Paul Desmond on Artists House

Head Man

I know of only one Desmond album on Artists House

10491.jpg

and do not know of any CD release!

Thanks brownie. Yes, that's the one - Artists House AH2. I thought all the Artists House albums had eventually be re-issued so I'm surprised that I can't find this one anywhere. I think the A&M album "The Paul Desmond Quartet - Live" was recorded at the same time and place and that has been re-issued so......anyone else know anything about this?

I believe the rights to all of the Artists House recordings reverted to the artists. Since Desmond is deceased, perhaps whoever is handling his affairs has no interest in getting onto the CD business. Without checking, I believe that this material comes from the same sessions that produced the A&M live album and a live CD on Telarc.

I believe the rights to all of the Artists House recordings reverted to the artists. Since Desmond is deceased, perhaps whoever is handling his affairs has no interest in getting onto the CD business. Without checking, I believe that this material comes from the same sessions that produced the A&M live album and a live CD on Telarc.

You're sorta right, Stereojack, about those sessions. My friend Don Thompson is the bassist on them, and he recorded them. (Set up a 4-track machine with four mics direct in, mixing them later).

But the Telarc release comes from the first tapings, in March of 1975. The A&M 2-lp set (which was put on CD) and the Artists House come from late October and early November 1975.

There are other unreleased recordings from Thompson's collection of Desmond tapes done at Bourbon Street in Toronto. For example, there's Desmond with Rob MCConnell on valve trombone, Don on bass and Jerry Fuller on drums. Ed Bickert's father died during the gig, and Ed left for the funeral. Desmond was open to having another horn rather than guitar or piano replace Ed. I think there was a move to have that stuff released, but the deal fell through...

If you're a Desmond/Bickert completist, as I am, be aware of an April 1976 recording from the Edmonton Jazz Festival on Gambit. Bootleg? I'd guess so -- it comes from a CBC radio recording I think.

There's a "bonus track" ("Line For Lyons") on the CD issue of the 2 LP A&M album - I always assumed it was originally part of the Artists House issue, but that got away from me long ago...

Good catch! The tune's the same, and from the same engagement, but they are different takes.

The CD issue states "Track 9 previously unissued". Since both the A&M/Verve and Artist's House releases were produced by John Snyder, I'm sure there wouldn't be a duplication. (But without the AH at hand, I can't prove it...)