New: Robert Johnson -The Complete Original Masters

J.A.W.

May 8, 2011, marks the 100th birthday of Mississippi Delta bluesman Robert Johnson, who, according to legend, sold his soul down at the crossroads of Highway 61 and Highway 49 in a midnight bargain that has haunted the music world for three-quarters of a century. The ‘deal’ brought forth Johnson’s incandescent guitar technique and a run of 10-inch 78 rpm singles for the Vocalion, Oriole, Conqueror and Perfect labels recorded in San Antonio in 1936 and Dallas in 1937. Those songs have become a cornerstone of Columbia Records’ identity, and will be celebrated on two CENTENNIAL releases from Columbia/Legacy, a division of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

Over the years, Johnson’s influence has resounded in the music of Muddy Waters (“32-20 Blues”), Elmore James (“I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom”), Junior Parker (“Sweet Home Chicago”), John Hammond Jr. (“Milk Cow’s Calf Blues”), the Rolling Stones (“Love In Vain,” “Stop Breakin’ Down Blues”), John Mayall (“Ramblin’ On My Mind”), Cream (“From Four Until Late”), Eric Clapton (“Cross Road Blues”), Johnny Winter (“When You Got a Good Friend”), Paul Butterfield and Bonnie Raitt (“Walkin’ Blues”), Fleetwood Mac and ZZ Top (“Hellhound On My Trail”), Led Zeppelin (“Traveling Riverside Blues”), Keb’ Mo’ (“Preachin’ Blues”), Cassandra Wilson (“Come On In My Kitchen”), and countless others. It is by far the most empowering body of work in American history to emerge from one solitary blues figure.

As recently as this year, John Mayer was nominated for a Grammy Award® for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance, for his cover of “Crossroads” on his Battle Studies album, Columbia, 2009. “Cross Road Blues,” of course, gives Eric Clapton’s annual Chicago music festival its title.

full article, including details, here

Unless I missed it, I don't see any mention that they've gone back to their vaults and done anything to improve the sound of the 1990 box set - the sound on that one was nothing to write home about.

"THE CENTENNIAL COLLECTION double-disc set shares the same genealogy as 1990′s Robert Johnson – The Complete Recordings"

If they haven't improved the sound, I'm not interested.

Unless I missed it, I don't see any mention that they've gone back to their vaults and done anything to improve the sound of the 1990 box set - the sound on that one was nothing to write home about.

"THE CENTENNIAL COLLECTION double-disc set shares the same genealogy as 1990′s Robert Johnson – The Complete Recordings"

ditto - in comparison, the revenant Patton box was something new - and - for what you got, very good value. £280 is steep

The Columbia box was remastered and reissued in 1996. Columbia also released their 2 Johnson albums on CD with newly remastered sound, King of the Delta Blues Singers in 1998 and King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol.2 in 2004. The sound on those 2 discs is quite good.

Looking at the price of this box (and it is only two discs of music, right?), I get the impression that Sony is not looking at a large market. They know that they can sell a limited number of expensive sets to libraries and RJ die hards. They probably won't manufacture too many.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

God help me, I bought the new two-CD set yesterday. As much as I hate the continual repackaging of old material that record companies engage in, in this case improved technology made this issue worthwhile. I had the old Columbia LPs, the 1990 "Complete" box set, and the 1998 CD reissue of King of the Delta Blues Singers. I did some A/B comparisons with the 1990 box and the 1998 CD. This new remastering is by far the best I've ever heard; it's very natural and "present," like listening to the music on mint 78s with good equipment. The 1990 set sounds pallid and distant by comparison. I always thought that the 1998 King CD sounded pretty good, but it's not as natural sounding as the new set; the EQ seems artificial when I play the same tracks before or after the new discs.

I wasn't interested in an overpriced new deluxe box set of this material, but this very reasonably-priced double CD is well worth picking up, in my opinion.

God help me, I bought the new two-CD set yesterday. As much as I hate the continual repackaging of old material that record companies engage in, in this case improved technology made this issue worthwhile. I had the old Columbia LPs, the 1990 "Complete" box set, and the 1998 CD reissue of King of the Delta Blues Singers. I did some A/B comparisons with the 1990 box and the 1998 CD. This new remastering is by far the best I've ever heard; it's very natural and "present," like listening to the music on mint 78s with good equipment. The 1990 set sounds pallid and distant by comparison. I always thought that the 1998 King CD sounded pretty good, but it's not as natural sounding as the new set; the EQ seems artificial when I play the same tracks before or after the new discs.

I wasn't interested in an overpriced new deluxe box set of this material, but this very reasonably-priced double CD is well worth picking up, in my opinion.

The sound on this new edition is absolutely stunning. In fact it is so different (better) from the 1990 release that I didn't recognise some of the songs...and this for music I have been listening to for 50 years!

Perhaps the same engineers could now be put to work on the recordings of some of the other seminal blues artists...Charlie Patton, Blind Lemon Jefferson et al

The 1990 set had terrible sound. I stopped listening to it a long time ago. The two King of the Delta Blues releases had very fine sound (IMO), although they included only one of the alternates. The value added from this new release is that it gives the same type of treatment to the alternates as to the masters on the King of the Delta Blues releases (In fact, in some cases, what they call "alternates" here were the original perfomances issued on 78s).

Edited by John L

How do you settle that? To me it's like "the moon landing was faked." The people who believe are not going to be convinced.

I myself don't see how all the material from both sessions would be at a speed 20 percent different. The official releases never sounded "wrong" to me.

Going to have to get the new set. My friend Dave Laczko, the biggest RJ nut I know, says the sound is really improved, and he's one who rarely notices or cares about sonic things.

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks Jeff & Head Man & John L. I had my doubts about this one, but I'll be getting it & I look forward to hearing the music anew.