Stan Getz Little Pony with Count Basie?

Jazztropic

Hi, my local record store had an LP with Stan Getz joining the Basie Band. I listened to it, ok performance and ok recording. I think it was either on a Birdland tour or at Birdland in the early 50s. I may check my Count Basie Bio-Discography. I don't know if it's on cd. From what I remember he was only on one or two tracks. Hope that helps.

Getz sounded like Getz, but give me Frank Foster on that tune any day.

The three tracks on the Roost set are a fun coda to an essential set of music!

The Birdland Stars on Tour stuff can be found on the double Jazz Classics CD set Count Basie, Lester Young And The Stars Of Birdland On Tour!.

"Little Pony" starts off disc two - I don't have it here to check, not sure Getz is actually on it, will see if I can find it.

EDIT: just found it - "Little Pony" is indeed with Getz:

CD1

#1-3: Count Basie Orchestra

#4-6: Lester Young & Count Basie Orchestra

#7-9: Joe Williams & Count Basie Orchestra

#10-16: George Shearing Quintet

CD2:

#1-4: Stan Getz & Count Basie Orchestra

#5-9: Erroll Garner Trio

#10-17: Sarah Vaughan & Count Basie Orchestra

#18-19 (encores): Joe Williams & Count Basie Orchestra

Edited by king ubu

I have "Little Pony" by Getz with Basie on a different 2 CD set as follows.

BIRDLAND ALL-STARS AT CARNEGIE HALL - ROULETTE CDP-0777 7 98660 2

The 2 CD set has 2 additional track of Getz with Basie. Also there are 2 tracks

featuring Lester Young with Basie, 6 tracks featuring Billie Holiday with Basie,

as well as 8 additional tracks by Basie.

This set also has 3 tracks by the Charlie Parker Quartet, and 13 tracks by

Sarah Vaughan, some with Basie, and some with her trio.

All in all a marvelous 2 CD set.

But the amazon-links all lead to single disc releases...

Amazon and Amazon Germany give the correct number of discs: 2.

All four sites have the same ASIN: B000008ADB, so it's the same set.

Amazon US seems to have 2 items with similar titles. The 2 disc (it says) is the one that's $22+ from various sellers.

Hi, my local record store had an LP with Stan Getz joining the Basie Band. I listened to it, ok performance and ok recording. I think it was either on a Birdland tour or at Birdland in the early 50s. I may check my Count Basie Bio-Discography. I don't know if it's on cd. From what I remember he was only on one or two tracks. Hope that helps.

Getz sounded like Getz, but give me Frank Foster on that tune any day.

Frank Foster? Don't you mean Wardell Gray?

But the amazon-links all lead to single disc releases...

Amazon and Amazon Germany give the correct number of discs: 2.

All four sites have the same ASIN: B000008ADB, so it's the same set.

Amazon US seems to have 2 items with similar titles. The 2 disc (it says) is the one that's $22+ from various sellers.

You're right. The correct ASIN of the 2CD-set is B0009YLH68. The ones I linked to on Amazon U.K. and Amazon France seem to be single CDs indeed. Sorry I messed things up.

Can one really trust the ASIN numbers with marketplace vendors? I'd tend not to... will check more closely, thanks a lot!

No, not with marketplace vendors, I've been burnt a few times. If they sell anything I'm interested in but not sure about, I now always ask them first.

I ordered one with this cover:

834337648_L.jpg

That seems to be the 2CD set indeed.

It's also listed with that cover on CDUniverse, but the link there to Amazon Marketplace (I've wondered for a while... what's the affiliation of CDU and Amazon? Was CDU taken over?) leads to the same chaotic entries.

king ubu, that´s the right one!

it has the complete carnegie hall concert with basie, bird, lady day, prez, sassy from september 25, 1954 (lady day and also bird are not in good form) and five tracks from birdland (basie with stan getz) from december 16, 1954.

keep boppin´

marcel

There definitely is a single CD version of the "Birdland Allstars At Carnegie Hall." It was released by Roulette in 1987, before the catalogue was purchased by EMI. The CD has 23 tracks, catalogue number RCD 58009. The 1987 CD's packaging doesn't have a barcode but the cover is almost exactly the same, so it's possible that uniformed retailers and ebay sellers will get this version mixed up with the 2 CD EMI set.

Arghhhh. Mine just arrived and it's the single cd set! In fairness the seller never said it was 2 cds . I got it through the Amazon link above. I have now found another seller under the same link that is selling a 2cd set for $8.95 but it's called The Birdland All Stars LIVE at Carnegie Hall and there's no picture. I've ordered it anyway. We'll see what I get. And meanwhile I'm happy to have the single cd for now just because of the Bird, Lady and Prez cuts. (Though I haven't listened to them yet.)

Edited by medjuck