Joe Henderson Trio at the Village Vanguard

Durium

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's no bigger Joe Henderson fan than I am, but I remember being distinctly disappointed when the first volume of these recordings was released on LP, mostly because Al Foster was so deep in the mix there were times it sounded like a tenor-bass duet record; but also because the playing felt oddly inhibited at times.

I recall the second volume on LP being slightly better in terms of the sound and livelier performances, but I wouldn't swear to it at this point. While I don't own the double CD, I heard parts of it at one point and recall thinking that the sound was much improved. Can anyone confirm this? I have not heard this music in a long time, so perhaps it is time to revisit.

I always thought that "muffled" and "recorded at the Vanguard" kind of went hand-in-hand to a certain degree...it's not at all a "live" room.

The first quote from a couple of years ago suggests the recording might be flawed to a certain degree, although the first (and only) CD mastering was apparently an improvement over the vinyl.

This new 2013 remastering proves the recording was much better than might be concluded from the eighties releases of this material.

Both the music and the sound had me spellbound with a big grin on my face.

I just got Volume 1 of this japanese version and I totally agree that it sounds way better than my domestic cd version.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!!