2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

I am listening to Walter Johnson do play by play for a Senators game in 1939 with the Cleveland Indians! Amazing! It's part of a radio station premium for their fundraising. They have cds of an entire day of broadcasting. Game picks up in 4th inning. Ran from 4:00 -5:15 on the last day of the season.

http://www.archive.org/download/CompleteBroadcastDay/WJSV_390921-COMPLETE_BROADCAST_DAY_PART_11.MP3

From Internet Archive

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh joy. For Yankee fans, the hits just keep on coming (unless you're A-Rod). Sources tell ESPN that a noticeably slimmer C.C. Sabbathia has become more circumspect when asked about the possibility of opting out of his contract after the 2011 season. Up until now, he's pooh-poohed the possibility. My Lordy me. I fear that powers higher than myself have decided to punish my boys for all the success they've had over the years.

Oh joy. For Yankee fans, the hits just keep on coming (unless you're A-Rod). Sources tell ESPN that a noticeably slimmer C.C. Sabbathia has become more circumspect when asked about the possibility of opting out of his contract after the 2011 season. Up until now, he's pooh-poohed the possibility. My Lordy me. I fear that powers higher than myself have decided to punish my boys for all the success they've had over the years.

That would be more cosmic justice than the gods have ever ordered.

True cosmic justice would be for CC to stay, and become an average pitcher, thus the Yankee's are paying him and ARod for being mediocre players in their declining years -- Karma strikes again!

The whole Pujols situation strikes me as strange, not negotiating because spring training is starting? because that will be a distraction? All the Cardinals have to do is look at the ARod situation, a once great player becomes average, but is still payed mega-money. Pujols is not that far ahead of other first-basemen.

The whole Pujols situation strikes me as strange, not negotiating because spring training is starting? because that will be a distraction? All the Cardinals have to do is look at the ARod situation, a once great player becomes average, but is still payed mega-money. Pujols is not that far ahead of other first-basemen.

Well, ok, but if he goes, who takes his place, and how many more years does he remain above-average (or better) in somebody else's uniform instead of yours?

Besides, Pujols has been a gentleman of sorts, and to have him gradually become the dignified veteran/elder statesman/franchise icon holds a vlau to a team and to the game as a whole that transcends money vs stats.

Now see, A-Rod don't get that consideration because A-Rod has not been the class act that Pujols has. More than that I will not say.

Well, ok, but if he goes, who takes his place, and how many more years does he remain above-average (or better) in somebody else's uniform instead of yours?

Besides, Pujols has been a gentleman of sorts, and to have him gradually become the dignified veteran/elder statesman/franchise icon holds a vlau to a team and to the game as a whole that transcends money vs stats.

Now see, A-Rod don't get that consideration because A-Rod has not been the class act that Pujols has. More than that I will not say.

I'd say: If the price is too high, just have him play out the year in St. Louis, then use about 15 million to sign two/one player that can help the team, and just be a little below Pujols production. I'd like to see him be the elder statesmen of the Cards, but I also have ask: Is it worth $20,000,000 to have an elder statesmen around? As to ARod: He gets ZERO slack from me. :beee:

I think that Pujols needs the Cardinals more than the Cardinals need him. As Matthew says, the Cardinals can replace him with a very good player for less money/years. What other team will sign him for the money and years he wants? Maybe The Yanks if they didn't already have a first baseman. Then again, perhaps there's a team foolish enough to take the bait.

Posnanski's take on Pujols. As often the case it's too long but it is shocking how many more players are paid more than Pujols. And look at how he measures up against the all-time greats.

While salaries nowadays can be outrageous in terms of length & amount, this guy is like Ted Fucking Williams, and Ted Fucking Williams continued to contribute well into old age. A plus on Albert's side is if you've ever seen his pregame routine you know he a flexible guy (I wonder how many yards he could punt a football). I think I'd take my chances & sign the guy. Though I've set myself up for "how many rings did Ted Fucking Williams get?"

I'd like to see him be the elder statesmen of the Cards, but I also have ask: Is it worth $20,000,000 to have an elder statesmen around?

