Fuego - yes or no

scottb

It is one of my favourite Donald Byrd sessions, also because of the presence of Jackie McLean. The title track is amazing.

I have the US release from the late 80's and the sound is not very good but ok.

I agree with Claude about Jackie McLean on this one. In some ways it is almost his session. In fact I recently picked this one up myself. In the $8 range. I had been looking for it for a long time. After a number of listens, I got in the mood for some more Jackie and picked up New Soil. New Soil was recorded in May 1959 and Fuego in Oct. 1959. Byrd and Mclean are featured on both. I was thinking at the time that maybe they should have made Byrd leader on New Soil and Mclean leader on Fuego. Byrd has a solo on tract 3, Greasy, on New Soil that is just incredible. As has been previouly mentioned, Jackie plays wonderfully throughout Fuego. Many similarities on these two.

I think $20 bucks may be a little much for this one but it is a good session. If you like early Byrd I think you will like this one. It is similar to his early stuff and I have the domestic release and do not find the sound bad at all. :huh::blink:

Whatever you do you will enjoy this one whenever you get it.

I think it's a great session, especially Lex Humphries. He never gets enough attention. Anyway, I bought the JRVG for about $20 on ebay a couple of months ago and sold my domestic copy (the old silver and blue label) for only $10. So, I'd wait. On the other hand, I did the same thing with Kenny Drew's Undercurrent and the US version netted me an incredible $27 (more than I expected). All in all, I think I'd wait for now. It will come up again I'm sure.