Who's your favourite clarinet player?

lipi

Allen:

I interviewed Buddy DeFranco, probably about 20 years ago, before one of his shows at the Regattabar in Cambridge (Massachusetts) and remember asking him if there were any great "unknown" clarinetists. One of the few that he mentioned was Schildkraut. I remember searching later, largely without success, for any recorded examples of his playing clarinet. I think I found something on one of the Jazz Studio (Ralph Burns?) Decca LPs but don't think that he soloes. Do you know of anything that he recorded on the instrument? DeFranco also mentioned a Philadelphia player (Billy Krechmer).

I saw Art Pepper slightly later, also either at Paul's Mall or at the adjacent Jazz Workshop. He only played alto.

I know I mention him too frequently, but Buddy Rich said that his favorite clarinetist after Artie Shaw was none other than Dave Schildkraut. I used to go see Dave play affairs like weddings at the Oriental, a catering house in, I think, Bensonhurst (Brooklyn). Davey used to take out the clarinet and amaze the band with glisses and all kinds of wonderfully musical technical feats.

Also - Boston, 1975 or '76. I was at Pauls Mall, a jazz club, talking with Art Pepper, when a kid comes over and says, "hey Art, do you still play the clarinet?" Pepper looks at me, smiles, takes the kid's clarinet and plays a bunch of runs - and then takes it on stage and plays an incredible blues on the instrument, very boppish but with a lot of his personal feel. Wow.

In the same vein, I remember asking (somewhat presumptuously, in retrospect) Phil Woods if he'd ever consider recording an album entirely on clarinet. His response" "I just did." It was the duo album on Philology with Irio de Paula.

Also - Boston, 1975 or '76. I was at Pauls Mall, a jazz club, talking with Art Pepper, when a kid comes over and says, "hey Art, do you still play the clarinet?" Pepper looks at me, smiles, takes the kid's clarinet and plays a bunch of runs - and then takes it on stage and plays an incredible blues on the instrument, very boppish but with a lot of his personal feel. Wow.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, first of all Benny and Artie....the standard that they set, particularly in the big band context stands on a pinnacle of its own. I can still be amazed at some of Benny's solos from the time when he was at his creative peak.

In no particular order I would then choose Bigard - with Duke and the trio sides with Morton...he seems to have got bored by the time he was with Louis; Pee Wee, Teschmacher who was so advanced technically and creatively and influential, (as late as the early 40s some of his phrases still crop up in Benny's solos), Fazola, Jimmy Noone (what a technique!), Albert Nicholas, Ed Hall, Matty Matlock, Tony Scott, and of course Bechet. (I quite enjoy Mezz on clarinet too in contrast to his dreadful saxophone playing.)

I admire Buddy de Franco's playing but have never been moved by it - the same with Eddie Daniels.

And don't forget Abe Schwartz! What a player!

Carnivore:

Abe Schwartz played violin. You must be thinking of either Dave Tarras or Naftule Brandwein, each of whom played with Schwartz at various times.

I think, first of all Benny and Artie....the standard that they set, particularly in the big band context stands on a pinnacle of its own. I can still be amazed at some of Benny's solos from the time when he was at his creative peak.

In no particular order I would then choose Bigard - with Duke and the trio sides with Morton...he seems to have got bored by the time he was with Louis; Pee Wee, Teschmacher who was so advanced technically and creatively and influential, (as late as the early 40s some of his phrases still crop up in Benny's solos), Fazola, Jimmy Noone (what a technique!), Albert Nicholas, Ed Hall, Matty Matlock, Tony Scott, and of course Bechet. (I quite enjoy Mezz on clarinet too in contrast to his dreadful saxophone playing.)

I admire Buddy de Franco's playing but have never been moved by it - the same with Eddie Daniels.

Carnivore:

A few more points:

- Mezzrow was a very limited player in most respects. His talents largely resided elsewhere. Having said that, he could play some effective blues choruses and did so in the recordings that he co-led with Bechet.

