Last Night in Portland Maine - A Shocking Experience

AllenLowe

ok - so some of you may recall that I'm not crazy about Maine and have had some, errrr, how shall we say it, PROBLEMS with the local scene -

ok, so a few weeks ago I get a call, because there's a local, small, performance space that is planning, of all things, a Marion Brown tribute. And we're invited to play. Strange, given that in a city of 50,000 I would wager about 6 people have heard of him.

So I go last night, my group opens up, small but nice crowd. We do about a half hour.

we finish and a guy goes on stage, light southern accent (he's from El Paso), stationed in Portland for the Coast Guard (he has a desk job). He sets up a trumpet, an old Wurlitzer electric, and an alto.

and then....proceeds to put on one of the most amazing musical displays I have ever seen - first, a gorgeous piano solo piece, moody and lyrical. Then, a short trumpet solo, technically rough but very nice - and then.....a 10 minute piece, playing alto, in probably the closest approximation I have EVER heard to Ornette Coleman's spirit and meaning - not a copy, but a brilliant evocation of the whole Texas/blues/avant garde spirit with a very Ornette-ish sound and perspective. But that's not all - at one point he alternates between brief phrases on the alto and a beautifully rough vocal of a gospel tune, doing his own call and response.

and then - to finish off, takes out a harmonica and does a solo, stomping, vocal/harp version of a Georgia Sea Islands tune.

this guy - his name is Spike Sykes - can't be more than 30, and is a genius. I was completely bowled over. Nice guy too, only been in Maine for 9 months.

I now have a new friend, AND a second horn player for the band (and btw he went to North Texas State).

In my entire jazz experience (since about 1968) I have heard maybe 5 other musicians in person who effected me like this guy and whose work has jumped out at me like his playing. In Portland-fucking-Maine, of all places.

Wow.

Edited by AllenLowe

ok - so some of you may recall that I'm not crazy about Maine and have had some, errrr, how shall we say it, PROBLEMS with the local scene -

ok, so a few weeks ago I get a call, because there's a local, small, performance space that is planning, of all things, a Marion Brown tribute. And we're invited to play. Strange, given that in a city of 50,000 I would wager about 6 people have heard of him.

So I go last night, my group opens up, small but nice crowd. We do about a half hour.

we finish and a guy goes on stage, light southern accent (he's from El Paso), stationed in Portland for the Coast Guard (he has a desk job). He sets up a trumpet, an old Wurlitzer electric, and an alto.

and then....proceeds to put on one of the most amazing musical displays I have ever seen - first, a gorgeous piano solo piece, moody and lyrical. Then, a short trumpet solo, technically rough but very nice - and then.....a 10 minute piece, playing alto, in probably the closest approximation I have EVER heard to Ornette Coleman's spirit and meaning - not a copy, but a brilliant evocation of the whole Texas/blues/avant garde spirit with a very Ornette-ish sound and perspective. But that's not all - at one point he alternates between brief phrases on the alto and a beautifully rough vocal of a gospel tune, doing his own call and response.

and then - to finish off, takes out a harmonica and does a solo, stomping, vocal/harp version of a Georgia Sea Islands tune.

this guy - his name is Spike Sykes - can't be more than 30, and is a genius. I was completely bowled over. Nice guy too, only been in Maine for 9 months.

I now have a new friend, AND a second horn player for the band (and btw he went to North Texas State).

In my entire jazz experience (since about 1968) I have heard maybe 5 other musicians in person who effected me like this guy and whose work has jumped out at me like his playing. In Portland-fucking-Maine, of all places.

Wow.

what an exciting, and heartwarming experience, for each of us.

surely, you will record him.

thank you.

thanks, just talked to him - on top of everything else, he's a terrific pianist, so looks like we'll have two altos, one piano, and a vocalist. Good timing since my next project is going to be along the lines of old-time song (think gospel/hillbilly). I've been talking to Peter Stampfel (of the old Holy Modal Rounders) who is extremely interested, also possibly Howard Fishman. Only problem is that I just got turned down (for the third time this year) for a Maine Arts Commission grant. Guess they think I'm not quite ready.....

Allan, that is the most uplifting post I have read in all my time on this board. I join those who eagerly await a recording by Mr. Sykes.

I hope that more than the five who ever heard of Marion Brown showed up, and I look forward to hearing that your passionate preservation of sounds past has reached the ears of a McArthur scout. Having wasted so much of the Foundation's money on the likes of Crouch, perhaps they are more discriminating (in a good sense) now. That would flag you favorably!

he seemed to like our little band (trio; bass player was missing, but that's an old story); as I mentioned, we should be rehearsing some time after New Year's. It's interesting, because he's one of those talents who has to be handled correctly; he does so many thing well but, as with so much music today, talent in the service of sub-standard material is wasted.

thanks, Chris, for the kind words. I await the letter in the mailbox.

as for grants, the situation continues to frustrate, though I know I'm not alone in this whole frustrating situation.

and, since I like to keep people guessing, we're auditioning a new bassist tomorrow......

Edited by AllenLowe