Norah Jones - Feels Like Home

Aggie87

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who is this "MoJo" I keep heaing so much about? Mother Jones?

Look carefully. It's not MoJo, it NoJo. :P

It's a cutesy, happening, hip nickname for Norah Jones fashioned from the first two letters from NOrah and the first two letters from JOnes. ;)

If you missed the MoJo vs Nojo thing you might have missed that there is some sort of rumor floating around that Norah Jones is really Ravi Shankar's daughter.

Really!!!! :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Jones and Alexander live in a postwar luxury building overlooking the West Side Highway, a duplex that's just a temporary stop while they have a loft -- Jones's only big purchase so far with her newfound gazillions -- renovated in the East Village.

Cooper Union Sq., I think. I play in the E. Village, they should stop by. ;)

When I opened the door to leave, I found Jones herself in the outer room. Because I was the first person from the outside to hear the record, I thought she might ask my opinion. She didn't. ''I'm just not a needy person,'' she told me the next day. ''I don't crave people's approval.''

If I sold all those records, I wouldn't really need everybody elses opinion!

:w

No, I distincly remember hearing the name "MoJo" used by a Negro bluesman on a recent televion broadcast in one of his song-poems dealing with the Negro experience in America. I believe his name was Monty Walterson, Jr., although about the "Jr." part, I am not totally certain. He said, and I quote, "I have gotten my MoJo working", which I assume means that the person in question has finally found gainful employment after much effort.

To whom is he refering? Who is this "MoJo" who obviously means so much to Mr. Walterson, Jr.?

No, I distincly remember hearing the name "MoJo" used by a Negro bluesman on a recent televion broadcast in one of his song-poems dealing with the Negro experience in America. I believe his name was Monty Walterson, Jr., although about the "Jr." part, I am not totally certain. He said, and I quote, "I have gotten my MoJo working", which I assume means that the person in question has finally found gainful employment after much effort.

To whom is he refering? Who is this "MoJo" who obviously means so much to Mr. Walterson, Jr.?

Ask Muddy.

Day8_MuddyWaters_HD5967.jpg

His works.

Mine works too, but I don't go around singing about it. :wacko:

How 'bout we goin to my kitchen and whip up some mojo, damm quick. Toss some mantra, clarified butter and some tiny little purple fishes in. Smell funny real quick and chase those bad luck demons away.

Work real good, but it just won't work on that object of affection. :wub:

He said, and I quote, "I have gotten my MoJo working", which I assume means that the person in question has finally found gainful employment after much effort.

Jim, is it possible "MoJo" refers to a thing and not a person.

You know, I took my "MoJo" into the shop yesterday, and today I have gotten my "MoJo" working.

In this case "Mojo" could be a 1984 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, or a Sony Play Station. ;)

Of course "MoJo" could have been the mechanics name, or the tech at Best Buy, or could have indeed been of friend of Walterson's that needed a ride to work.

:huh:;)

Jim, is it possible "MoJo" refers to a thing and not a person.

No. The narrator of the television program said that Negro blues singers like Mr. Walterson, Jr. sang about real people in their song-poems dealing with the Negro experience in America. He said nothing about singing about things, although allusion was made to the use of metaphor and other European literary devices.

Perhaps this "MoJo" is a symbolic quantity, an anthromorphic designation of an actual person in Mr. Walterson, Jr.'s life. And perhaps "NoJo" is to whom it refers?

Has "NoJo" ever rendered sevices for Mr. Walterson, Jr. or anybody in his immediate circle of accquaintances? That would be a logical conclusion which to draw, do you not agree?

Has "NoJo" ever rendered sevices for Mr. Walterson, Jr. or anybody in his immediate circle of accquaintances?

That depends, was Mr. Walterson Jr. ever a record executive at EMI or Blue Note?

;)

I do agree it is a logical conclusion.

I think I'm off on my way to get my "MoJo" working right now. :D B)

I, too, have heard Negro Bluesmen (particularly Mr. Mickinley Morgenfeld) referring to his "MoJo" working, but that it "just won't work on you." By this I infer that Mr. Morgenfeld's "MoJo" is broken. Does anybody know of a shop that services "MoJos?" Or would it be more sensible for Mr. Morgenfeld to simply replace his "MoJo" with a functional model?

Edited by Alexander

Perhaps NoJo is also distantly related to a certain Mr. Mojo Risin, who allegedly slipped the bonds of this mortal coil circa 1971, but who is rumored to haunt convenience stores and truck stops along the American highway, looking for the feast that he was promised.

I assume that since the article said that she is Ravi Shankar's daughter and doesn't like to talk about it, that it must be true.

I thought it was amusing that the article referred to Blue Note as a boutique label. I was thinking of writing a letter to the Editor saying "Idiots! BN was one of the preeminent jazz labels of the 50s and 60s."

Perhaps NoJo is also distantly related to a certain Mr. Mojo Risin, who allegedly slipped the bonds of this mortal coil circa 1971, but who is rumored to haunt convenience stores and truck stops along the American highway, looking for the feast that he was promised.

:g

Tell him to try the "chicken fried steak"!