2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

I found Cashman's attitude and disclosure of his stance a little odd. If I told my superior that I didn't want to participate in a decision the company made (as long as it didn't violate laws or ethics) and then after the deal was done told the world I disagreed with the decision, I think I'd be looking for a new job. Somehow, the rules we all have to live by don't seem to apply to the sports world.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found Cashman's attitude and disclosure of his stance a little odd. If I told my superior that I didn't want to participate in a decision the company made (as long as it didn't violate laws or ethics) and then after the deal was done told the world I disagreed with the decision, I think I'd be looking for a new job. Somehow, the rules we all have to live by don't seem to apply to the sports world.

Cashman may have been looking to salvage his credibility, as he had stated that he wouldn't do a deal like this, and then...

Not sure if its official yet but apparently the Rays are adding both Damon and Manny. Not sure Damon really has all that much left to offer but it seems to me that Manny protecting Longoria makes the Rays offense pretty dangerous, and if Damon gets on base with some consistency, the offense ought to be good enough.

Forget about rebuilding, the Rays are going for it this year. :g

(Although I still have my doubts about the bullpen, I'd have to say that the Rays are positioned to make the Yankees sweat the wild card.)

Not sure if its official yet but apparently the Rays are adding both Damon and Manny. Not sure Damon really has all that much left to offer but it seems to me that Manny protecting Longoria makes the Rays offense pretty dangerous, and if Damon gets on base with some consistency, the offense ought to be good enough.

(Although I still have my doubts about the bullpen, I'd have to say that the Rays are positioned to make the Yankees sweat the wild card.)

Bullpen, yeah. Big doubts.

The move to acquire Manny and Damon is being perceived here, at least initially, as an effort (and a good one) to put some fannies in the seats this year, basically a transition year, while they reload for the future.

joe-maddon-ap1-300x233.jpg

Bullpen, yeah. Big doubts.

The move to acquire Manny and Damon is being perceived here, at least initially, as an effort (and a good one) to put some fannies in the seats this year, basically a transition year, while they reload for the future.

joe-maddon-ap1-300x233.jpg

Paps, I imagine you must feel MUCH better about 2011, even with Damon and Manny not being in their prime! Really don't know why they didn't sign a few decent folks for the bullpen, some guys are/were fairly affordable, and you can't win the AL East(or anywhere else) without a good bullpen....

These two quotes sum up what a mess the Angels are:

“The Angels will pay a combined $52.4 million to three center fielders next season — Wells, Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr., who no longer is with the club. And, if the team commits to Peter Bourjos in center, it is possible that none of them will be in center field!”

"Most teams try to get younger, cheaper and better. The Angels got older, more expensive and possibly worse."

What were the Angels thinking?

Rest of story

All is well in my pin-striped world. Word this morning has the Yankees signing Bartolo Colon to a minor league deal. What could I possibly have been worried about? Between him and Mark Prior, #28 is just around the corner. Can you spell d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-i-o-n?

Here's a brighter spot of "news" (quotes because it's not really news, it's a report of increased optimism):

Yankees more optimistic about possible return of Pettitte

As I've said before, although I'd certainly welcome the improvement to a worrisome and shaky rotation, I'd mostly just be happy to have an official last hurrah for Andy. If he does come back, I'm making a date with MLB radio for every Pettitte start this coming year.

As one of my fellow Yank fans at work said today, "He hasn't pitched in the majors in two years, he must be 400 lbs by now".

Word. If Colon ever makes it to the big (pardon the pun) club, they'll have to put him and CC on a separate plane.

All is well in my pin-striped world. Word this morning has the Yankees signing Bartolo Colon to a minor league deal. What could I possibly have been worried about? Between him and Mark Prior, #28 is just around the corner. Can you spell d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-i-o-n?

