Hector Berlioz

B. Goren.

Symphonie Fantastique - of course! There's a magnificent Boulez recording on DG and several by Colin Davis, most recently on LSO Live. The Boulez is in fantastic sound and comes with a generous filler.

Of his operas and other large scale works the obvious thing is to go for Les Troyens (The Trojans) which is the biggest of the bunch and the best. Again, two Colin Davis versions, the more recent on LSO Live.

Davis did most of Berlioz for Philips and then more recently for LSO Live. The Philips stuff might be harder to come by now; the LSO Live is all in print, many works are in a Centenary Box, and others are on SACD.

Not everyone gets on with the LSO Live acoustic from London's Barbican and I suggest sampling before making a big commitment. The Philips sound is good but dated.

Berlioz is very rewarding and once you start you'll want to push on!

• 4 years later...

Don't miss "The Damnation of Faust."

Best recording I know is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Berlioz-Damnation-Faust-Hector/dp/B00000I9WV/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1440007135&sr=1-11&keywords=faust+monteux

"Damnation" is, in effect (or so I thought at one time), the first motion picture.

21C1SP1YM0L.jpg

Edited by Larry Kart

If want to hear the Symphonie fantastique in the sound that Berlioz heard, try this:

41luhxPnk8L._SS500_.jpg

Several instruments in the orchestra that are not common anymore that make for a drastically different sound, like ophicleides ...

This one is even better, I had the pleasure of attending a live performance of this orchestra with this piece, an overwhelming experience!

51sHhSWFJHL.jpg