Charles Mingus at Birdland

brownie

Looks like this will be rip/needle drop from another pirate? 4LP set (BAT 5/8) called "The Complete Birdland Sessions" plus extra titles hopefully - it was supposed to have been released as a 200 ltd edn set (Lord Discography)

Edited by romualdo

On the other hand, she's not been doing much to spread Mingus' own music in the past years... a release in 1997, the Cornell set, the UCLA... , still not easy to find the Monterey 1965, still no sign of "My Favorite Quintet" or any more official 1964 sets. I guess she wasn't involved in the two 2CD sets released/reissued by Universal France (the 1970 band with Bobby Jones and the 1964 Great Paris Concert).

Of course what she does with the Mingus Big Band is great, but I'd really wish she'd have made use of the CD boom from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and put out some Mingus releases. Nowadays, I guess it's too late anyway...

I was joking. . . she's done practically nothing. But she's probably doing what she can and wants to, which is her elder stateswoman right.

It would be great if she would delegate and oversee work on getting more Mingus out there officially, but she may not want to waste waning energy on something the pirates aren't going to stop doing anyway.

Yes indeed!

At least the Newport and Ronnie Scott's stuff is around in very good quality!

And of course there are good quality Adams/Pullen boots around... not my favorite era of Mingus though. I guess many of you witnessed that band live, but I'm too young for that. Might have another stance if this were different.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see the release of the entire concert of 'at Carnegie Hall'. I was at the gig and Mingus did a set with his band before the jams that was smokin' hot. I can only hope...

A shame Atlantic didn't do that back during the CD era.

This performance isn't even bootlegged. I bet the tapes are lost.