I don't know, what's the going rate for single-franchise-for-an-entire-career-with-the-same-team-surefire-Hall-of-Famer-who's-still-got-plenty-of-good-to-great-years-left?

St. Louis is a true baseball town, and to look at "worth" strictly in terms of age/salary/stats misses some "character of the town, character of the team, character of the game" points that it might be in everybody's best interest to not overlook.

Though I've set myself up for "how many rings did Ted Fucking Williams get?"

Then again, how many player with rings, lots of rings, even, are even half as remembered/beloved/dietized as Ted Williams?

And - would the Red Sox Nation still have the same "mystique" if Williams had left the team in, say, 1952? or even 1955?

No, it's a good thing to have a legend stay a legend with one team. Legends tend to last forever. The long-term payoffs are there...

I think that Pujols needs the Cardinals more than the Cardinals need him. As Matthew says, the Cardinals can replace him with a very good player for less money/years. What other team will sign him for the money and years he wants? Maybe The Yanks if they didn't already have a first baseman. Then again, perhaps there's a team foolish enough to take the bait.

I think Pujols would look great in Giants uniform. ^_^

I think Eric/Quincy has it right. Pujols is historically great, with a ten year career season average line that has been equalled by like 9 players in history, and each of them Hall of Famers and each only did it in a single season - Pujols has averaged those outstanding stats for ten years!

I've also read that no one should count out the Yankees and Red Sox if he gets to free agency. And it does make sense, as infuriating as it would be to the small market teams. The Sox have one more year of Big Papi and then a gap at DH. The Yankees have Posada as their main DH for one final season. Maybe Pujols has a problem with being DH but when the money comes calling, that can change. And I think it is likely that the Yankees and Red Sox would get in to the bidding on such an historically great player.

Hell, playing half his games in Boston, a guy like Pujols could go into his decline years and still put up significant numbers.

Interesting "what if" scenario.

***WARNING***MARINER FANS***SPOILER ALERT***

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2014230192_revisionist_pondering_imagine.html?syndication=rss

So the Mariners get him, try to make him a starter and he blows his arm out. Rather than being the fit & elegant man he is instead he's a fat bitter alcoholic in Panama for the past 12 some odd years. Glad the Yankees kept him. :)

Back to reality (sort of) I'm foolishly hoping that Bedard (remember him?) might be healthy enough to make a difference this year. I know, I know, nothing like the optimism of spring, misplaced as it may be. And speaking of O's, even though the staff looks shaky I do wonder if Baltimore will be competitive this year. It'll require Adam Jones and some others to finally play to up to their potential, but every year has a surprise team, and Baltimore being good would indeed be a surprise.

Looks like Joba Chamberlain has located the pounds shed by teammate C.C. Sabbathia and found something unproductive to do with them, i.e. adding them to his own, already hefty frame. Brian Cashman says Chamberlain is obviously heavier and that the Yankees will deal with this "privately". Joba isn't talking at all except to say he "feels great". Between him, C.C. and Bartolo Colon, it brings a whole new meaning to the idea of having a well-rounded pitching staff.

What Eric and Dan said about Pujols....he is arguably the most feared hitter in the game today(I say arguably, but I really don't know who who would make a pitcher piss in his pants more than seeing him in the game with runners on) A-Rod has certainly improved his clutchness, but you can still get him out. Before Bonds found magic juice, the braves gently put him down without so much as a whimper during his Pirate and early giants days. Braves pitchers had no trouble with McGuire even when he was hitting 60+ a year. I don't think Sosa beat up on braves pitchers either... Pujols is just flat out scary. Even when your team get him out, it's almost always a line drive, not swinging at a pitch 2 feet outside, or shoulder level.

Not that I think the Cards should pay him 30 mil for 10 years though...what is wrong with say, 30 mil for 7 years, then going on a mutual year by year deal????

Looks like Joba Chamberlain has located the pounds shed by teammate C.C. Sabbathia and found something unproductive to do with them, i.e. adding them to his own, already hefty frame. Brian Cashman says Chamberlain is obviously heavier and that the Yankees will deal with this "privately". Joba isn't talking at all except to say he "feels great". Between him, C.C. and Bartolo Colon, it brings a whole new meaning to the idea of having a well-rounded pitching staff.

