Apple, the computer, not the label.

Whatever one can think about Steve Jobs, the high prices, etc.

It's the incarnation of the user friendly concept.

When I bought the new iMac, the migration from my old Apple laptop was smooth and fast and I didn't lost a single file, nor a configuration. Yesterday I bought an external back up disk and again everything was easy and superfast with firewire 800.

Now that's a useful machine: real plug and play. I don't spend a minute on the set up, configuring it, all my time on Apple computers is working time. If you consider that time is money, at the end Apple is cheaper then other systems IMHO.

And I didn't get a single virus or intrusion from internet in 15 years!!

Edited by porcy62

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a Mac since they were introduced, 26 years ago, and Apple ][s and ///s before that. I agree with porcy62 that they are, in the end, less expensive. As a matter of fact, there was a time when businesses saved money on training by switching to the intuitive Mac platform.I, too, have never had a virus and I am happy to say that the money I spent on Apple Care has been a waste! These are very reliable machines.

Snow Leopard is great, but next year's introduction of Lion promises to be another giant leap. It was Steve Jobs who had the foresight to eliminate floppy disk drives (which he also introduced) and he was severely criticized for it, but it turned out to be an insightful decision. The new, super trim MacBook Air, introduced yesterday, is another innovative design that the PC'ers will soon try to copy.

MacbookAir.jpg

Shouldn't this be in the religion forum? ;)

Ha ha - count me a convert, if not a zealot. Yet.

I have the most bog standard entry level Apple laptop. Yet when it came time to start a blog, I was relieved to find that between Apple and wordpress.com, it was unnecessary to upgrade. I'm doing fine with that as is.

I like the ease of use and security aspects.

High prices? Depends on your perspective, I guess.

The price is affordable for the product you get.

I'm running a 4 year old iMac, even though the specs are quite far behind the current generation...it still has more than enough punch to run Snow Leopard & Windows 7 (using bootcamp). It has run flawlessly and I never have to fix anything.

I would never switch back to PC, since getting a Mac I only need to worry about using it...not constantly having to do clean up duty to maintain it.

Unless you have a business application that requires PC software, I don't know why anyone wouldn't by a Mac, which is so carefree.

I've had mine for eight years and not a single problem. With a PC, I probably would have to scrap at least one machine in that time because of problems.

No viruses, no constant shutdowns and a fast operating system.

Every once in a while I read story about how Mac are really only free of hacking and viruses because hackers don't write attacking programs for them. It's the Mac OS itself, and they way it's structured to work, that keeps it safe. Maybe Chris or someone else can expand on the reasons better than I.

Switched to a MacBook at home a few years ago and would not go back to PC.

Use a PC at work, because I guess they're easier for the IT guys and gals to wire up to networks or something, but the thing is a beast. Slow, crashes or locks up with some regularity.

My dad has a couple of Windows laptops at home and he is always having some Geek Squad guy come by to clean the things up and get them to run more smoothly. One's kind of old, but the other is only a couple of years old.

I've had this MacBook for about 5 years and have never had any issues with it, other than needing to replace the battery about a year ago.

Apple. :tup

If it is so good, why are so many users having problems, and switching to the Mac platform?

Unfortunately, I am forced to use Windows on my Mac, because the St. Croix Historical Association, for whom I do daily work, only uses PCs and have a problem with Mac databases. Well, Windows runs as smoothly on my Mac (with help of Parallel software) as it would on a PC, but it is very clunky, requires too many steps, and attracts viruses if one goes online with it. I never use Windows for the internet.

Some people have not switched to Mac for fear that their investment in PC software may thus be a waste. That, however, is not a problem.

Do yourself a favor, think hard about moving up to Mac. :)

It's the smugness that kills me. As if all Mac users somehow had any part in putting their machines together.

As well as the chorus that says there is no conceivable way that anyone could write a virus for Macs -- they're just that awesome. Bullcrap. If it was worth the investment, some hacker could do it. Is it harder than for a Windows machine, sure. But impossible? No.

smug2.JPG

It's the smugness that kills me. As if all Mac users somehow had any part in putting their machines together.

Yeah, I've heard that criticism before, and always from frustrated PC owners. I'm proud that I made the decision to switch to a better, more reliable product. Nothing more, nothing less.

As well as the chorus that says there is no conceivable way that anyone could write a virus for Macs -- they're just that awesome. Bullcrap. If it was worth the investment, some hacker could do it. Is it harder than for a Windows machine, sure. But impossible? No.

Again, all I hear in over-the-top complaints like these is frustration and jealousy. When and if the time comes that Macs are as vulnerable to malware as PCs, it will be interesting to see if Apple addresses the problem better than Microsoft has over the years.

Until then, I'm very happy with the Apple products I use. If/when the time comes, I'll probably still be better off with a Mac.

Still don't understand this stance. This perception of smugness often comes from people

who don't seem to perceive the idea of pride of ownership - to be so grateful for having

something that you can regularly depend on. It's like buying a car that you can count on every day.

Other folks might enjoy buying a less reliable car and don't mind "tinkering under the hood", so to speak.

