & band-vcl) (HH-arr) Vic 25373

100886-1 Jim Town Blues (HH-arr) Vic 25379

100887-1 You Can Depend On Me (DV-vcl) (FH-arr) -