Dave Brubeck Documentary on TCM Dec 6th

I saw the quartet in Des Moines (forget if I was in high school or a freshman in college) and after the concert I spoke with the group members. Wound up at the Fort Des Moines Hotel with the band at a "reception" held for them - you know the "society" types fawning. After a few courtesy "hellos" the band made an early exit and they took me along. Morello, Desmond and Wright eventually went to their rooms but Brubeck said "I'm hungry, how about you". Don't remember my answer but we wound up in the hotel restaurant and he ordered steak dinners for the two of us. The kitchen was closed but they made an exception for him, but we sat at a counter to eat. I can still see him next to me, cutting his steak. I have no memory of the conversation(s), but remember the kindness.

Stuff like this means a bunch.

Nice story! :tup

OMFG, Dave Brubeck lives in the MOST AMAZING MODERN HOUSE in Connecticut that he's lived in since 1960. YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY TO SEE THIS AMAZING HOUSE!!!

The house he lived in before that is certainly noteworthy as well.

That's pretty amazing too! The guy had great taste in design, matching his futurist musical outlook.

The Brubeck was shown in the UK last night.

Quite enjoyable, though too many celebrities (Clint, Jamie Cullum, Sting) and family members drooping over the piano in awestruck wonder at the genius. A bit hammy in that respect. But worth watching.

These were a bit of a drawback for me, but the good far outweighed the bad, and there was planty of vintage footage, even an interview with Paul Desmond!

That was pretty much my reaction.

No one else was bowled over by the house? I dream of living in a place like that one day. They should have spent at least 10 minutes talking about the house, the architect, etc.

The house was remarkable, but I must be getting old, because the first thing I thought about it was that it looked hard to clean.

BTW, I did happen to catch part of "All Night Long" and caught sight of Mingus in the nightclub band. Nice!

Anyone happen to catch the recent TCM repeat of "The Strip," a Mickey Rooney B-movie from around 1951? It's slight (I swear, if it weren't for all the musical performances the film would clock in at barely an hour) but it features Louis Armstrong and His All-Stars, including Jack Teagarden, Earl Hines, and Barney Bigard. For this alone it has to count as one of my favorite films. And the ubiquitous, lovable William Demarest is also in it!