Cal Massey - Blues to Coltrane

riverrat

I just became aware of the fact that Cal Massey recorded a session under his own name, just this single one it seems. I sure like Massey's compositions that I've heard, probably the most memorable of which (for me) is "The Are Soulful Days" on Lee Morgan's Leeway.

Is Massey's Blues For Coltrane worth picking up? If so, would there be any preference for either the 1st CD issue in 1987 or the next in 2006? (I.e. are those the same remastering?)

calmassey1.jpg

I can't comment on any differences in mastering, only the musical qualities of the session itself. Its far from perfect; there's a kind of tentativeness to the whole thing, as if the musicians are still grappling with all the implications of Massey's charts (I don't just mean the compositions, but the arrangements as well). But as a piece of documentary evidence, it is, IMO, invaluable. On the evidence of this recording, Brodie was, along with Bill Barron, one of the earliest / first tenor players to successfully "process" a strong Coltrane influence. Watkins is, as always, both elegant and incisive. Bown is not particularly well-served by either her instrument or the recording, but she does the best she can, and really digs into Massey's harmonies. There never enough G. T. Hogan to hear.

As for Massey himself... he's no great virtuoso, or maybe he was having specific difficulties this day. But he has a distinctive voice on his instrument, and its fascinating to hear him elaborate on his own themes.

Addendum: you might be surprised at how different Massey's take on "These Are Soulful Days" is compared to Morgan's.

Edited by Joe

I bought the CD when it first came out in the 80's. This was an unreleased session, and it was tantalizing. Overall I agree with riverrat's comments. There is some fine music to be heard here. The opportunity to hear from the scarcely recorded Hugh Brodie is a plus, but Massey's trumpet playing is, to be delicate, limited. It's not difficult to see why the session went unreleased originally. If you are intrigued by Massey's music (as I was), there's something here, but the date is flawed by Massey's limitations as a trumpeter.

Generally agree on this not being what it coud/should/ might have been, but what it is is still well worth hearing. You could make a very nice CD-R of all the compositions of his others did on Blue Note (Lee M, Freddie H, Wayne S, am I forgetting someone?)and another of the ones Coltrane and Shepp did on Impulse. Is his son Zane stil active?