2010-11 NCAA Bowl Games

Oh wow, just got back from watching at a bar where I bonded with strangers who became best friends for 3 hours. Vegas knows best with Auburn + 2 1/2. But damn, I think the over/under was a major surprise. I expected Auburn to win but not the lack of points. Oh well, Mr. Nike is going to throw down a bunch more million bucks for a multi-story building to house the football coaching headquarters so this "O" state may just surpass this likes of Ohio & Oklahoma for jockiness foolishness. The state may go bankrupt, but footballwise we be competitive as fuck.

Newton never did take command of the game like maybe he could have. He missed a wide open receiver in the end zone on one throw and fumbled the ball away late, leading to a Ducks' game-tying TD on the ensuing drive.

Those two miscues alone resulted in a 15-point swing (missed TD for Auburn, TD for Oregon and 2-point conversion after the Newton fumble). Even if you factor in the safety Oregon gave up after Newton missed the open receiver for a TD, those two mistakes still account for a 13-point swing.

Newton did have some rushing yards and made some nice plays through the air. But he certainly let some opportunities slip away as well. As a result, the Ducks were in it until the end.

I guess it came down to the Auburn defensive front pretty much controlling the line of scrimmage when they had to. That forced the Ducks into some misdirection, trick-play type stuff. Some of it worked. Some of it didn't.

But, an exciting finish and a fun game to watch, even though neither offense seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

To repeat what I said earlier today in response to a Facebook post by Paul McKee:

Neither team seemed that great. Defensive battle in this case was mostly offensive ineptitude. College FB is in a rather sorry state IMO. Saw just a few guys who could play on the so-called next level -- maybe one on Oregon, three or so on Auburn's defense. Newton looked like he'll be another Jamarcus Russell.

To repeat what I said earlier today in response to a Facebook post by Paul McKee:

Neither team seemed that great. Defensive battle in this case was mostly offensive ineptitude. College FB is in a rather sorry state IMO. Saw just a few guys who could play on the so-called next level -- maybe one on Oregon, three or so on Auburn's defense. Newton looked like he'll be another Jamarcus Russell.

Quality of play was not helped by the one year lay-off between Oregon / Auburn's final game and yesterday.

I don't get cable tv, so I listened on the radio. Before the game I favored Oregon because the Pac 10 hadn't won a national championship in my memory. But the announcer Tirico was so obviously enamored with Oregon, I found myself pulling for Auburn. It was as if Oregon was the only undefeated team in the country and therefore deserved to win.

Pretty disappointing. If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, then the Duck's offensive co-ordinator is certifiable. One of the most repetitious and unimaginative game plans I've ever seen. Not only that, but when all the crack-pot gadget plays failed to work, there appeared to be no Plan B. It's not like the Ducks haven't played teams with decent defensive lines, but I guess nothing like they were up against last night. Auburn got into the backfield so quickly, half the time it looked like they'd lined up on the offensive side of the ball. Oregon's answer? No adjustments appear to be necessary.

One other thing. Whoever was responsible for the preparation of the turf last night ought to be gagged, bagged and tagged. Players from both teams were slipping and sliding all night long. What an embarrassment. The only upside is that bad turf is an equal opportunity employer.

I still say if someone before the game had told me Auburn would score 22 points and win, I would have bet the farm they were wrong.

A good season that could have been great. Duck nation mourns the lost opportunity.

Edited by Dave James