Jonah Jones

Dmitry

I was in a used book/music store the other day that had the largest selection of old Jonah Jones LPs for sale. A fan must have joined the orchestra in the sky, and family dumped all his records.

I had no idea the man was so prolific, and probably sold a lot of albums. There must have been at least 20 different titles there. Like Jonah, I love those bullet bras!

08f02519.jpg

We've got a thread on Jonah and his lps somewhere around here. I have most of them. . . and I like a lot of the material, wish the production were a little different on some of them. EMI/Capitol/Cuscuna has released one of the very best on cd (imo).

Great player! One of my favorites is availalbe on a Circle cd.

619420.jpg

He did one called "Muted Jazz" iirc and then a deluge of popular Lps with girls on the cover. I had a few of them as a kid before I was into jazz. When I started to learn about jazz I was surprised about his history. Similarly when I was a kid Cozy Cole had a recording of Topsy on the hit parade. I think the hit side was Topsy Pt 2 with a long, but danceable drum solo.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=quick_search&search_app=core&fromsearch=1

Couldn't find any threads on JJ, other than the ones above. He must've been very popular in the late 1950s, judging by the number of the LPs he put out.

As a record seller, I can assure you that Jonah moved a tremedous number of records in the late 50's and early 60's. This formula also inspired a number of other trumpeters (Roy Eldridge, Shorty Baker, Bobby Hackett, et al) to make similar records. Jonah always plays well, but rarely veers from the formula. The one exception is the album "Jonah Jones & Glen Gray" (Capitol), a hard swinging big band album with great charts by Benny Carter.

EMI/Capitol/Cuscuna has released one of the very best on cd (imo).

Which one do you have in mind? "I Dig Chicks"?

The only Jonah discs I have so far are "Jumpin' with Jonah" and the compilation "Jumpin' with Jonah".

Not sure I need too many more - they're very enjoyable but still I rarely play them.

The only Jonah discs I have so far are "Jumpin' with Jonah" and the compilation "Jumpin' with Jonah".

Not sure I need too many more - they're very enjoyable but still I rarely play them.

I haven't heard all of the Capitol Jonah's but of those I've heard IMHO "Jumpin' With Jonah" (the Capitol album that really went by that title, that is) is one of the better ones, jazz-wise.

The others I've heard are OK but you got to be in the mood for them and it is easy to see why they appealed to a MOR public too. Nothing to sneer at (his records may have served as an entry door to more substantial jazz for quite a few) but in a way he simply was the trumpet's Earl Bostic of those times (though if I had to pick one I guess I'd still go for Earl Bostic ;)).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I haven't heard all of the Capitol Jonah's but of those I've heard IMHO "Jumpin' With Jonah" (the Capitol album that really went by that title, that is) is one of the better ones, jazz-wise.

The others I've heard are OK but you got to be in the mood for them and it is easy to see why they appealed to a MOR public too. Nothing to sneer at (his records may have served as an entry door to more substantial jazz for quite a few) but in a way he simply was the trumpet's Earl Bostic of those times (though if I had to pick one I guess I'd still go for Earl Bostic ;)).

Yes, the actual Capitol album - that's one that was on CD a while ago and it's the one I got.

It has a certain charm, and I dig Jonah's playing, but it get's somewhat formulaic after twenty minutes or so.

• 3 years later...