remember a few months ago I was trying to remember

AllenLowe

who I thought had recorded for King? CHewy and Jim and I went back and forth because I just could not remember his name.

well....tonight I was out playing with Taylor Ho Bynum, who was in Portland for a concert - and I'm talking to his tenor player who says "my dad was a jazz pianist from New Haven." And guess what? I almost fell on the floor because his dad was the pianist I was trying to remember a few months ago - and his dad was CECIL YOUNG - who, yes, DID record for king - because I then found this on the internet:

"Pianist Cecil Young's quartet exploded onto the Seattle jazz scene in 1950, introducing the rhythmic fire of bebop to an eager new audience. His quartet's debut record was immediately successful, and Young, known for his devilish sense of humor as well as his immense musical talents, rose to great but brief regional prominence.

http://www.blackpast.org/?q=aaw/young-cecil-c-1920-c-1975

Edited by AllenLowe

Speaking of vaudeville, we should talk more about Wilbur Sweatman later... Allen, you know you're cited in the Tim Brooks book "Lost Sounds" right? Dunno about the Berresford yet but wanna check it.

ALSO-- you ever hear the Syd Nathan record sales convention disc in the King box? Can't check youtube now to see if it's up there.

Indeed, very much of the (then) Gene Ammons/Tom Archia bag, which is definitely cool, but then the shtick comes in and he goes there so easily and....enthusiastically that I wonder if maybe it was all shtick to him...we got a guy like that around here (I'm sure there's a guy like that everywhere...), learned all the hip licks and all the corny ones, learned everything, really, and puts them all together in such a way that just when you're ready to think that this guy's pretty happening, he'll veer off and make you want to vomit on his highly-shines shoes, and get some on his highly starched tux shirt just for good measure (especially if you've eaten Indian food and you know there's gonna be plenty of turmeric in there).

But he can definitely play the instrument, and he definitely is a real crowd pleaser, so...it is what it is, ya' know?

But it looks like this guy, Gerald Brashear, hung around Seattle and was an institution there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Brashear

Allen, who is Cecil Young's son?

T Ho B is a fantastic musician, indeed.

Allen is lucky to play with THB, Goodnes, do I ever love his duets with Braxton (Bynum not Allen's... though I'm sure an Allen Lowe / Anthony Braxton duet would be interesting also....).

Yeah, Bynum has a certain "something" that perhaps it's a sense of good humor and warm-heartedness I sense in his music and personal nature that may make him the greatest and most deep of all of the Anthony Braxton students (like the good humor and warm-heartedness Braxton himself shares with the world).