Vi Redd

Bright Moments

Thanks for that reference! I was just interviewing Big Jay McNeely today (for the first time of several for a documentary I'm making on him), and he mentioned Vi Redd. She was daughter of Alma Hightower, a key music instructor in Los Angeles whom many people here learned from, including Jay. He really respects both.

By the way, no one currently knows of any footage of Big Jay (or indeed of Central Avenue) from his (and its) hey day in the late 1940s/early 1950s. None, literally. Any of you happen to know any other obscure sources.

Not wanting to pour too much water into the wine, but some time ago I sought out "Bird Call" myself, found an LP in a local secondhand record store but decided to give it a listen in the store first. Instrumental-wise quite interesting but - sorry to say - her singing not only left me unimpressed but decidely marred the record for me so I decided to pass it up at the not quite so cheap price tag for this record (later repress/reissue of the original with B/W cover).

Tastes may vary and one man's meat is another one's poison, of course (which is a fact of life and GOT to be accepted), but that one just turned out not to be my cup of tea.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

They were taken on June 29 - 30, 1977.

The bass player is Lynn Milano.

It was a real treat to see and hear Mary Osborne and Vi Redd!

428863385_a210e7308f_z.jpg

Marcello, Were these from the gig at the Roundtowner Motel in Rochester, NY?

I lived in Rochester at that time and heard this all women's group one evening at

the Roundtowner Motel. The music was very good.

Not wanting to pour too much water into the wine, but some time ago I sought out "Bird Call" myself, found an LP in a local secondhand record store but decided to give it a listen in the store first. Instrumental-wise quite interesting but - sorry to say - her singing not only left me unimpressed but decidely marred the record for me so I decided to pass it up at the not quite so cheap price tag for this record (later repress/reissue of the original with B/W cover).

Tastes may vary and one man's meat is another one's poison, of course (which is a fact of life and GOT to be accepted), but that one just turned out not to be my cup of tea.

I hear ya. I was underwhelmed by this record too. The performance on film at the American Jazz Museum beats anything on "Bird Calls" hands-down for me.

Great to see that there's (finally) a new reissue of 'Bird Call'...Have seen that album/cd many times on ebay reaching prices like almost 100$, and as interesting as it is, no cd with 30min. music on it is worth a 100$...

I know a store here in town that has at least 5 pieces of her 2nd album...Maybe I'll buy it one day...The tunes on that one are less appealing (for me...)

j.

looked like a good deal until i found out that shipping was 25 bucks!

:(

should have considered that as a factor for those in the USA/Europe

Shipping rates here to Australia are very reasonable

Have been buying from this crowd for the last 3-4 years