Jimi Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy

LONDON (AP) — Miles and Jimi. Jimi and Miles. Fans of the late trumpet and guitar masters have long known that Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix had been making plans to record together in the year before Hendrix's sudden death in 1970.

But less attention has been paid to the bass player they were trying to recruit: Paul McCartney, who was busy with another band at the time.

This tantalizing detail about the super group that never was — jazz standout Tony Williams would have been on drums — is contained in an oft-overlooked telegram that Hendrix sent to McCartney at The Beatles' Apple Records in London on Oct. 21, 1969.

"We are recording and LP together this weekend in NewYork," it says, complete with typographical errors. "How about coming in to play bass stop call Alvan Douglas 212-5812212. Peace Jimi Hendrix Miles Davis Tony Williams."

More here:

Yahoo News

What doesn't fit here? I can hardly imagine Miles/hendrix/Williams with Paul McCartney?????!!! on bass? WTF?

Yes. Three masters of improvisation and Macca. Brilliant song-form bassist though he was. Then again, I really love the instrumentals on the 1970 McCartney album, the one he plays all the instruments on. So you never know?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Jimi should have called Klaus Voorman instead.

People have mixed feelings about Klaus Voorman. But I really like the Walls And Bridges album that Klaus plays some very groovy bass on. For someone not associated with Black music grooves especially. I remember re-visiting this album recently, and unconsciously thinking it must have been a more vaunted 1970's session player - but it's the elfin-hippie Klaus :D

I think the McCartney connection with Hendrix might be that Paulie was right there as a friend/Hendrix booster when Jimi first got to London.