Stanley Turrentine #4754/5000

Hi All,

I ordered the Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintet/Sextet Studio Sessions on 11/9/10 and the number on the inside cover is 4754/5000, do they really only have 246 (less now) left? Should it be close to "running low" status? Anyway, I don't know why I waited so long to get this set! It's fantastic, and I wanted to let people know that if you're on the fence, and like hard bop and strong blowing tenor players, GET THIS! I don't want to start a rumor or be alarmist...but I've misssed several sets as they were going out of print that I should have gotten and wanted to give everyone a heads up!

BTW, I received the Hank Mobley in early December 2010 and it was only numbered 5897/7500...this must have been a returned set, and I got it. Because there should be NO WAY that this set is only that far along. AGAIN, a set that I LOVE and can't believe that I waited this long to get.

Pretty sure they don't send the sets out in exact numerical order.

Have read discussions here and elsewhere to that effect.

Time to trot out the email from Mosaic's Fred about the numbering of the big boxes, which I received--and posted here--in September 2010:

They are sent out in sequential order. For new sets the number is preprinted on the back beginning with set # 245 Bing Crosby.

Regards,

Fred

Try to pay attention this time! tongue.gif

Or else maybe they don't move that fast after the first wave of sales.

I was just writing along those same lines, when I saw you responded!

I've read posts where Mosaic has said that the Boxed sets (not Selects) are sent out in numerical order. However, I was looking through my sets and I ordered the Lionel Hampton set in Feb. 2010 and that number is 4082/5000. Perhaps the initial sales of newly released boxed sets are large and it's just steadily falling demand from release? For example, Mosaic has already sold 1,000+ sets of the new Ellington box. So perhaps Mosaic is only selling a few Turrentine sets per week, and therefore won't need to put it on the running low list for a while. Anyways, I am going to stop speculating and listen to some music!

Thanks for the comments.

Since the warehousing/shipping is now being handled by an outside firm, what Mosaic thinks is happening and what in fact, had been happening, may not be happening anymore. The people in the warehouse who probably house and ship dozens of items besides Mosaic likely just grab whatever box happens to be handy at the moment - top, middle or bottom shelf. The Turrentine box I received last spring had no number at all. Even so, it is still a great set! :)

Edited by John Tapscott

So perhaps Mosaic is only selling a few Turrentine sets per week, and therefore won't need to put it on the running low list for a while. Anyways, I am going to stop speculating and listen to some music!

Thanks for the comments.

A few sets a week is optimistic.

OUCH! That's too bad. Hopefully the cash flow situation at Mosaic is much better than last year at this time. Because I want Mosaic to be around for a LONG time to come.

I've read posts where Mosaic has said that the Boxed sets (not Selects) are sent out in numerical order. However, I was looking through my sets and I ordered the Lionel Hampton set in Feb. 2010 and that number is 4082/5000.

Okay, now we have definitive proof that they don't go out in chronological order. I got the Hampton set two weeks ago and my number is 2481.

So, the next time somebody says they put them out in the order they are shipped, just link to this thread and we can dispel that impression once and for all.

I've read posts where Mosaic has said that the Boxed sets (not Selects) are sent out in numerical order. However, I was looking through my sets and I ordered the Lionel Hampton set in Feb. 2010 and that number is 4082/5000.

Okay, now we have definitive proof that they don't go out in chronological order. I got the Hampton set two weeks ago and my number is 2481.

So, the next time somebody says they put them out in the order they are shipped, just link to this thread and we can dispel that impression once and for all.

CRAP! Ok, the 4082 is the LESTER YOUNG set....My Hampton is 2415. I placed my order for both the Hampton and Lester Young sets on 2/16/2010. Sorry for the confusion. But even with my typo, you getting your Hampton and it's 2481, I ordered mine a YEAR ago and it's 2415. I sure hope they have sold more than that in a year!!!! WOW.

CRAP! Ok, the 4082 is the LESTER YOUNG set....My Hampton is 2415. I placed my order for both the Hampton and Lester Young sets on 2/16/2010. Sorry for the confusion. But even with my typo, you getting your Hampton and it's 2481, I ordered mine a YEAR ago and it's 2415. I sure hope they have sold more than that in a year!!!! WOW.

This has come up many times over the last several years, and every time someone contacts Mosaic, we get the same response--the big sets are shipped in sequential order (unless a set is returned, in which case that number is recycled). Brad received a similar response from Mosaic 5 or so years ago, and I used to quote the email HE posted whenever this came up, until I got my very own email (from Fred) a few months ago.

Sorry, FOTB. smile.gif

You guys make me want to order both sets just to find out which numbers I'll get. :lol:

I think Mosaic, prior to outsourcing their shipping department last year, guaranteed sequential ordering of the black box sets, unless of course you just happened to be given a recycled set (i.e., where a customer exercised the 30-day return policy). The receipt that accompanied the set would include the serial number.

Now the receipts don't come with serial numbers and we're finding more and more cases of near-limit numbers with apparently no cause for concern of those sets selling out. The booklets are still hand-numbered at the time of sale (except for the most recently released sets, which are now machine-generated), so perhaps it's the serial-number-generating software that's to blame.

You guys make me want to order both sets just to find out which numbers I'll get. :lol:

I think Mosaic, prior to outsourcing their shipping department last year, guaranteed sequential ordering of the black box sets, unless of course you just happened to be given a recycled set (i.e., where a customer exercised the 30-day return policy). The receipt that accompanied the set would include the serial number.

Now the receipts don't come with serial numbers and we're finding more and more cases of near-limit numbers with apparently no cause for concern of those sets selling out. The booklets are still hand-numbered at the time of sale (except for the most recently released sets, which are now machine-generated), so perhaps it's the serial-number-generating software that's to blame.

You SHOULD buy both sets!!!! They are fantastic :party: