2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

This one's for you, Matthew:

Ozzie Smith 1978

I was there for that play. Amazing, the first curtain call in San Diego history. Saw Dave Weinfield's first home run also, (Weinfield loved showing off his arm during fielding practice); saw Randy Jones pitch a 91 minute game against the Phillies (Pete Rose was so frustrated with Jones, he batted left handed against him for awhile -- now that's pure trivia!); saw him blow out his arm also; saw Pete Rose flip off the crowd giving him a bad time (the year after the Bud Harrellson fight). And yes, it was baseball played on natural grass. I wasted my youth watching Padre games, but I guess there were worse ways for a teenager to spend his free time.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this came up in a baseball thread within the past year or two, but since we're on the topic of Winfield and the Padres--the classic Jerry Coleman call:

"Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres."

There's nothing in baseball that rises to the level of a great defensive play. Easily my favorite part of the game. I'm addicted to ESPN's Webgem segments during the regular season. Thanks for sharing those videos, David. The Jeter clip brings back some great memories, although I've never been completely convinced that Giambi was out on the play. That sequence and the one where Jeter goes into the stands behind third base to flag down a foul ball are two of his very best. Another shortstop who doesn't get his defensive due is Garry Templeton. Man, that guy made some plays. I'd post a video, but MLB keeps such a tight rein on their brand that there aren't any available.

Thought the passing of Duke Snider should not go without comment. Even though he killed the Yankees in the four World Series New York and Brooklyn played during the '50's (.323 BA; 10 HR; 29 RBI's) I always had a grudging respect for the way he played the game. Here's a pretty good remembrance from Michael Farber, one of S.I.'s baseball writers. Read it all the way to the end. You'll be glad you did.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_farber/02/27/duke.snider/index.html?eref=sihp

Or paying someone close to minimum wage to dust for them. A place like that, unless the staff is big enough, you have domestic staff cleaning different segments every day and rotating to keep it clean on a weekly basis.

But you realize, looking at that place, why Jeter was so pissed at their contract offer. He builds his dream house and all of a sudden his take-home pay takes a huge hit. WTF? Why didn't the bosses tell them they planned to do that? He might have built a smaller home if he knew ...

Or paying someone close to minimum wage to dust for them. A place like that, unless the staff is big enough, you have domestic staff cleaning different segments every day and rotating to keep it clean on a weekly basis.

Oh I know he won't really have to do the cleaning himself. But sheeesh, unless he's converting to an illegal sect of Mormonism I don't get all the square footage. Perhaps there'll be another bubble in the next 10 years and he can unload it. Hmm, I wonder if he got his design idea from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, as the "backyard" looks like where the final confrontation occurs. That'd be a great research project, seeing how many athletes base their mansions on video game architecture. :lol:

Edited by Quincy

Wainwright done for season.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6154112

You know who I really feel sorry for now? Lance Berkman.

Poor guy.

You mean the same Lance Berkman that trashed the Rangers a few weeks ago??? ;^)

Well, he was right when he said this....

He also questioned the contract the club gave free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.

Financial news on Mets ownership is getting worse: no more loans from MLB. Unless they find somebody who will buy a minority share quickly, they may run out of cash and MLB may have to take it over. I can't see somebody buying a minority share unless it's coupled with an option to buy the remainder.

The Jeter mansion in Tampa, Florida. 30,000+ sq. ft.

yJETER-articleLarge.jpg

For the life of me I don't know why you need a house that big but I guess if you have it, why not. I would prefer to have a house along the beach but that's just me :)

Doris From Rego Park

I don't know how many of you listen to sports radio but WFAN is the grand-daddy of sports radio, or at least one of the first, started back in 1987.

There would be many a night in the early days when I couldn't sleep and listen to the station at night. Well, one of the constant callers was Doris Bauer, known to listeners of WFAN, whether you rooted for the Mets or the Yankees, as Doris From Rego Park. She would call very late and due to a medical condition would caught a lot. That is what, in fact, made her distinctive. Doris died in 2003 but just in time for spring training a fan has written a song about her and there is an article about his paean to her in today's New York Times. The article includes the song.

Great little article and brought a tear to my eye. This may not mean much to many of you who don't live in the New York or listen to WFAN but to those who do, it will bring back memories of Doris.

Doris From Rego Park

I don't know how many of you listen to sports radio but WFAN is the grand-daddy of sports radio, or at least one of the first, started back in 1987.

There would be many a night in the early days when I couldn't sleep and listen to the station at night. Well, one of the constant callers was Doris Bauer, known to listeners of WFAN, whether you rooted for the Mets or the Yankees, as Doris From Rego Park. She would call very late and due to a medical condition would caught a lot. That is what, in fact, made her distinctive. Doris died in 2003 but just in time for spring training a fan has written a song about her and there is an article about his paean to her in today's New York Times. The article includes the song.

Great little article and brought a tear to my eye. This may not mean much to many of you who don't live in the New York or listen to WFAN but to those who do, it will bring back memories of Doris.

Thanks for that, Brad. I don't recall listening to her in the wee hours, but heard her call Mike and Dog a few times back in the day.