Ronnie Ross

couw

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sophisiticated software one sees in the movies where a filter runs through a picture making it clearer at each stage is apparently not around here then? Been watching too many i guess.  :(

:g

I tried to get the bigger file from the site, but it turned out a dead link. There is only so much magic one can apply to bad graphics.

Yes, I tried that too. Gave a message in German (?) which even I could understand. Thanks for trying.

I incorrectly stated that I had a full house of pics for 1957 but I can now say it again, truthfully. Another cover has come up on eBay, the picture has already been inserted into the Ronnie Ross Jazz Discography and what is more my list of those I'm still looking for has now dropped below twenty! A landmark!

This one is just an EP but even so starts at $25. Quite a rarity I should think.

has just sold on eBay for $773.00 - "Don Rendell Presents the Jazz Six" from 1957. Gone to Taiwan.

That place gets sillier by the day ! ;):wacko:

At least the picture was free though.

eBay or Taiwan? :g Most of the bidders were in Japan but they were pipped at the post in the very last few seconds. Quite exciting to watch, even as a non participant.

• 2 weeks later...

Busy day today. This one does not reduce my list because I did not know the album even existed until it came up on eBay the other day. I now have it and so have been able to scan the cover. Ronnie Ross only participates as a non-soloing sideman but can be heard occasionally. Plenty of jazz played on this album, some novelty vocal numbers and a quite Peggy Lee-like version of "Why Don't You Do Right (and get me some money now!)" by Marian Montgomery. There is a baritone (or what sounds very like a baritone) solo on the last track but I'm pretty sure it is the other baritone player, George Hunter, unfortunately.

I am as yet unable to explain why both this album and the one at 75/2 entitled "The Greatest Swing Band In The World" (no ...Is) have the same number. They were made at the same place and at the same time but the material is different. I will try to sort this out when my friend in California comes back from his Hawaian holiday - vacation, I mean. He has the other album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Egad! Well done, Holmes! Zounds! The picture I had for the album was really of the compilation which included "Watts Cookin'" (for which I have a picture) so I have cut the hot pants (see below) and substituted the more demure image you have supplied.

Making progress - keep up the good work, folks.

Inspector Lestrade (?) Moriarty (?)

• 2 weeks later...

I think so, yes. The previous one has a rougher texture in the detail, around Don's horn and the mike particularly, although it does seem to have better clarity of the text at the bottom. The smoother picture swings it I reckon. I make them all just 200 X 200 on the website (or try to - some seem to have minds of there own as to the size they want to be) so not too much can be seen there anyway.