- No one has mentioned Joe Marsala who I also like a lot. He built a personal style based in part on Jimmy Noone and in part on Pee Wee Russell. His legacy continues through Bobby Gordon.

- Jimmy Dorsey (who I mentioned in the "favorite alto player" thread) also often gets overlooked on clarinet. He could do a remarkable Jimmie Noone imitation but had his own style that is recognizable on hundreds of hot dance records (and some not so hot ones as well). Many's the time I go "hey, that's Jimmy Dorsey!" on an otherwise unmemorable record.

- Buddy (DeFranco) gets short shrift (the "cold player" rap from Leonard Feather). I've seen him many times over the years and have never not been moved by him.

Carnivore:

Abe Schwartz played violin. You must be thinking of either Dave Tarras or Naftule Brandwein, each of whom played with Schwartz at various times.

Carnivore:

Mea culpa!!! Just shows you can't rely on memory....of course you're absolutely correct, it's Dave Tarras on the Abe Schwartz records I was thinking of....shouldn't have been so lazy and should have gone downstairs to check first. Thanks. (Embarrassed)

It is probably not hip to say this, but just from how I really feel after listening to many recordings, Benny Goodman is my favorite clarinet player. He has a blues feeling in his playing that really speaks to me. I know all about his difficult personality and other unpleasant aspects of his bandleading, but when I am just listening to clarinet playing on recordings, he is in fact my favorite.

I also like Ed Hall and Barney Bigard a lot,and Sidney Bechet when he plays clarinet. Russell Procope is another clarinet player I really like, more than Jimmy Hamilton.

To compound my un-hipness, Don Byron is my favorite of recent clarinet players. I know that he is one of those musicians not favored by this board, but that is just the way I feel about it. His playing is much more compelling to me than Anat Cohen's, for example. Byron has made some dull albums, I will grant you that.

I also love Dave Tarras and Naftule Brandwein. An old friend sent me a tape of their music about ten years ago.

Carnivore:

A few more points:

- Mezzrow was a very limited player in most respects. His talents largely resided elsewhere. Having said that, he could play some effective blues choruses and did so in the recordings that he co-led with Bechet.

- No one has mentioned Joe Marsala who I also like a lot. He built a personal style based in part on Jimmy Noone and in part on Pee Wee Russell. His legacy continues through Bobby Gordon.

- Jimmy Dorsey (who I mentioned in the "favorite alto player" thread) also often gets overlooked on clarinet. He could do a remarkable Jimmie Noone imitation but had his own style that is recognizable on hundreds of hot dance records (and some not so hot ones as well). Many's the time I go "hey, that's Jimmy Dorsey!" on an otherwise unmemorable record.

]

I completely agree about Jimmy Dorsey - he has not yet been, but I believe he will eventually be recognized as one of the most important reed players of his time. If one listens to his solo work with Whiteman and others in the mid and late 20s his playing is technically unmatched by anyone else and musically very advanced, melodically and harmonically. Listening to other contemporary alto players both black and white you can tell he was a big influence style-wise. Curiously his playing seems to fade into something more commonplace as his success as a bandleader built up. By the time he has the big hits like Green Eyes etc. he's totally overshadowed by his peers and his playing has almost a 'retiring' quality to it.

Just a heads up, I'll be gearing my November Blindfold test toward the clarinet, which is also my favorite jazz instrument. Here's hoping I can stump people a bit!

As far as favorites go, Benny Goodman is definitely at the top of my list, his small groups in particular. Just dazzling. I love Jimmy Giuffre and anyone influenced by his approach. Barney Bigard and George Lewis ... I won't even bother getting more specific than that. Seeing clarinet in the instrumentation is enough to get me to purchase just about anything.

Guest Bill Barton

1. Pee Wee Russell

2. Pee Wee Russell

3. Pee Wee Russell

4. Rahsaan Roland Kirk

5. Jimmy Giuffre

6. John Carter

7. Louis Sclavis

8. Gianluigi Trovesi

9. Michael Moore

10. Perry Robinson

11. William O. (Bill) Smith

12. François Houle

The greats others have mentioned rank up there too for me: Bechet, Bigard, Dodds, Prez, Hamilton and Scott in particular.