How is it that the initial story was "Joba bought a home gym, its all muscle" and now its to be dealt with "privately"? Did he finally take his uniform off in the clubhouse and the writers realised he hadn't added any muscle and it was all fat?

[ Did he finally take his uniform off in the clubhouse and the writers realised he hadn't added any muscle and it was all fat?

If he did, I'm just glad I wasn't there. Nothing says "put me in coach, I'm ready to play" like showing up overweight and out of shape. You'd think someone whose spot on the team is by no means assured would put a bit more thought into his off-season training regimen.

Not that I think the Cards should pay him 30 mil for 10 years though...what is wrong with say, 30 mil for 7 years, then going on a mutual year by year deal????

Supposedly there's some ego involved as some say he wants a bigger total amount contract than ARod got. If I was on the other side of the table rather than just blurting out "But Hicks was a fool!" I'd point out that some of that money was deferred and mention give a lesson about "present value of a dollar." But more to the point, I'd politely point out that thanks to bankruptcy about $25 million of ARod's money is at risk. :g

Now I think I'll go revisit the video of that HR off of Lidge in Game 6 of the LCS from '05. :eye:

http://seattletimes....syndication=rss

So the Mariners get him, try to make him a starter and he blows his arm out. Rather than being the fit & elegant man he is instead he's a fat bitter alcoholic in Panama for the past 12 some odd years. Glad the Yankees kept him. :)

Back to reality (sort of) I'm foolishly hoping that Bedard (remember him?) might be healthy enough to make a difference this year. I know, I know, nothing like the optimism of spring, misplaced as it may be. And speaking of O's, even though the staff looks shaky I do wonder if Baltimore will be competitive this year. It'll require Adam Jones and some others to finally play to up to their potential, but every year has a surprise team, and Baltimore being good would indeed be a surprise.

OH MY GOSH! Bedard? Well it is spring training, and it would be great in he come around and pitched something this year. I read where the Mariner's are bringing Griffey back, as an adviser. A guy walks out on the team, with no thanks, no advance warning, no nothing, and he's brought back? For what, to show the younger guys how to work a fax machine? Sometime I don't understand baseball management at all...

OH MY GOSH! Bedard? Well it is spring training, and it would be great in he come around and pitched something this year. I read where the Mariner's are bringing Griffey back, as an adviser. A guy walks out on the team, with no thanks, no advance warning, no nothing, and he's brought back? For what, to show the younger guys how to work a fax machine? Sometime I don't understand baseball management at all...

People do change, Matthew.

People do change, Matthew.

I agree with that Goody, but "The Kid" has a very long history of treating the Mariner's like crap. Plus, Griffey won't have Dave Niehaus (RIP :( ) running interference for him any more either.

What Eric and Dan said about Pujols....he is arguably the most feared hitter in the game today(I say arguably, but I really don't know who who would make a pitcher piss in his pants more than seeing him in the game with runners on) A-Rod has certainly improved his clutchness, but you can still get him out. Before Bonds found magic juice, the braves gently put him down without so much as a whimper during his Pirate and early giants days. Braves pitchers had no trouble with McGuire even when he was hitting 60+ a year. I don't think Sosa beat up on braves pitchers either... Pujols is just flat out scary. Even when your team get him out, it's almost always a line drive, not swinging at a pitch 2 feet outside, or shoulder level.

The Phillies staff seems to have figured him out. For the past 3 seasons he's gone 15 for 72 for a .208 avg. with 2 homers and 8 RBI. That said the Cardinals were DUMB for not locking him up years ago. I'd trade our first baseman for him in a heartbeat.

That said the Cardinals were DUMB for not locking him up years ago. I'd trade our first baseman for him in a heartbeat.

And Howard is from St. Louis. Way to start those rumors all over again. ;)

I think Pujols will quickly discover that just by ending negotiations the distraction will not end. There should be some fun Photoshops of him in a Yankee or Red Sox uniform as the season goes on. Who knows, with basketball & football facing lockouts maybe Pujols can be as big (and almost as annoying) as the "where will LeBron go" this summer.