Robert Wyatt

A Lark Ascending

of course there's always (by Wyatt himself):

"At last I am free

I can hardly see in front of me

I can hardly see in front of me"

I don't really understand how loss of immediate cognizance can set one free.

Don't think Wyatt wrote it - it's from an song by a disco era band called Chic. But Wyatt was certainly arguing its case as a moving song.

If we analyse the literacy of popular lyrics and dismiss them for platitudes or illogicality, well, we'll not be left with very much.

Here's one of my favourite Wyatt lyrics:

This is the first verse

The first verse

The first

First verse

And this is the chorus

Or perhaps is a bridge

Or just another part

Of the song that I am singing

Never mind

It doesn't hurt

And only means that I

Lost faith in this song

'Cause it won't help me reach you...

Utter nonsense read off the page. But in it's context (an album of largely, abstract, instrumental music), a really affecting expression of romantic rejection.

I think where we differ, Allen, is that you are seeking absolute truths; I'm happy with meaning altered by contexts.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Think i might need to investigate Hih with that recommendation. Vasconcelos is a name that's orbited my listening but never yet landed.

Her profile seems to have fallen of late. I saw some outstanding concerts by her, often with Ingrid Laubrock a few years back. A particularly memorable one with Brazilian singer/guitarist Guinga.

Ingrid seems to spend much of her time in the States now playing more abstract music. I suspect the lack of interest in Hih has held Monica back. A pity - it's such a good album. Available via e-music if you have an account.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I saw Laubrock recently in a trio with John Edwards and Mark Sanders. Very impressive indeed as she seems to have a considered approach to improvisation that eschews much of the speed and bluster that can be the signature of some saxophonists. Her recent CD, Paradoxical Frog, on Clean Feed, I found an interesting listen too - teamed with the equally impressive Tyshawn Sorey.

I've found Hih on Spotify which is my cheap e-music option.

Edited by mjazzg

With some other singers, I'd cringe when seeing some of these tunes

(especially "...Wonderful World"), but since I've heard Wyatt do most

of these songs already - bringing an ineffable beauty to them in other settings -

I really didn't worry about it in the end.

He, of all people, knows the sappy trails that lead to and fro

"...Wonderful World" and I'm sure that some extra thought

went into how he could make it his own. He's done it here.

I can actually listen to this song now.

Nile Rogers wrote "At Last I Am Free."

102506.jpg

Think i might need to investigate Hih with that recommendation. Vasconcelos is a name that's orbited my listening but never yet landed.

Her profile seems to have fallen of late.

Ingrid Laubrock is back on tour in the UK next month with a new band - 'Catatumbo'

I meant Monica. Ingrid seems hyper-active on the recording front of late!

Her profile seems to have fallen of late.

Ingrid Laubrock is back on tour in the UK next month with a new band - 'Catatumbo'

I meant Monica. Ingrid seems hyper-active on the recording front of late!

Woops ! Agree - must be that German work ethic. :)

Edited by sidewinder

They've played a lot of this on BBC Radio 3, maybe even half the album between Jazz Line-up and esp. Late Junction. Not a fan of male vocals in jazz, and this is worse (for me) than usual. Just as well I heard the preview, since this is an album I would have gotten rid of in a hurry. Too bad, since the tracks without vocals are quite nice, but I couldn't justify getting an album I know I'd skip so much of. Money's too tight to mention, as they say.

Wyatt is one of those voices that you either love or hate. Like Dylan, it's not a conventional 'good' voice (Ian Partridge or Smokey Robinson!).

I've always found him one of the most moving voices in my collection; coupled with a restless spirit, always prepared to think round corners, I find his records irresistible.

But I can see exactly why others would be mystified by the appeal.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

150 pages in to the bio - never realised he had such severe self-doubt (to the point of suicide attempts at an early age), even before his accident.

Weirdest fact so far...

After the Soft Machine went home at the end of the US tour with Hendrix, Wyatt stayed on in the States. He was approached to replace Stills and Young in a new Buffalo Springfield!!!! How would that work?

Had that happened, somewhere down the line we might have got Crosby, Stills, Nash and Wyatt.