There are three Seattle-area players who will knock your socks off if you get a chance to hear them: Beth Fleenor, James DeJoie and Jesse Canterbury.

Edited by Bill Barton

Glad to be reminded of Houle, Moore, Sclavis, and Rahsaan, in particular!

Also, entrenched as I am in the Bay Area scene, I'd be a little remiss if I didn't mention local clarinet powerhouse Ben Goldberg. He has a fantastically strong tone and a real understanding of the inside/outside paradigm... and his experiments in "out" klezmer music allegedly inspired Zorn to take up the Masada concept (and probably bettered the latter on more than one occasion).

Guest Bill Barton

Glad to be reminded of Houle, Moore, Sclavis, and Rahsaan, in particular!

Also, entrenched as I am in the Bay Area scene, I'd be a little remiss if I didn't mention local clarinet powerhouse Ben Goldberg. He has a fantastically strong tone and a real understanding of the inside/outside paradigm... and his experiments in "out" klezmer music allegedly inspired Zorn to take up the Masada concept (and probably bettered the latter on more than one occasion).

Yes! A wonderful player. He sounds great on Sarah Wilson's new Trapeze Project CD (a kick-butt band on this one!)

Johnny Dodds

Pee Wee Russell

Artie Shaw

Lester Young

Sidney Bechet

Buddy DeFranco

About DeFranco being cold-mechancial, I used to feel that way in my yoot but long ago turned around. An anecdote: Last year, I think it was, DeFranco performed at the Chicago Jazz Fest. One of the pieces he played was "Memories of You." Afterwards, Muhal Richard Abrams IIRC said to someone that it was the most beautiful version of that song he'd ever heard.

Glad to see someone mention Michael Moore. He is great.

I'd like to mention Albert Nicholas. His body of work is very impressive.

Pete Fountain will always have a place in my heart.

Jimmy Hamilton should get more credit as should Barney Bigard.

Russell Procope's playing was very effective.

Buster Bailey was also very effective with John Kirby.

Peanuts Hucko did some fine work.

The Most brothers, Sam and Abe, could do most anything.

So many others...

I guess right now I don't have a favorite.

Edited by flat5

I love the sounds of Lester Young and Sidney Bechet on clarinet. It is a shame that they didn't play it more often.

Pee Wee Reese and Jimmy Hamilton are also favorites of mine on the instrument, and enjoy Benny Goodman quite a bit as well.

Of more recent performers, John Carter and Louis Sclavis are fantastic.

I love the sounds of Lester Young and Sidney Bechet on clarinet. It is a shame that they didn't play it more often.

Pee Wee Reese and Jimmy Hamilton are also favorites of mine on the instrument, and enjoy Benny Goodman quite a bit as well.

Of more recent performers, John Carter and Louis Sclavis are fantastic.

Pee Wee Reese played clarinet?!!

Dodds

Bechet

Pres

Pee Wee (Russell) :D

From some of the posts I've read, I have some listening and relistening to do. That's what I love most about this place.

You've got that right!

I've only recently been introduced to many of the clarinet players I listen to most frequently now, so saying this or that player is a 'favorite' would seem more than a little presumptuous. But, Dodds and Noone, definitely. George Lewis certainly I've been listening to a lot lately. And I love the Nicholas-Hodes' Delmark, "The New Orleans-Chicago Connection." The Louis Cottrell Living Legends series disc, "Bourbon Street," produced by Chris Albertson, also has some wonderful playing on it.

No modern players, really. I'm familiar with Sclavis. Anat Cohen is technically right on, I'm sure, but her playing left me cold, not sure why. Maybe I should give her another listen.

And I'm still waiting for my first DeFranco disc to arrive ("1949 - 1952 Studio Performances" chrono classics), but I'm looking forward to it even more now after reading some of the comments here.