Here's a brighter spot of "news" (quotes because it's not really news, it's a report of increased optimism):

Yankees more optimistic about possible return of Pettitte

As I've said before, although I'd certainly welcome the improvement to a worrisome and shaky rotation, I'd mostly just be happy to have an official last hurrah for Andy. If he does come back, I'm making a date with MLB radio for every Pettitte start this coming year.

The Pettitte possibility is good news, but unless Hughes and, especially, Burnett pitch up to and beyond their capabilities, it's still going to be a long year. ((A Yankees starter allowed six or more runs 25 times last year, a total exceeded only by six non-playoff teams -- the Pirates, Diamondbacks, White Sox, Orioles, Brewers, Royals.)

Edited by Dave James

This article, detailing Madoff's involvement with the Wilpons (owner of the Mets) and the Mets, would seem to cloud the Mets financial future.

The Wilpons have a meeting scheduled with Selig to discuss their financial difficulties.

Frankly, I've never been a big fan of the Wilpons. In 30 years of ownership, they've produced one World Series title, one other WS appearance and less than a handful of playoff appearances.

The father, Fred, has turned over day to day operation to his son, Jeff, who has been specatacularly unimpressive and meddles in baseball decisions.

I hope their attempt to find an investor to purchase a minority interest leads to their selling of the team.

I think the writing is on the wall in that regard, Brad. With the trustee suing because they took out more money than they invested, they'll probably be forced to sell eventually. Remarkable to me was the fact that they took their deferred payment obligations and invested the money with Madoff, pocketing the profit over the agreed-upon interest rate.

Of course that should be "profit" since it was all illusory.

I think the writing is on the wall in that regard, Brad. With the trustee suing because they took out more money than they invested, they'll probably be forced to sell eventually. Remarkable to me was the fact that they took their deferred payment obligations and invested the money with Madoff, pocketing the profit over the agreed-upon interest rate.

Of course that should be "profit" since it was all illusory.

You have to wonder what happened to the deferred payments and whether they have the money to make them. If not, you'll see some suits from players.

The sooner they get the hell out, the better off the Mets will be.

I think the Mets are screwed as long as the Wilpons own it. They may owe huge amounts of $$ from the clawback lawsuit, and now it looks like the Wilpons and Madoff were a lot more than just business acquaintances. It looks now that Sandy Alderson was hired at Selig's request because the Wilpons knew they were in trouble and needed a guy who could work with a scaled down budget. I had thought that the Mets could get a good free agent or two next offseason, when there's no Beltran/Castillo/Perez($36 mil)on the books, but that $$ will just go away rather than spent to improve the team. Sad to see...

Pettitte's retiring, according to ESPN. I don't mind the blow to the Yankees' playoff chances so much; the last 15 years, as I've said before, have been a great run. But I will miss getting to see him take a lap around the MLB for one last season. He's the first of the Core 4 to go. Thanks for the greatness, Mr. Pettitte.

AndyPettitte33.jpg

Historically,%20Andy%20Pettitte%20pitches%20well%20in%20the%20post-season.jpg

800px-Andy_Pettitte_-_Stretch.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

My feelings about the Yankees in general right now are no secret, but I always liked Pettite, and still do. Great player, class act, and oh by the way, am I alone in thinking that when he was a much younger player he would have looked great, definitive even, in one of those 1920s-era photographs?

I suppose there's an outside chance that Pettitte could return in mid-season ala Roger Clemens, but I rather doubt it. He strikes me as the kind of guy who once he makes up his mind, he sticks with it. Agree that he's a class act. Lots of players could pattern their behavior on and off the field after Pettitte and be the better for it. It'll be awhile before I forget that stare, when you could barely see his eyes between the bill of his cap and the top of his glove. If I ever saw one, that was a look that meant business. You can't say more about any athlete than when the big games rolled around and all the chips were on the table, he was at his best. That was Andy Pettitte.

As to what this does to the Yankees rapidly fading chances, I guess we've at least hit the bottom of the barrel. It's comforting in its own way to know that there's really no place to go from here but up.