ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capitol reissue of INDEED going for over 300. :excited:

It ended at $1,585.

It's a Classic Records re-issue, with the faux deep-groove and addresses.

Except, of course the obvious 'Classic Records under licence etc.' line at the bottom of the back cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VG-RARE-Lee-Morgan-Ind...1QQcmdZViewItem

:rolleyes:

i don't know ... :unsure:

while looking at the pictures i've noticed that both the cover and the record look absolutely brand new, without any signs of use or aging ... no spindle marks, no fingerprints, no yellowing, nothing ... but yet the grading is only vg+++, not mint or near mint.

and you guys are complaining all the time about overgrading by ebay sellers ... :P

Edited by user0815

It ended at $1,585.

Except, of course the obvious 'Classic Records under licence etc.' line at the bottom of the back cover.

while looking at the pictures i've noticed that both the cover and the record look absolutely brand new, without any signs of use or aging ... no spindle marks, no fingerprints, no yellowing, nothing ... but yet the grading is only vg+++, not mint or near mint.

and you guys are complaining all the time about overgrading by ebay sellers ... :P

I have some vg+++ copies of rare BN, including a vg++++++++ True Blue, if you're interested, just PM. Cash only.

It ended at $1,585.

I have some vg+++ copies of rare BN, including a vg++++++++ True Blue, if you're interested, just PM. Cash only.

The trouble here is not the VG++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/NM--------------------------------------------- grading, or other bullshit, its the fact, that one more time an asshole sells a "Classic" as an original and another one (classic) asshole bids 1585 $ on it. With a little help from a good bunch of lucky assholes that made the price to this level.

Now the happy asshole has his Lee Morgan INDEEP.

It ended at $1,585.

check out the feedback from buyer. really nuts. i wonder if seller is going to get away with it. I think yes.

It ended at $1,585.

check out the feedback from buyer. really nuts. i wonder if seller is going to get away with it. I think yes.

The auction ended Feb. 8, and the positive feedback was posted Feb. 10, for a seller who doesn't accept paypal, only checks and money orders. This seems rather suspicious. Does the buyer live next door to the seller?

It ended at $1,585.

:rofl:

Makes my latest purchases from Dusty of Japanese Tempo Tubby Hayes and Japanese Yusef Lateef 'Before Dawn' at $39 each feel like an absolute bargain.

Hey sidewinder - don't mean to derail the thread for too long, but...since you mentioned that Japanese Tempo Tubby Hayes reissue - have you listened to it yet? I picked that one up from Dusty Groove as well...played it today, and...man, that thing sounds awful. I don't know if it's due to the quality of the source that was used or what, but -- eek. Give it a listen and let me know what ya think...

Edited by street singer

Hey sidewinder - don't mean to derail the thread for too long, but...since you mentioned that Japanese Tempo Tubby Hayes reissue - have you listened to it yet? I picked that one up from Dusty Groove as well...played it today, and...man, that thing sounds awful. I don't know if it's due to the quality of the source that was used or what, but -- eek. Give it a listen and let me know what ya think...

Oh dear :unsure: . It's on its way (hopefully) from Dusty along with Japanese 'Before Dawn' ( :) ) and that elusive Sahib Shihab 2LP ( :excited: ). I've got the 'Last Word' Japanese Tempo by the Couriers and it sounds fine - although I did find it a bit 'shrill' until I put it through the VPI machine and then it started sounding good. I've an original Tempo of 'The Jazz Couriers' so this will be a regular-play backup. To be honest, I was stunned with what they achieved with 'The Last Word' - a virtually exact facsimile visually (same grade lam cover etc., better than the real thing) and sonically it sounded up to standard. I was hoping for the same thing with 'The Jazz Couriers'.

Postscript - Just put 'The Jazz Couriers' on to double-check and it sounds great - nice, fat sound. Doesn't sound like a vinyl-drop either. Probably better than the real thing.

Edited by sidewinder

It ended at $1,585.

The auction ended Feb. 8, and the positive feedback was posted Feb. 10, for a seller who doesn't accept paypal, only checks and money orders. This seems rather suspicious. Does the buyer live next door to the seller?

Seller's in Palm Springs and buyer's in Austria... that's some fast shipping!

It ended at $1,585.

Seller's in Palm Springs and buyer's in Austria... that's some fast shipping!

I don't think the deal was finalized. Mutual agreement : you leave positive, i leave positive, but no transaction. (hey, sometimes i wonder if THEY read OUR comments ! :rolleyes: Obviously they should ! <_<

Does anyone has opinion about this seller and his noisy advertising policy ?

had some communication with this seller and seems like a nice guy, especially for a New Yorker. (some NYC dealers are real creeps). I think his marketing is to be admired. Its obviously very successful.

oh yeah that Lee Morgan deal never went down. someone thankfully tipped off buyer.

Edited by jazzhound

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of Japanese TAP 15 by the Jazz Couriers has just arrived - have had chance to compare it with the real thing and - it's pretty good. On both original and reissue the cymbal sound from the late Bill Eyden is a bit flat - probably roll-off on the original recording I'm afraid. On the reissue there's no attenuation of the cymbal top-end so it sounds a bit like fried eggs. The reissue does though capture the 'fat' sound of the original deep groove LP very well. In fact, with the nice silent vinyl I think I may prefer it on the whole. :excited:

The fried egg effect is a bit annoying on 'Cheek To Cheek' though. It's also there on the original, but attenuated. The Japanese reissue is too good so you get warts and all !

Edited by sidewinder