Bill Evans Vanguard live '67 w/ Philly Joe

Rooster_Ties

I used to own the Bill Evans Verve complete set (traded it for a couple hundred dollars towards some great vintage Danish Modern furniture a few years ago).

Anyway, I've always been meaning to get the roughly 3-discs of live material from (I think) 1967, with Philly Joe as I recall (and if my Google-fu is accurate), from the Village Vanguard I believe. Some of this came from a regular album, but well more than half of the material from the rust-box was (then) previously unreleased.

I seem to remember some reissue of just this Vanguard '67 material -- but can't seem to find anything definitive (or as comprehensive as what was on the rust-box).

What's the most complete way to get this material (short of the rusty-option)? Would have burned a copy of just that material at the time, but I really dislike burns when legit (silver-disc) options are available.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

California Here I Come is only one CD. The two other CDs worth of material from this gig, I believe, have only been available on the Verve Box.

You should of made some CDRs, dude! That goes for the 1964 gig at the Trident Club as well.

Edited by John L

The complete concert was released in Japan:

I think there was also a three volumes also released in Japan, but outside of the rust-box, never in the USA.

Ah yes, that's right. Was it ever a unified single release (3-discs, I'm guessing) in Japan, or (from the pics you posted), it looks like one double-disc, and one single.

I guess the point is moot, as I would suspect it's long out of print.

Philly Joe is killin' on here.

That was my big draw. Seemed like more aggressive playing (overall, at least on the uptempo cuts) than I was otherwise used to hearing from Bill. These '67 live recordings with Philly seemed like my semi-ultimate "go-to" recordings of Bill Evans -- at least when last I heard them a few years ago.

Was it ever a unified single release (3-discs, I'm guessing) in Japan, or (from the pics you posted), it looks like one double-disc, and one single.

I guess the point is moot, as I would suspect it's long out of print.

The Evans sets pictured were released as two 2-disc sets, 46 tracks total, in 2004. UCCV-4111/2 & UCCV-4113/4.

UCCV-4111/2

UCCV-4113/4

Edited by Hank