French film sountrack

brownie

There was this Universal France CD 'Philippe Sarde, Bandes Originales des Films de Sylvie Verheyde'. The liner notes cover mentioned John Lewis, Milt Jackson, Ron Carter as solists. Enough to rouse interest. Nice music from Philippe Sarde for two films by Verheyde.

The first film 'Princesse' had music by the Modern Jazz Quartet (with Connie Kay), the second one 'Un Frere' had music played by Ron Carter on piccolo bass and a string ensemble.

Buried inside the CD are two bonus tracks from the sountrack of a 1985 film by Pierre Granier-Deferre 'L'Homme Aux Yeux d'Argent' (The Man with Silver Eyes).

The bonus tracks whose presence is announced only on an inside page of the booklet are 'Silver Eyes part 1' and 'Silver Eyes part 2'.

The musicians playing on the 9 minutes plus tracks are Herbie Hancock, Clark Terry, Wayne Shorter, Larry Coryell, Toots Thielemans, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Quite an all-star gathering.

The music was recorded in Paris in 1985 when most of those musicians were in town to play and record music for Bertrand Tavernier's film 'Round Midnight'.

'Silver Eyes part 1' is basically film music, part 2 gets things really going.

Check this album!

brownie, this sounds interesting, to say the least!

Do you happen to have a list of all these "Bandes originales" releases Universal France produced recently? They started the series maybe two years ago, yes? I have not picked up any of the discs, but seen them from time to time, and they include soundtracks to many great (and dearly beloved) movies.

ubu

Ubu, that Universal release is different from the 'Bandes Originales' series. I don't have a list for those and I have given up trying to get any real information from the Universal. fr site. That website is impossible as we say in La Douce France.

After buying the Philippe Sarde, I did a google search to find if the Herbie Hancock/Wayne Shorter tracks had been listed anywhere. The search proved fruitless.

Oh, forgot to mention that good old Billy Byers was credited somewhere in the liner notes as being conductor for those two bonus tracks.

I just googled and found this:

Universal Music France has released...

Cinema_Bertrand_Tavernier_Univ17178.jpg

Jazz content on those Tavernier films is non-existent.

Fans of Tavernier films should look for 'Capitaine Conan', Tavernier's best film. Set at the end of World War I in the Balkans. Great film with the amazing actor Philippe Torreton.

The music on that one was by Oswald d'Andrea.

Brownie,

Thanks for mentioning this CD. I am working on a Shorter discography, and this is the first time I have ever heard of these tracks.

I will be in Paris next month for the Shorter festival at Cite de la Musique - I will look for this CD.

Did you know that Laurent Cugny is doing a series of lectures on Wayne at the Sorbonne through La Maison du Jazz? Early next month, Patricia Julien, who wrote her doctoral thesis on some of Wayne's compositions from the Blakey era, will present her work.

Bertrand.

Brownie,

I would definitely enjoy meeting you on this trip - last time around, I was with my wife and 3-year-old son, so we did a lot of family stuff and I didn't have a chance to hook up with any of my jazz friends.

This time, it's just me and my son, so I can hook up with people while he hangs out with grandma!

I put tickets on hold for all the Shorter concerts (apparently, you just have to pay an hour ahead) except the duet with Herbie which was sold out. I will try to get a ticket through other contacts, since I am not sure I would necessarily find a ticket through the last-minute cancellations.

We leave D.C. on 1/17, so I will send you a PM before that, with my mother's phone number.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand