Ever Wonder How Hank Sounded At One of His Final Known Gigs?

Dan Gould

Let´s face it. This is Hank Mobley at the very end of his life and he´s got my deepest respect for trying to make music. Maybe the surroundings where not good, maybe its a cheap saxophone "I remember he once stated he´s looking for a decent saxophone" and "that the doctor warned him if he´d play he might blow one of his lungs out".

I don´t think it´s hip to compare the late work of a very sick artist with his early achivements just repeating how good he was on his early recordings. Same thing with Bud. I wrote that on the topic "Up´s ´n Downs, Bud´s last recording. Again I had the impression many people didn´t even hear it and just keep mentioning his earlier recordings.

Anyway, what else should he have done than playing. I don´t think Hank could have made a living as a happy elder statesman just counting his roaylities. Maybe he had to play just to cover hospital expenses.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Hank had to play to because he was caught in the grips of addiction for what was probably a very long time. I think the last thing he was doing with the money is paying hospital bills - this would be too much to ask for someone who probably was looking of a few bucks to get straight.

There wasn't much help for addicts in the 50's through the 70's for guys like him. For me I know quite a few survivors (not jazz musicians - but guys from the streets of NY & New Jersey from the 60's & 70's) and I will see a few of them @ 10:00 A.M. this morning - I know one guy who knew Jackie McLean and a few others.

A sad ending to fine legacy - that as many escaped from it or got help is the real story for me.

I believe that a former member of another bbs used to see Hank on the stress and it inspired him to find out and fall in love with this music.

RIP, Hank and Sonny and Art and the rest of the fallen heroes

the love I have for these guys is more special because of what has happened to me - I fell in love with all of them when my addiction took off and the love I have for them is increased tenfold since I was able to surrender and find a new way of life almost 6 years ago.

peace and blessings

Lost Life, RIP

when at the end of the road....

[

i was not aware of this. you mean the bearned coleman hawkins era? he wasnt sounding too good?

"bearned"? Do you mean "bearded"? In any case, the reference is to his final two performances, in Chicago on a WTTW TV show on April 19, 1969, and at the North Park Hotel the following afternoon, this after he had collapsed at the airport upon his arrival on April 18, suffering from severe malnutrition, and had briefly been hospitalized. He died on May 19.

With a bit of Sunday research and digging out of old copies of Jazz Journal a few snippets about Hank and the NorthSea Fest have come to light.

He was due to appear in 1978 as part of an all-star sax feature with Illinois Jacquet, Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Archie Shepp, Stan Getz, David Newman and youg wippersnapper David Murray but apparently didn't make it. Extract of festival report below - sounds like a shambles:

HankMobleyNorthSea0002.jpg

The very late planned appearance I was thinking of was planned for 1986, even later than I thought, and it looks as if Hank was listed almost as an afterthought with Rein de Graaff's group with Dave Pike as part of a Charlie Parker tribute (see bottom left 'Bird Winners 1986'). You almost need a magnifying glass to even notice that he was billed. Extremely sad, as I think Hank finally passed away in late May of that year.

HankMobleyNorthSea0001.jpg

On a more positive note, what an astonishing lineup NorthSea featured that year !

Edited by sidewinder

is the coleman TV show mentioned in existence or is it lost forever

Probably it's available in some archive, but I don't know where -- perhaps at the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers. I can, however, show you my Charlie Parker autopsy photos. I also have a Bix Beiderbecke stool sample.

I didn't think of it in those specific terms but yeah, while listening to this I was wondering what Hank got for the gig - $50 for the night? $100? Or just a share of the door, if there was a cover?

Michael Weiss could probably answer that money question. I recall seeing Michael lead a quartet that included Pepper Adams at the Angry Squire sometime in the late '80s. (Memorable night, Mel Lewis came in with a friend and asked if he could sit down with me and my wife since we were seated in a booth that could fit four).

I didn't think of it in those specific terms but yeah, while listening to this I was wondering what Hank got for the gig - $50 for the night? $100? Or just a share of the door, if there was a cover?

Michael Weiss could probably answer that money question. I recall seeing Michael lead a quartet that included Pepper Adams at the Angry Squire sometime in the late '80s. (Memorable night, Mel Lewis came in with a friend and asked if he could sit down with me and my wife since we were seated in a booth that could fit four).

It was October, 1985. Wow - a quarter century. We would have made around $100 a piece. But WHO CARES! I forgot Mel was there. But I do remember Ronnie Cuber and Gary Smulyan "crashing" the gig.

I listen to this tape of Hank with a smile and a cheer for the creative juices flowing in Hank's head. I wish more of you could do the same. As Gheorghe was saying, his situation was what it was so stop trying to compare his playing here to his earlier work when he was healthy, and just dig what DID come out of his horn.

I agree with Michael - it truly was a blessing that Hank even wanted to do a gig and he gave what he could - I was there and as stated previously had the incredible good fortune to speak with him for a few minutes and he seemed very happy to be there, was positive and upbeat. I could still very much hear Hank that evening at the Angry Squire - meaning his style. He was so unique that no matter how he was feeling physically, he still had his unique voice/sound/phrasing, etc.

Marla

I agree with Michael - it truly was a blessing that Hank even wanted to do a gig and he gave what he could - I was there and as stated previously had the incredible good fortune to speak with him for a few minutes and he seemed very happy to be there, was positive and upbeat. I could still very much hear Hank that evening at the Angry Squire - meaning his style. He was so unique that no matter how he was feeling physically, he still had his unique voice/sound/phrasing, etc.

Marla

More Angry Squire on youtube ... Mobley plays "Funny Valentine" one one; Duke Jordan plays "Billie's Bounce" trio on the other; Lodi Carr sings, too

Edited by tr2036

Thanks for adding those links, from the original youtube clip it didn't sound like there was any other recorded Hank from the gig.

I think Hank sounds better on this tune, is it possibly a function of the ballad tempo being less of a challenge to his chops? Anyway, I don't think of this as horrendously "sad" and I'm thankful that someone was at the gig and can share what survives from it.

• 5 months later...