Transcriptions - Broadcastings

EKE BBB

i have a bunch of acetate 78s that play from inside to out-- they are from WOR and have the WOR label glued over the acetate company label, and they are airchecks of the KING GUION orch. to this day i still have no idea who or what that is.

also have a lot of V-discs-- do those count in the transcription category

i have a bunch of acetate 78s that play from inside to out-- they are from WOR and have the WOR label glued over the acetate company label, and they are airchecks of the KING GUION orch. to this day i still have no idea who or what that is.

the only information i found about king guion is, that he was tenor and bariton saxophonist with ben pollack in 1937 and in 1943 with harry james band. it is said that the pianist dick hyman made his first recordings with king guion. i don´t know if guion played with his orchestra in the "jazz idiom".

keep boppin´

marcel

the only information i found about king guion is, that he was tenor and bariton saxophonist with ben pollack in 1937 and in 1943 with harry james band. it is said that the pianist dick hyman made his first recordings with king guion. i don´t know if guion played with his orchestra in the "jazz idiom".

keep boppin´

marcel

Lord discography also lists a recording of the Paul Whiteman Orchestra for Capitol (1942) with King Guion on board. Tracks are "I´ve found a new baby", "The general jumped at dawn" and "I´ve got a gal in Kalamazoo".

• 7 years later...

Bump - still don't have the Circle stuff ... I think - I'm still a bit confused regarding all those Ellington transcriptions though.

I have the Hindsight 3CD box (rec. 1946/47), but what about the "Uncollected" ones, those are from 1943-45, right?

What's the best way to get those? Are they included one some box-set, is there overlap with any other series (Storyville's DETS)?

I'm still a bit confused regarding all those Ellington transcriptions though.

I have the Hindsight 3CD box (rec. 1946/47), but what about the "Uncollected" ones, those are from 1943-45, right?

What's the best way to get those? Are they included one some box-set, is there overlap with any other series (Storyville's DETS)?

I have the Uncollected Ellington Hindsight LPs Vol. 1 to 5 and they were recorded between March 6, 1946 and June 9, 1947.

Am not famliar with the 3-CD box but given that they cover the same years the CD box might indeed be a reissue of the 5 LPs.

The Bruyninckx discography on CD lists only a few tracks on a Hindsight CD (HCD 410) but may not be up to date, of course. Apart from Hindsight, most of these "Uncollected" recordings had only been issued on some Swing Treasury LPs by that time.

In case the LPs and the CDs do not include the same material you might stand a good chance of finding those LPs as secondhand items here because they are among the relatively few LPs from the "Uncollected" series that were also issued as UK and German pressings on the London and Decca label, respectively.

Bump - still don't have the Circle stuff ... I think - I'm still a bit confused regarding all those Ellington transcriptions though.

The 1943-1945 Ellington transcription were for World and are avaialbe with multiple takes on the 5 Circle cds. The sound is great. There are also a couple of 2 cd packages that contain Ellington's "Standard" Transcriptions from 1941. Included is the first studio version of Take the A Train. (Has a different Ray Nance solo.) 29 cuts in all. I've never seen alternate takes of them.