I can understand both positions, but being angry with someone who, when seeing/hearing other people

who go on about their PC problems, will offer advice - to share a story of successful use

or mention a way to get around a particular difficulty - is pretty unreasonable.

This myth of all Mac users saying that viruses will never happen is just that: a myth.

Most Mac users understand that it would be foolish to be caught off-guard on this subject

and MacWorld and Mac|Life are just two magazines that tell us how to be on guard if such a thing occurs.

Mac users, who frequently hear from PC owners about their computer problems -

viruses, crashes, software compatibility and OS problems, etc - are either unable to help these folks directly with advice

(because they almost never have these problems) or they choose to help indirectly by suggesting an alternative.

When asked, (or when I see questions here), I can't make any helpful technical suggestions

because the architecture of the Mac is so geared toward resisting these problems.

Often, during a lunchtime/work break casual conversation, the person who's brought up their particular problems are amazed that I can't relate:

"I know lots of people who are tired of [this] happening..." "This" being crashes, viruses, annoying blinking things on the desktop,

and a whole bunch of other irritations. I just say that I've never had those problems.

...and this would be after owning a G4 for 8 years (2001-09) with consistent upgrades.

The 23" Apple monitor that I'm looking at right now is from 2001 and it doesn't have any dead pixels - none.

With this experience, I know that Macs are clearly cheaper than PCs.

Your Lamborghini Murciélago might be a fun, sporty, good-looking car,

but if you start complaining about your crappy gas mileage and how much money you have to put into it,

I will either look at you with nothing to say or suggest that you get a Prius if you're honestly fed up with your car's gas guzzling.

It seems to be the decent thing to do.

Edited by rostasi

This myth of all Mac users saying that viruses will never happen is just that: a myth.

What do you mean it's a myth? That there aren't many bloggers who say viruses will never happen to Mac users? Just upthread we have one. Any Mac vs. PC thread will inevitably have a fair number of people chiming in saying Macs are virus-prone. That is not to say ALL Mac users think that way, but enough for a chorus. ;)

I liked Mac well enough when I was a student. I don't like my current PC. I run fairly elaborate transportation and statistical modeling software that only functions on Windows (and I have to take work home unfortunately), so I will stick with a PC. I probably could run a Windows-analog on a Mac, but don't think it worth the level of effort to buy a Mac and then get it to run Windows.

My experience is that most adult Mac users are awfully smug about being part of the Mac family.

What do you mean it's a myth? That there aren't many bloggers who say viruses will never happen to Mac users? Just upthread we have one. Any Mac vs. PC thread will inevitably have a fair number of people chiming in saying Macs are virus-prone. That is not to say ALL Mac users think that way, but enough for a chorus. ;)

Hence, it is a myth that all Mac users say that viruses will never happen.

Also, I can't find the statement that you're alluding to where someone here said that viruses will never happen to Mac users?

Hence, it is a myth that all Mac users say that viruses will never happen.

Also, I can't find the statement that you're alluding to where someone here said that viruses will never happen to Mac users?

I didn't say ALL Mac users think Macs are virus free. I said there would be a chorus.

Marcello was passing along some observations:

Every once in a while I read story about how Mac are really only free of hacking and viruses because hackers don't write attacking programs for them. {But} It's the Mac OS itself, and they way it's structured to work, that keeps it safe.

I have no problem admitting Macs are relatively safer and more reliable than PCs. But they are not quite all that their most fervent admirers make them out to be.

My experience is that most adult Mac users are awfully smug about being part of the Mac family.

I'm not into computers. I don't even have a mobile phone. Despite my jest about being a convert, I don't consider myself a part of the Apple family.

But I DO like the fact that, as it stands and granting the situation may change, I can get on with what I want to do without fucking with computers. It's that simple.

I recently switched to a Mac. I like it quite a bit, but do have one major complaint. There are quite a lot of programs and applications that are not compatible with the Apple operating system. I have even loaded Windows into my Mac for that reason, but switching back and forth is a pain.

I've always been a PC guy - seems like they are less expensive. Had to dump my first PC after about 3 years as it was running horribly slow with all sorts of errors. The one I'm currently on is starting the slippery slide. Sometimes it takes 45 minutes to boot up and access the internet, other times it is okay. I'm just getting sick of it.

I considered a Mac last time I needed a computer, but the price was just too high. This time around, I'm willing to take the plunge - but am concerned about my ability to same all my photos, documents and ipod stuff to the new computer. I'm not a computer geek - so is there an easy way to transfer this information to my new computer?

I've always been a PC guy - seems like they are less expensive. Had to dump my first PC after about 3 years as it was running horribly slow with all sorts of errors. The one I'm currently on is starting the slippery slide. Sometimes it takes 45 minutes to boot up and access the internet, other times it is okay. I'm just getting sick of it.

I considered a Mac last time I needed a computer, but the price was just too high. This time around, I'm willing to take the plunge - but am concerned about my ability to same all my photos, documents and ipod stuff to the new computer. I'm not a computer geek - so is there an easy way to transfer this information to my new computer?

Check out the Apple site. They have a tutorial about moving stuff from a PC. It is worth buying Office for Mac to deal with some documents. I went through this a couple of years ago and have no regrets.